Food & Drink

Tim Hortons hikes prices thread (updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 12:33 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4715 posts
351 upvotes
Victoria
I find the frozen donuts from Tim's make me sick afterwards. I don't have that reaction to any other donut. Just Tim's. I throw up in my mouth a little thinking about it.
Jul 6, 2008
644 posts
115 upvotes
London
I just don't get how people pay $2.30 for powder and water for a hot chocolate
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3544 posts
966 upvotes
Moncton
ericlewis91 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:43 am
I just don't get how people pay $2.30 for powder and water for a hot chocolate
Not just any powder:
Hot Chocolate: Sugar, creaming agent (hydrogenated oils [coconut or palm kernel and/or soy oils], corn syrup, modified milk ingredients, sugar, dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglycerides, sodium aluminum silicate, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, salt), cocoa, salt, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, tricalcium phosphate, artificial flavour (contains calcium stearate), soy lecithin.
https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/pdf/In ... Canada.pdf

Coffee shops are the “3rd place” away from home and work. $2.30 is cheaper than what you’d pay for a beer in a bar.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Aug 18, 2010
1 posts
Calgary
Why is there no news on TH changing prices? They jacked up the Boston Cream donut from $0.99 to $1.19, calling it a "premium" donut. Supposedly, the apple fritter is also a "premium" donut. They are a private corporation and sure, they can raise prices however they want, but I find it kind of ridiculous that these are "premium" donuts. I guess only the classic donuts are the plain donuts with no icing or anything added. They might as well have a new category for "premium hole-filed donuts" since they require more material. Ok, just ranting a bit :)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4763 posts
413 upvotes
Scarborough
I guess they gotta get ready for the new minimum wages and those benefits and sick days and all mandated by the govt for the workers. Pass the costs to customer.
I'm surprised its nor jacked upto 1.50 or 2 bucks already, but maybe in 2019.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3544 posts
966 upvotes
Moncton
The Boston Cream price increase is only in Alberta and Ontario.

Tim Hortons donuts are more expensive in the US and the UK. Given the rediculous lineups, Tim Hortons can probably get away with charging more. You can easily compensate for the price increase by skipping the donut once in a while.

What I don’t get is why Ontario still exempts “meals” under $4 from provincial sales tax.
Dec 12, 2010
88 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 7:26 pm
I guess they gotta get ready for the new minimum wages and those benefits and sick days and all mandated by the govt for the workers. Pass the costs to customer.
I'm surprised its nor jacked upto 1.50 or 2 bucks already, but maybe in 2019.
That's just the current excuse. If they lowered the minimum wage would Tim Hortons lower the prices for their customers? Nah. They will keep raising it regardless of minimum wage because so many people still buy their garbage.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4073 posts
1737 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hotsaucepls wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:08 pm
Why is there no news on TH changing prices? They jacked up the Boston Cream donut from $0.99 to $1.19, calling it a "premium" donut. Supposedly, the apple fritter is also a "premium" donut. They are a private corporation and sure, they can raise prices however they want, but I find it kind of ridiculous that these are "premium" donuts. I guess only the classic donuts are the plain donuts with no icing or anything added. They might as well have a new category for "premium hole-filed donuts" since they require more material. Ok, just ranting a bit :)
I'd be happy if they actually started making donuts again instead of shipping in frozen crap. If they were good like they used to be I'd pay more.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
181 upvotes
Omg, get your shizz together TH. Don’t make Canada look bad.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19403 posts
2876 upvotes
Poormond Hill
hotsaucepls wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:08 pm
TK1000 Thread About Raising Prices/Expansions
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3544 posts
966 upvotes
Moncton
Do you tip at Tim Hortons? I wonder if the more expensive donut prices in Alberta and Ontario has anything to do with the lack of tipping, making recruitment and retention in those markets more difficult. It is still a common practice in small towns and anywhere east of Ontario, but obviously less common with cashless payments, although Starbucks does a good job at prompting for tips via their app.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2779 posts
692 upvotes
Mississauga
Any loose change I get from a Timmies purchase usually goes in their camp fund box.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7912 posts
660 upvotes
Funny, I was at TH yesterday and saw the prices and thought "wow they still only charge $0.99 for most of the donuts?"

I guess I haven't been in a while...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11792 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 9:09 pm
What I don’t get is why Ontario still exempts “meals” under $4 from provincial sales tax.
It's a very old rule and it needs an increase to $6 (or so) to get with the times.
When that rule was first introduced, I was able to get a Big mac fries and a drink for $3.99.
Inflation kicks in, but that $4 rule stays the same? It's so stupid...
(Better yet, update that rule to be $10 or less with all the inflation that is about to hit to pay the $14/hr wage in January 2018)
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14400 posts
2650 upvotes
Toronto
Some of the specialty donuts at $1.59 are way too much just for different sprinkles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)