• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2012 10:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
That would be awesome, but people will just abuse it at my local timmies. People pay for small coffee. Sit for several hours looking at other people.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Syne wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 10:44 am
Why do the telcos scream and throw a fit when Teksavvy resells their bandwidth, but Timmies and Starbucks can do it with impunity?
opportunity cost....they see sales by teksavvy as sales they could have had....but occasional restaurant surfers? meh, not as likely-yet. and its a form of advertising/test driving.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1694 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
Either way, a lot of the older locations have not been retrofitted with electrical outlets.. Either a smart move from timmies to encourage more traffic and force people to leave after their batteries die.
Apr 21, 2003
998 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
Syne wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 10:53 am
No, and Reselling != Free.

What's your point? Bell and Rogers get paid for their bandwidth either way. Nothing is free here.

If you pay Bell for UFC, can you invite a bunch of friends over to your mansion and make money off admission? Not legally, because any bar owner will tell you, that requires a different license and a buttload more money. It follows the same principle as free wi-fi. I didn't realize that when you purchased bandwidth from Bell and Rogers that it was yours to resell at a profit. I would think you'd have to pay a premium like other resellers.

My point is, free wi-fi seems intuitive here. To a company like Starbucks or Timmies, you're talking maybe $200 .mo for a business account and it provides such a value-add and it's such a hassle to bill for it, that it's not worth it to charge people.
I might ask what your point was, then. Teksavvy resells Rogers/Bell bandwidth. Tim Hortons provides internet access to customers at no charge. I don't see the comparison here.

Now, if you had opened with the bolded statement, then it would've made more sense. I'm not sure exactly how bars get a license for UFC/other PPV's, but I'm told its through the roof, so not a direct comparison, but still the TV/Internet providers get

Thing is, Bell/Rogers pay per usage to a certain degree. Tim Hortons pays Bell/Rogers for X amount of bandwidth per month. If they go over that, the more users use Tim Hortons' free wi-fi, the more Tim Hortons pays Rogers/Bell. Whereas, in the PPV sense, if you were doing it illegally you pay your $50 (or however much it is), and there's no way to track how many screens there are playing that, or how many eyes on are said screens.

I still don't think there's a direct comparison in either case.
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bembol wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 8:23 am
I don't get the point of Wi-Fi on-the-go or why people sit in a crowded & noisy just to get free Wi-Fi.

Majority have Smart Phones and/or Data.
That is true but many don't have 6GB of data. The ones who can't afford data plans probably have 500MB to 1GB of data. Plus if you bring your tablet or laptop with you on your commute, tethering from your phone eats up battery as it is. So this is another alternate way.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jul 18, 2009
950 posts
121 upvotes
Markham
bembol wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 8:23 am
I don't get the point of Wi-Fi on-the-go or why people sit in a crowded & noisy just to get free Wi-Fi.

Majority have Smart Phones and/or Data.
while majority of the kids don't and don't want to go home

maybe their house doesn't have A/C and they want to avoid going home cause of the heat :D
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2642 posts
60 upvotes
East York
A lot of people just like to be out and about - instead of grabbing a coffee and leaving - they can grab a seat and go on their laptop and do homework/real work related to their job, and or just surf the net etc - A big laptop screen doesn't compare to a cell phone...

A lot of people don't mind the noise either - it doesn't distract them, and instead of being cooped up in their home office or bedroom they now do that out of the house - they don't have to rush home.....
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
ever1221 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 8:15 am
starbucks attracts mac lovers...timies will attract PC lovers
Timmies will attract BB lovers
Gives another meaning to "Roll up the RIM to WIN!"
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
78 upvotes
sylpherware wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 3:24 pm
Timmies will attract BB lovers
Gives another meaning to "Roll up the RIM to WIN!"
Except, unlike RIM, Timmies will probably still be in business in 2 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 3:31 pm
except, unlike rim, timmies will probably still be in business in 2 years.
ba-da-bum ching!
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Apr 23, 2012
242 posts
11 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Drew87 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 1:10 pm
A lot of people just like to be out and about - instead of grabbing a coffee and leaving - they can grab a seat and go on their laptop and do homework/real work related to their job, and or just surf the net etc - A big laptop screen doesn't compare to a cell phone...

A lot of people don't mind the noise either - it doesn't distract them, and instead of being cooped up in their home office or bedroom they now do that out of the house - they don't have to rush home.....
I find being anywhere other than my house helps me to actually do work. When I have to write a big essay, I take my laptop somewhere in public... it gives me the feeling that people will judge me if I'm not doing work (even though I know they won't care either way, but it's good motivation). There is a 24 hour Timmies near my house so if I'm up late, it's a good spot to go to get work done, especially with free wifi.

I can see it being a problem as well though because so many people hang out in Timmies for far too long as it is and are usually very crowded.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1012 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
They should have a time limit on it. After a certain amount of time it stops working.

It would be nice though if all Tim Horton's had somewhere to plug in your device.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17203 posts
1480 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Starbucks, Mac Donalds and now Tims. Just have to wait for the malls to offer it and telcos will have to make data plans more affordable.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
52 upvotes
cardle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 4:16 pm
They should have a time limit on it. After a certain amount of time it stops working.

It would be nice though if all Tim Horton's had somewhere to plug in your device.
Actually, over the long weekend I found out that it's a 20 minutes limit with slower speed - UNLESS you sign up an account with TH, to receive newsletters and emails from them. You can then use this same account to log into any TH Wifi spot all over North America for an unlimited amount of time. Your speed is also faster.

This was at a Timmies in Barrie on the way to cottage country.
× < >