Off Topic Archive

Locked: Tim Hortons RUTRTW - Major Prizes and Size of Cup?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2011 2:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
85 upvotes
I've only ever won more with XLs than any other size. Only coffees though. The one donut I won was from a L if I remember
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2285 posts
64 upvotes
The rules and regs used to breakdown winning cup sizes. Not this year... IIRC, it was large that had most prizes.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15036 posts
2109 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
biee wrote: I win with more mediums than I with a large.

win the small prizes :cheesygri
Nov 20, 2010
72 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
BlackJays wrote: Tea wins more than coffee, proven this among my friends.

and why no roll up rim for iced caps?!!? that is biggest ripoff going on their...

they use the same cups for coffee & tea.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4300 posts
85 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm 6/14 and always got medium expect once.. i got a large but it was still a winner. All English Toffee drink though :razz:
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11636 posts
2148 upvotes
express.items wrote: The rules and regs used to breakdown winning cup sizes. Not this year... IIRC, it was large that had most prizes.

Last year's contest rules don't show breakdown the winning cup sizes... neither does 2009 rules... are you sure you aren't just making this up.

Unfortunately, so many people buy a handful of coffees and instantly assume that it's a large enough sample size to make a statistically significant point of view. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6808 posts
568 upvotes
I'm like 5/70 on XLs. lol
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3362 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
0/14 on XL
1/2 on L
May 27, 2007
15700 posts
3158 upvotes
Toronto
im like 1/20 now on m/l... my only win (free coffee) came from a medium cup.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1111 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
i know that at least one of the trucks last year was won on a large
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19098 posts
1575 upvotes
TH does not care who wins the prizes. TH cares that the prizes are as evenly distributed around the country as possible to maximize their marketing effort. They would have nothing to gain from putting more prizes on large than medium and then not disclosing it, since it will not entice anyone to change any habits. If there was some kind of marketing somewhere that said more prizes were on large cups, then I would believe you, but I have never seen any.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10323 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
Whoever thinks L and XL size coffee/tea/whatever wins more is a FOOL!

I used to work at a Tim Hortons probably 7 or 8 years ago, someone won a bbq and another person won the camping set. Couldn't tell you what size but its all random. Personally, I have NEVER WON anything on roll up the rim so I don't bother anymore.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2732 posts
513 upvotes
I used to work there as well and can confirm that bigger sizes don't increase your chances of winning. It's all random.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2497 posts
91 upvotes
Yep. I can also confirm it's random. Though there is logic behind the idea that if you choose a larger size which most people do not buy normally, the odds of you getting a winning cup is higher. Say for example, you had 20 customers come in and say the odds are true 1:6. 9 buy medium, 5 buy large and 5 buy XL, if you bought a L or XL, you potentially have a shot at winning.

Though this logic is flawed that we open sleeves up quite frequently, there is no way to tell if the odds start from the top, bottom or continue from the previous sleeve of cups. We also throw sleeves into shelves so when it gets busy, we can grab them quicker so that also messes up any potential figuring out of the order of the cups.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5978 posts
147 upvotes
some guy on a car forum claimed he won the matrix...

dunno if it's bs though
images are not permitted in sigs