• Nov 11th, 2017 2:59 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3311 posts
440 upvotes
renoldman wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 9:32 am
Canadian Logic:

Housing prices skyrocket as the Canadian Dollar decreases in value .... happiness that was earned through hard work and dedication.

Price of coffee increases as the Canadian Dollar decreases in value .... riots.

Exactly, they should be happy that they are basically living in million dollar homes, and should be accustomed to that lifestyle, spending money like they have money.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3344 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
The new Tim Hortons app allows some data mining.

Tim Hortons pre-tax small coffee prices: NWT: $1.69, BC & AB: $1.49, SK: $1.39, MB: $1.33, Ontario: $1.43, QC, NB, NS, PE: $1.35, NF: $1.37. There are slight intra-province variations, for example Tim Hortons in Banff charges $1.59. But mostly prices are province-wide.

The pre-tax prices vary in the USA as well. From US$1.45 in Buffalo NY to US$1.75 in Bangor Maine!

Something to consider: Based on experience and social media research, tipping at Tim Hortons is quite common in Quebec and Atlantic Canada and quite rare in Ontario and Alberta. Although it might also be a rural-urban thing. Tipping in this context is in the tradition of To Insure Prompt service, as the money is given to the cashier, often before the drink is prepared.

Minimum wages across Canada:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_Canada

Small Icecaps made with chocolate milk instead of cream: $2.29 accros most of Canada. $2.69 in Yellowknife and WoodBuffalo. $2.19 at one downtown Vancouver location. US$2.39 in all USA locations (chocolate milk not available in Buffalo).

Small Ice coffee made with chocolate milk instead of cream: on sale for $0.99 across the country including Yellowknife. Regular price $1.59 across the country except Yellowknife at $1.99.

On sale for US$0.99 in Bangor, regular price US$2.19 !!!
Buffalo: US$1.99 and chocolate milk not available.

The menu in the new app changes based on the time. For example, at 23:24 Sunday night, I can't price food. 10 Timbits would be a good comparison item as there is no GST/HST. The higher small coffee prices in Ontario, Alberta and BC seem motivated by their provincial tax exempt status.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9163 posts
3256 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 9:23 pm
The new Tim Hortons app allows some data mining.

Tim Hortons pre-tax small coffee prices: NWT: $1.69, BC & AB: $1.49, SK: $1.39, MB: $1.33, Ontario: $1.43, QC, NB, NS, PE: $1.35, NF: $1.37. There are slight intra-province variations, for example Tim Hortons in Banff charges $1.59. But mostly prices are province-wide.

The pre-tax prices vary in the USA as well. From US$1.45 in Buffalo NY to US$1.75 in Bangor Maine!

Something to consider: Based on experience and social media research, tipping at Tim Hortons is quite common in Quebec and Atlantic Canada and quite rare in Ontario and Alberta. Although it might also be a rural-urban thing. Tipping in this context is in the tradition of To Insure Prompt service, as the money is given to the cashier, often before the drink is prepared.

Minimum wages across Canada:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_Canada

Small Icecaps made with chocolate milk instead of cream: $2.29 accros most of Canada. $2.69 in Yellowknife and WoodBuffalo. $2.19 at one downtown Vancouver location. US$2.39 in all USA locations (chocolate milk not available in Buffalo).

Small Ice coffee made with chocolate milk instead of cream: on sale for $0.99 across the country including Yellowknife. Regular price $1.59 across the country except Yellowknife at $1.99.

On sale for US$0.99 in Bangor, regular price US$2.19 !!!
Buffalo: US$1.99 and chocolate milk not available.

The menu in the new app changes based on the time. For example, at 23:24 Sunday night, I can't price food. 10 Timbits would be a good comparison item as there is no GST/HST. The higher small coffee prices in Ontario, Alberta and BC seem motivated by their provincial tax exempt status.
Anyone want to get the stats for minimum wage in the various provinces? It's not like the price of raw material is different...

Ok got it:

NWT: $1.69,12.50
BC 1.49, 12.20
AB: $1.49, 10.85
SK: $1.39, 10.72
MB: $1.33, 11.00
Ontario: $1.43, 11.40
QC, 1.35, 11.25
NB, 1.35, 11.00
NS, 1.35, 10.85
PE: $1.35, 11.25
NF: $1.37. 10.75

So BC is getting a free ride, SK & AB getting short changed...and I'm sure transportation logistics are a little more complicated for NF than SK....

