Fashion & Apparel

Tights with shorts in the gym

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 2:55 pm
Feb 8, 2017
245 posts
93 upvotes
i wear tights under my shorts when i run because on runs over 10k the lining in the shorts will chafe and who needs that?? I'm sure it looks so Andre Agassi 80's style but i don't care if the boys are not chafing.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4749 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
When running outside in the winter I have the warmer tights with shorts over top. Nothing fashionable about it, just want an extra outer layer as a wind breaker for those parts.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
I wear tights with boxer briefs underneath when I do Olympic weightlifting. It's always funny walking into a restaurant after the gym session and picking up food. I do get stares from both guys and girls, but whatever.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8076 posts
1263 upvotes
I would never wear compression / tights without shorts. I don't want anyone staring and really no one does with shorts on top.

I didn't really wear them at all over the summer. I find them too hot also. I wore them for the first time in a while this week. My wife seems to really like the look also, so she says. Lol.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
At the gym I go to, I would say I see more people in just tights rather than tights with shorts.

Then again, I have to compete in a singlet, so wearing tights is actually more clothing than I'm used to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8076 posts
1263 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:26 pm
At the gym I go to, I would say I see more people in just tights rather than tights with shorts.

Then again, I have to compete in a singlet, so wearing tights is actually more clothing than I'm used to.
I think it's a little different if you are a competitive athlete.

I'm just a 40 something in the gym trying to stay fit.
Jun 7, 2009
228 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:18 am
I think it's a little different if you are a competitive athlete.

I'm just a 40 something in the gym trying to stay fit.
I suppose you're right, but I'm not a super serious competitor. I would say it's probably also more accepted in weightlifting / powerlifting since the competitive attire is already as tight as tights, whereas within bodybuilding or just going to the gym, there's no necessity for tighter clothing.
Feb 8, 2017
245 posts
93 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 7:28 pm
I wear tights with boxer briefs underneath when I do Olympic weightlifting. It's always funny walking into a restaurant after the gym session and picking up food. I do get stares from both guys and girls, but whatever.
helps keep the insides in their place if when you are squatting 500 lbs
Oct 26, 2016
360 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Always shorts overtop of the compression tights for me.

There is no room for fitted boxer briefs under the tights because the compression is too much.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’ve seen guys at my gym with the tights and shorts. Most of them are in their 20s - early 30s

It just seems weird to me. I’ll wear shorts only, gets too hot if I have anything else on
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1089 posts
238 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Something I don't get is why guys work so hard for a sculpted body doesn't want to show it off and especially the legs. I can see 90% of the guys at the gym with chicken legs covering up with jogger pants but the ones who actually don't skip leg days don't even bother showing them. Me, I spend at least 15min on legs at every workout and I wear a form fitting short to show off my thunder calves and thighs. Personally I think tights/leggings are fine and even without short covers but I still wouldn't wear them because I don't like the feeling of almost nakedness like wearing super light long johns.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8076 posts
1263 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 3:25 am
I’ve seen guys at my gym with the tights and shorts. Most of them are in their 20s - early 30s

It just seems weird to me. I’ll wear shorts only, gets too hot if I have anything else on
I think warmth in the winter is key but I also believe they help with my joint pain.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kool1 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:11 pm
I think warmth in the winter is key but I also believe they help with my joint pain.
You're indoors. How cold can it be?