• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 10:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2005
158 posts
54 upvotes

Tiling shower ceiling

Hi,

We are looking to redo our shower in the basement and would like to get some opinions here.

We like the idea of large format tiles (12x24) with tiling over the ceiling in the shower as well. But a few people have told us that it can be dangerous to hang heavy porcelain tiles.

Our contractor says he don’t recommend it for this reason but will do it if this is what we like. When we start to look at the existing shower, the ceiling is actually under soft fits around duct and not directly on the joists. This makes us have second thoughts as to how secure the soft fits are attached...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
10 replies
Apr 6, 2008
773 posts
333 upvotes
The issue isn't the framing or drywall. It's the adhesive holding the tiles on to the ceiling due to the heavy tiles. When we did our custom bathroom, we had 12'x24" tiles on the floor, and did a similar colour just smaller 6"x18" tiles on the ceiling. Turned out really nice.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2682 posts
843 upvotes
I have seen it done, and seen it not done,

In all honesty, if not done really well, it can look like crap esp with the lining up of the tiles in the pattern you select. Plus you have the added expense of installing your tile around pots you have in the shower, and a rain head if applicable.

When I did my bathroom reno, I went with mold proof drywall, one coat of primer, and two coats of eggshell latex. I have to clean it twice a year, if that.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
For basement bathroom we did cement board along with vapour barrier behind it. There is a paint redgard or something that can be used as well for moisture barrier. Experts can correct me on this... most tiles not waterproof, yes? Believe there is waterproof grout although have not seen it regularly used.

Large tiles on sides all the way up and smaller lighter tiles on ceiling. Have normal shower head [ok, it is on fancy side but not rain shower]. Have one potlight in shower ceiling and lights over vanity as well.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15862 posts
1328 upvotes
Thornhill
For ceilings, I’d recommend:
- green drywall or regular drywall + RedGard paint-on membrane
- PL 200 or PL premium tiles to ceiling
- smaller 6x6 tiles

Well, that’s what I’ve done for all my projects.

I’ve also seen people use thinset, but applied in circles so that sufficient suction is created when the tile is put against the ceiling.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jun 12, 2009
614 posts
180 upvotes
I'd go with tiles. My 10-yr old house showers are all fitted with those and I'm glad; they look much better than dry-walled ceilings.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2005
158 posts
54 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions folks, very helpful. If ceiling was attached directly on the floor joists, we would’ve not hesitate.....I am afraid that the soft fits may come lose due to the add on weight from the tiles. Am I over thinking this?
[OP]
Nov 26, 2005
158 posts
54 upvotes
After some research online, we like this idea of having white tiles on ceiling like the picture. We are thinking 3x6 small gloss white ceramic tiles should look nice and they are lighter than porcelain, they have some at HD for like $.34 cents a piece. What do you guys think?
Images
  • 7C62BE7E-B7FC-44C6-94C6-EDF1C6726686.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6379 posts
1424 upvotes
Maple
Heavy duty adhesive for 12x24 tiles (should get from tiles stores). I had them in my 2 standup showers for 3 years now.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15862 posts
1328 upvotes
Thornhill
tennisfan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:09 pm
Thanks for the suggestions folks, very helpful. If ceiling was attached directly on the floor joists, we would’ve not hesitate.....I am afraid that the soft fits may come lose due to the add on weight from the tiles. Am I over thinking this?
I think you're over thinking it. I've built those boxes before and I was able to hang off them and do chin-ups :) Then again, I built them with construction screws rather than nails.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)