tim hortons franchise a joke

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 9:07 am
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
I love the coffee as typically I just want to get that middle-of-da-road coffee taste in my mouth when on, um, the road. The donuts are shit since they start par-baking the frozen ones that are distributed to the stores. The food is not bad.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
fred koenig wrote: On a different note the deals from the McDonalds and Tim Hortons apps are excellent. I just had a free latte with an extra shot at tims yesterday (roll up the rim in app) and used their wifi too.
Mcdonalds often has $3 big macs when you use their app and they will bring it out to your car if you like.
1.50 mama burgers and 3.00 uncle burgers are a good deal at A&W IMO. I cannot believe the "regular" prices for these.

I agree that tim hortons is not going anywhere, they are always busy.
At the nearest major intersection to where I live they remodeled a gas station to put in a tim hortons directly across the street from a gas station with a tim hortons.
Where are the deals in the tims app?
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
277 upvotes
eonibm wrote: I love the coffee as typically I just want to get that middle-of-da-road coffee taste in my mouth when on, um, the road. The donuts are shit since they start par-baking the frozen ones that are distributed to the stores. The food is not bad.
You're right, the food is not bad. It's much worse than bad. The coffee is not very good either, but for what it is, priced as it is, it's OK.

This is an interesting thread in that our personal feelings towards a company do not necessarily correspond to their stock being a good investment.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
I buy Tims because it's at the gas bar I fill up my work vehicle . The coffe sucks the food terrible . But for most on the run its the convince not the quality .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2007
1210 posts
920 upvotes
Kitchener
their stores are dirty, you could hardly find a clean table.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
zakarydoks wrote: At least Starbucks have free refills.
HIGH FIVE!!!!

Starbucks is always clean. Washrooms too. Better clientele.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
llpresident wrote: Tim Hortons will be fine. They have never been in competition with SBUX. It’s a different demographic.

McDonalds is a competitor but not a terribly good one in terms of coffee. McDonald’s has the slowest drive thru of any chain so the idea of waiting 30 mins to get a coffee is not really an option for anyone other than retirees.

There are still big lines at all Tim Hortons. I don’t own the company but I would buy it.

If you are pissed you don’t get paid brakes anymore or you have to pay for your Tim Hortons hat or whatever the issue is, just go find another job. I’m hiring
Then you should go work there.

I line up in their express line and they refuse to serve me. After ten minutes the staff informs me I have to join the regular line. What kind of nonsense is this?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
zcypher wrote: You're right, the food is not bad. It's much worse than bad. The coffee is not very good either, but for what it is, priced as it is, it's OK.

This is an interesting thread in that our personal feelings towards a company do not necessarily correspond to their stock being a good investment.
their stock is not a good investment. of course, Rodbarc had some great points, but I disagree with his thesis.

If you had bought QSR on the TSX April 18 , 2017, at $75.84, it's currently trading at $68.26.
From a stock price perspective you are down almost 10%. (not factoring in dividend, but dividend makes up for about 3%).

If you bought at it's HIGH of $88 in October 2016, you are down +20%.

Now of course, anyone can cherry pick stats to make a UP/DOWN analysis... But the trend is downwards.

Take a look at it's current head and shoulders top from mid 2017 to mid 2018. It's hitting lower lows and lower highs.

PE of 25.59

Sure, someone here will point its run up from beginning 2016 to it's peak in late 2017... .. but most stocks have the same rise... except QSR couldn't maitain it.. Which means a lot more people selling this dog than buying it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
There is a limit to how long you can rest on your laurels in business: thinking you can serve up whatever you like and the loyal customers will keep on buying it because its Canada's favorite by birthright. Tim Horton's will be a future MBA class case study about how to gradually kill a business by a thousand cuts. How losing respect for your customer and underestimating your competition spells doom. How a franchise can destroy itself from within due to stakeholders only being interested in furthering themselves having lost customer focus. It won't be the first to fail, it won't be the last, and it won't be the biggest.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
I'm not a fan TH (or any coffee shop for that matter, I make my own). I don't like their coffee, but their lattes are way better than Starbucks or McDonalds (whose coffee is also shit IMO). Also every TH that I've seen has always been busy - line-ups inside and drive-thru so doesn't seem like they have a problem attracting customers of all backgrounds, at least outside Toronto.

Also didn't they just finish renovating most of their restaurants? Why on earth would they have another makeover so quickly - that doesn't make sense.
Last edited by hierophant on Apr 17th, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
hierophant wrote:
Also didn't they just finish renovating most of their restaurants? Why on earth would they have another makeover so quickly - that doesn't make sense.
Part of the self-destruction process. They have dropped from 5 to 50 in brand recognition survey. Panic sets in. Expensive branding consultants are brought in. They recommend a re-branding strategy (why wouldn't they when they will be paid a small fortune). Whole exercise creates more franchisee unrest, more business disruption, and unnecessary expense - and at the same time why not throw a head office relocation into the mix.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1840 upvotes
Ontario
cocotheparrot wrote: Then you should go work there.

I line up in their express line and they refuse to serve me. After ten minutes the staff informs me I have to join the regular line. What kind of nonsense is this?
I run my own business working 80 hours per week so taking on another job might prove difficult.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10977 posts
14468 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Any see their new awful commercial with the flash mob dancing? Just ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2017
1585 posts
2129 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about you guys. I work in downtown toronto and the lineups at timmys is pretty insane. The wait time is so long that I decided to download the app recently so I don't have to wait anymore. Had you guys not mentioned that they were in trouble, I thought they were doing pretty well.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
CheapMang wrote: I don't know about you guys. I work in downtown toronto and the lineups at timmys is pretty insane. The wait time is so long that I decided to download the app recently so I don't have to wait anymore. Had you guys not mentioned that they were in trouble, I thought they were doing pretty well.
There are a few things are play, because I know what you mean about the lines up in the Path.

1) People go on break, and it gives them something to do. Standing in a line with their colleagues, chatting it up... They like that.
2) People are really cheap, and want their morning brew
3) People go for a walk

Starbucks is equally busy.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
llpresident wrote: I run my own business working 80 hours per week so taking on another job might prove difficult.
Maybe I will go work there. I will brighten up things.

Why don't they hire good looking staff like Starbucks?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Tim Hortons used to have a very good French Onion soup. Now they use dehydrated onions and half the cheese. It's really gross.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10989 posts
13539 upvotes
WSJ paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mcdonalds- ... 1528754609

McDonald’s Promises Franchisees More Support
Company expects to record a pretax charge of $80 million to $90 million in reorganization

June 11, 2018 6:03 p.m. ET
McDonald’s Corp. is expected Tuesday to detail the changes to its organizational structure in the U.S., which it says entails providing more resources to franchisees...

via Seeking Alpha: The decision will also include a number of layoffs, form a single point of contact to help each franchisee build business plans and create a new executive position called Chief Transformation Officer to oversee the changes.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
950 upvotes
what about for those folks that want a family run franchise, less if any employee hassles, work it as a Mom & Pop, the kids or family run business.

is M&M worth the consideration?

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/en/franchi ... investment

basically it wont make folks super rich, simply 'gives everyone in the family an income' for a 'do it yourself'

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)