Food & Drink

Tim Hortons Coffee Undrinkable?

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2019 12:00 pm
Aug 23, 2005
966 posts
92 upvotes

Tim Hortons Coffee Undrinkable?

Did anyone notice a change in Tim Hortons coffee?
It has been horrible recently, thought it was me but I asked few colleagues and they all confirmed that they can't drink it anymore. Guess they changed the recipe, coffee beans but definitely something changed
34 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
... only now you realized this. It has been bad for at least the last 5 yrs Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
They are only popular because of convenience, ask most people and they will take McDonalds, Starbucks and Second Cup over timmies anyday, their coffee is terrible.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
If I get a coffee at TH, I have to get it with at least 2 cream and a sugar in order to help mask the taste
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
It has always been crap. If I drink Tims only dark roast. The reg coffee is like sewage water. I have no clue how people drink it black. Disgusting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Tim Hortons coffee was only good before they became a "thing". Last time I had a good coffee from them was in 1997. I am not kidding because I remember the year because I went on a memorable camping trip and picked some up on my travels.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
It changes all the time. The threads about TH changing their coffee seem to be monthly/bi-monthly.

When you think about how to keep consistency at the cafes, the machines need to be clean every so often so people notice different locations coffee tastes different.

Also, to keep up with demand they are sourcing beans all the time and coming up with blends to TRY to come with a consistent flavour. Whether they are trying to make black coffee consistent or signature double-doubles is something else.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Everyone here drinks Mcds Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 23, 2005
966 posts
92 upvotes
Yes I know its been bad for a while but its been horrible lately
I prefer McD coffee over TH but used to get it as it was convenient

Now I dont think I will even consider the convenience anymore :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: Tim Hortons coffee was only good before they became a "thing". Last time I had a good coffee from them was in 1997. I am not kidding because I remember the year because I went on a memorable camping trip and picked some up on my travels.
There is STILL a HUGE difference in taste between TH coffee in Lindsay Ontario and Toronto Ontario.
Very strange.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote: There is STILL a HUGE difference in taste between TH coffee in Lindsay Ontario and Toronto Ontario.
Very strange.
Including New York State. The Tim's coffee down there is similar to Dunkin's, no where close to what it tastes here.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Tastes fine to me
It actually tastes like McDonald’s now
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Zephyr22b wrote: If I get a coffee at TH, I have to get it with at least 2 cream and a sugar in order to help mask the taste
Yes. Tim Hortons coffee is only viable as a delivery medium for caffeine, cream and sugar. I'll only take it in emergency situations. I much prefer McDonald's.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
I grab mcdonalds if i have a choice. Its an excellent compromise between convenience price and taste.

A&w have been popping up near me... they also have good coffe but i only tried once bc its out of my way.

My guilty pleasure is scarfing down their burger and root beer... but thats another topic!!
Aug 12, 2012
878 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fattyburger11 wrote: Did timmies change their donuts too?

I just picked up a chocolate dip donut and it clearly has less icing on it than before.

In the past there was so much icing, it was maybe 2mm thick at least and covered to the perimeter of the donut. So much so the donuts will stick to each other when you pack them in a box. The donut I picked up today, along with the other ones on display, only had a thin top layer of icing and it doesn't even go anywhere near the perimeter with an obvious bezel around the donut. Thickness is less than 1mm for sure. wtf? The last time I had a timmies donut was maybe a month ago and it was still the regular style then.

I'm not sure if it's just that batch today or if this is their new strategy. Don't tell me this is yet another establishment skimping on ingredients to hide the fact inflation is happening?

Also, very disappointing if they are changing their donuts. My MO is to never go again if the value or taste is not there. I'm watching Timmies. The next time my donut is like this, then it's a new trend and I might stop going.
Their donuts are so sad now. I'm not a baker, so I don't know exactly what it is (under proofed, par baked?) but they're not fluffy at all, they're small, and usually very dry. They make frequent appearances in the office and they're always disappointing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote: I don't think they bought the old tims? Why does everyone think this... I google.. nothing.. just random threads or comments
You should be able to find something about the actual brand of coffee that McDonald's currently uses and match it up with a brand of coffee that was once sold at TH...(?)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sep 21, 2017
483 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
ericlewis91 wrote: I don't think they bought the old tims? Why does everyone think this... I google.. nothing.. just random threads or comments
I have seen this repeated over and over online but I'm almost 100% sure Mcdonalds does not use the old Tim Horton's recipe. Tim hortons used to be supplied by Mother Parkers then a few years ago they switched to making their own blend. Around the same time Mcdonalds in Canada started using Mother Parkers for their coffee. The same company supplies different blends of coffee to many different companies and wholesalers. Mcdonald's receive their own special blend but its hard to find out exactly what it is. I think Mcdonald's spent a lot of time and money to find the best blend because the coffee is much better than it used to be. I remember growing up everyone would complain about how terrible it was.

Tim Horton's is honestly really bad to me. I can barely drink it without tons of cream and sugar. I also hate the lids that they use.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)