Usual crock o shit from a crappy company.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Aug 21, 2012
37 posts
64 upvotes
PORT MOODY
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 10:20 am
Anyone want to get the stats for minimum wage in the various provinces? It's not like the price of raw material is different...

Ok got it:

NWT: $1.69,12.50
BC 1.49, 12.20
AB: $1.49, 10.85
SK: $1.39, 10.72
MB: $1.33, 11.00
Ontario: $1.43, 11.40
QC, 1.35, 11.25
NB, 1.35, 11.00
NS, 1.35, 10.85
PE: $1.35, 11.25
NF: $1.37. 10.75

So BC is getting a free ride, SK & AB getting short changed...and I'm sure transportation logistics are a little more complicated for NF than SK....

Usual crock o shit from a crappy company.
Your prices are backwards. BC minimum wage is 10.85/hr, AB is 12.20... Not a big mistake in an online forum until you start touting free rides. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14534 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
Same quality, but at a higher price.

Gotcha'.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9163 posts
3256 upvotes
Ottawa
penguinqueen wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 5:02 pm
Your prices are backwards. BC minimum wage is 10.85/hr, AB is 12.20... Not a big mistake in an online forum until you start touting free rides. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're right my bad. So Alberta is getting the free ride.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3344 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 8:12 pm
You're right my bad. So Alberta is getting the free ride.
For small coffee, it's about the final price of the coffee. Alberta, Ontario and BC don't charge any provincial tax (under $4 in Ontario), so they charge more. However, the price discrepancy doesn't apply to other products they sell.

In most places, I think they probably charge less than everyone else for coffee. So it is all about the psychology of paying $1.50 ish.

Could be based on hydro rates, but then Quebec and Manitoba Tim Hortons would charge much less.

In all provinces and Yellowknife, they charge $1.59 plus tax for 237ml of milk. Donuts are the same price from Newfoundland to Ontario: $5.59 (too late in the day to order donuts online out west).

By the way, if you decide to pull a Steve Fonyo and walk across Canada, if you arrive at the estimated time in the app (you can switch from car to foot), your order will be ready when you arrive. Corporate will send the order to the franchise 3 minutes before you are predicted to arrive. You can turn your phone off after you ordered, doesn't matter. Not sure what happens if you arrive more than 3 minutes early. If you arrive late, your coffee will be cold.

If you order for the drive-through, your order will be prepared when you arrive at the drive through. Tell the speakerphone person your name or give them your order number, and they will start preparing it. You can then skip the cash window. Although don't drive to fast as they are preparing your food while you drive from the speakerphone to the pickup window.

I plan on using the time savings working in a soup kitchen and building houses for the more fortunate with Habitat for Humanity. :)
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2869 posts
768 upvotes
Paris
No surprise considering the ongoing war between Tim's franchisees and the cost cutting Burger King ownership. Tim's is being run into the ground
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jun 25, 2011
279 posts
101 upvotes
Alberta
I already saw price increase since last month. Tim Horton small coffee now cost $1.56 with GST as compared to $1.50 before. I am not sure if this is the new hike on top of what we had last month. I drastically cut down on my Tim Horton Coffee as now I buy 18 pack coffee sachet from superstore for $6 which makes around $0.30 a cup coffee for me and it taste much better than Tim Horton's hot sugary water (coffee).
Feb 18, 2014
74 posts
45 upvotes
Burnaby
Guess they've reached a limit on shrinking portions and cutting quality. Still remember those big, delicious, baked in store donuts.
Jun 25, 2011
279 posts
101 upvotes
Alberta
I already saw price increase since last month. Tim Horton small coffee now cost $1.56 with GST as compared to $1.50 before. I am not sure if this is the new hike on top of what we had last month. I drastically cut down on my Tim Horton Coffee as now I buy 18 pack coffee sachet from superstore for $6 which makes around $0.30 a cup coffee for me and it taste much better than Tim Horton's hot sugary water (coffee).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3449 posts
163 upvotes
Make the birthday cake donuts a permanent menu item and I'll accept the increase.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
Alot of people will still religiously buy from them. It's a free market. Good for them.
Feb 22, 2009
294 posts
233 upvotes
Whitby
Keurig people. Tims is very expensive. TIMS-bucks by 2018.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9163 posts
3256 upvotes
Ottawa
dyalect wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 12:20 pm
Keurig people. Tims is very expensive. TIMS-bucks by 2018.
I can definitely see that happening (a loyalty program) to lure back clients who left due to high prices or low quality...the dummies will go back with their tail between their legs.
- Mark Twain