• Nov 11th, 2017 2:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26202 posts
6061 upvotes
GTHA

Tim Hortons hikes prices, plans expansion into Spain

Tim Hortons has raised prices of “hot beverage and breakfast menu items” across Canada as of Aug. 2. The menu items are expected to cost 10 cents more.

First announced in stores, the coffee chain said price increases were because of “rising operational costs”.

Tim Hortons, like Popeyes or Burger King, is owned by Restaurant Brands International. It will expand the coffee chain into Spain soon. The brand has already expanded into Mexico, United Kingdom and the Philippines.

The price hike is the second in three years. When Tim Hortons first opened in Hamilton in 1964, a cup of coffee cost 10 cents.

from https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/7 ... nto-spain/
Images
  • 64c7af1351fb24bcc18a1632c51235e8.jpg
Last edited by tk1000 on Jul 27th, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3311 posts
440 upvotes
Lol so they increase now so they can add another increase in Jan after the $14/hr
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3346 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
They are more expensive in Scotland despite the lower minimum wage (although I assume rent is higher, but I could be wrong). They charge the same coffee prices there as Glasgow Starbucks. £1.20 for a small filtered coffee, including 20% sales tax (VAT).

Tim Hortons is arguably too cheap. We are spending hours of our lives waiting in line when we have access to almost free coffee at work and at home. If they charge more, the lines will be shorter and those of us who really value the coffee or food will be served faster.

That being said I'm eager to try their new pre-order Tim Hortons app (not to be confused with their TimmyMe app). Apparently it works by GPS and the clerks are supposed to start preparing orders when customers are "3 minutes away". Seems hopelessly optimistic, but we'll see. I'll be turning on the data and pointing my phone to the sky as I walk to the outlets. Not sure how the app figures out the mode of transportation. I'll try to resist the urge to jog or stop to tie my shoes along the way. :)
Last edited by MonctonMan on Jul 28th, 2017 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3346 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
Engi-Nir wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 1:13 am
Lol so they increase now so they can add another increase in Jan after the $14/hr
There are 10 provinces in Canada, each with their own minimum wage.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
Lots of places have upped prices recently - from regular restaurants to other fast food places.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
Where?
natalka wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 6:11 am
Lots of places have upped prices recently - from regular restaurants to other fast food places.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Will this price increase cause a decrease in the amount of Tim Hortons litter on the streets?!?!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
they don't have blueberry bagels anymore...who doesn't have blueberry bagels?

I stopped buying donuts for the summer because they melt by the time you get home so I was going to buy some bagels and they told me they don't have blueberry bagels being sold anymore

did something happen to the price or laws to sell blueberries? they stopped the blueberry fritter and also mcdonalds stopped blueberry pie's
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15794 posts
4694 upvotes
Ottawa
No increase on the ice caps and fruit chill...still has me as a customer.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 8:22 am
Where?
Of course, it varies upon cities, but for example - at one of our fave restaurants here, for one of the meals we frequently order, the price went up $2 to 18.95 - and we used to get soup and salad, now we just get to choose one of them.
For FF, the one that first comes to mind is KFC - even with the coupons, the prices have gone up.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3903 posts
1103 upvotes
Canadian Logic:

Housing prices skyrocket as the Canadian Dollar decreases in value .... happiness that was earned through hard work and dedication.

Price of coffee increases as the Canadian Dollar decreases in value .... riots.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8377 posts
1338 upvotes
getting expensive for breakfast here now

a large coffee and muffin is around 3.75 now, at MCDs its 2.30 and you can get a free refill later in the day.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16618 posts
1036 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Not surprising. They'll keep raising prices as long as the demand is there. I was a McDonalds coffee guy but after they jacked up the price of a coffee and muffin I just started making my own. Get a machine that'll turn on automatically in the morning and you can get way better coffee. That being said, I'm only a 1 cup guy so I guess that might be an issue for people who drink more than 1.