Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27834 posts
6675 upvotes
GTHA

Tim Hortons launches darker, richer Dark Roast - impressions

Press release: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/co ... 46323.html

Previous Dark Roast thread: tim-hortons-dark-roast-impressions-1401838/
Today, Tim Hortons announced the introduction of a darker, richer Dark Roast coffee, now available in Restaurants across Canada, inspired by Guest feedback. Launched in 2014, Dark Roast was the first introduction of a new blend to Tim Hortons in over 50 years.

"Our Dark Roast has come back stronger, and we encourage our Guests to come and taste the difference for themselves," said Sami Siddiqui, President Tim Hortons Canada. "We are confident that current Dark Roast drinkers and new guests alike will enjoy our darker, richer roast."

The Dark Roast blend features premium 100 per cent Arabica beans, sourced from world renowned coffee regions.

"This darker blend features subtle hints of cocoa and earthy tones," said Kevin West, Head of Coffee Operations for Tim Hortons, "The beans are roasted longer to deliver a darker, richer taste with a delightfully smooth finish."
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2623 posts
1444 upvotes
Sounds like Timmie's is getting really desparate... Really? Re-releasing Dark Roast? Lol.

Their coffee tastes like water most of the time anyways, and their food is not the greatest. I much prefer McDonald's coffee.

I'll try it once if I'm ever in a Timmie's though.
Feb 8, 2017
255 posts
104 upvotes
if timmies is the only option then it has to be dark roast. can't drink the regular blend anymore
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11544 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it matters what blend they brew. The actual taste (of their regular coffee) keeps changing from location to location. They really need to fix that problem first.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2407 posts
42 upvotes
That is a problem that will never go away because of human error. There are a whole host of factors that leads to bad coffee like machines not being cleaned, coffee sitting out pass their 20 min mark, unclean pots etc.

There are standards that are suppose to be met every shift but it only takes one person or one shift to miss something and that will throw it off. You add in the huge amount of locations and workers, your coffee is going to taste different unless you frequent only 1 everyday. Even then, one person or one shift can cause problems.

I know because I worked there. We tried our best each shift but sometimes things get overlooked which they shouldn't be. Also before I left, they were testing a 3 peaks brew at certain locations. I wonder how that went.

playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 5:28 am
I don't think it matters what blend they brew. The actual taste (of their regular coffee) keeps changing from location to location. They really need to fix that problem first.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11544 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
danman227460 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 8:31 am
That is a problem that will never go away because of human error.
Then why isn't McDonald's having the same problem?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2407 posts
42 upvotes
They don't use glass pots like Tim's does. Tim's only uses the metal ones for dark roast and decaf. Now if they switch over the metal pots for all roasts, that might change. But I have had varying degrees of sweetness and taste with my coffee from McDonalds also. I can see your point where McDonald's coffee might be a stronger taste which masks some of the issues unlike Tim's where since it is already weak, any difference is more pronounced.

That is one thing I believe McDonlads has done correctly is noticed how bad their previous coffee was and improved it. They had nothing to lose. Tim's is using the method of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. People go to Tim's like a religion and any pronounced change to their base brew is going to cause chaos. They rather introduce new brews to give people a choice but also retain the people who keep going back.
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:25 am
Then why isn't McDonald's having the same problem?
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6270 posts
1140 upvotes
Got coupons in the mail today.
Images
  • 20170308_133441.jpg
Mar 1, 2008
669 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
I tried the dark roast before this re-release. I find it all right if I don't dump a lot of cream or sugar into it.
Jun 24, 2015
772 posts
67 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I got coupons a few weeks ago, I must say, the dark roast tastes very nice. Well played Timmy's Well Played Timmies!