Shopping Discussion

Tim Horton's Steeped Tea - Removed from Menu??

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2008 9:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12557 posts
638 upvotes
peroxide8888 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2008 1:19 am
Don't all teas have to be steeped - regardless of where you buy it? I've never understood how TH tea being "steeped" is a selling point in any way, shape or form.
its pre-steeped for your pleasure...
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Sep 17, 2005
204 posts
3 upvotes
I love the steeped tea...One of the staff at our local Tims told my DH that the tea clogs their machine so they are working on coming out on a different way to make it.
Use your head for something other than just parting your hair!!!! ;)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
49 upvotes
peroxide8888 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2008 1:19 am
Don't all teas have to be steeped - regardless of where you buy it? I've never understood how TH tea being "steeped" is a selling point in any way, shape or form.
Actually you can buy instant tea- you just mix the dehydrated crystals in hot or cold water.

I actually have instant herbal tea here- from Celestial Seasonings, but it is a US only product. Called Zingers to Go- you put it in your water bottle to have instant natural iced tea.

But you can get regular instant tea at the grocery here, same as instant coffee.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1871 posts
316 upvotes
Burlington
Over the course of the week-end I was at 5 Tims (Man am I that addicted to Tims...Theatre one, close to house, 2 different ones Sunday and my usual work one this morning). No Steeped tea from Friday evening on. Although I got it Friday afternoon.

Was told this morning there are quality control issues and that it was recalled and that they may have some by Wednesday. But it may be as long as 2 week.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18632 posts
2033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Instagator wrote:
Apr 26th, 2008 10:48 pm
LOL

So my friends and I were on a mission tonight.
5 Different locations (all within <2KM) and bonus of laughing at peeps that are waiting for the bus.

2 Said - Out Of stock
1 Said - Machine broken (revisited after we found the truth)
2 Said - Pulled of menu ... err.. not in stock.

Here's the scoop.

We pulled up to one and he said pull up to the counter - We talked to him. Apparently the Steeped Tea has been recalled ALL across Canada due to improper mixture. Apparently the steeped bag herbs or whatever you call them were inproperly mixed which made it taste like ass (like when you leave a bag in for too long) - Every single timmies are being very tight lipped about it - Everybody is using the excuse not in stock - ********. Soooo that's the scoop... I asked if there's anything wrong with it that could pose a health issue - He didn't respond. lol

In any case. We revisisted the timmies that said their machine was broken - I told her we know the truth - She's like ... Oh rly? ... So i told her about the recall - Mixture etc - she's like.. So now you now. What else can I get for you.

So the story sounds legit.

I could see this. About 3 weeks(maybe longer) ago my girlfriend started getting tea triple/triple with milk instead of double/double with milk. She thought it was her but perhaps it was just the steeped tea issue.
Sep 28, 2007
14 posts
Toronto
I tried two Tims in the past few days. My regular spot just said they were out and would be for a little while.
The one I hit this morning had a sign on their machine that actually referenced a recall. When I asked the staff said something about something wrong in the mixture, something something safety hazard to the employees, "it's not a food safety issue though".. I didn't catch all she said 'cause I was still half asleep (i actually drove through the drive thru just before this... drove through, didn't order anything).

sounds like their PR needs some work on this.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
3121 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
I was walking to work this morning and was super surprised the tim's line was only 5 people deep! So I lined up and ready to order a XL Steeped Tea as a treat since I hate lining up.

then I get there and the CSR said that there's a recall on the tea and that it's NA for the next 2 weeks. No additional info but that's concerning to say the least when the TEA gets recalled....
Apr 27, 2008
2 posts
Calgary
Just got off the phone with Sonya in the customer relations dept at Tim's HQ. According to her, they have run out of inventory but should have the tea back on the shelves by Friday. What a crock! All the Tim's across the country run out at the same time? She guarantees that there is no health issues involved. Time will tell, I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1369 posts
12 upvotes
Got this from another site.

"The deal with the steeped tea is that the grind wasn't right, not sure if he said it was too fine or not, but apparently, all across Canada there were grinds getting past the filter and into the pots of tea. He got word on Friday night to pull it from the shelves until they get a new shipment. The estimate was 2 weeks. So there was nothing wrong with the tea, it was just clogging up all the machines and letting grounds come through the filters. "
Go Polska!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2051 posts
345 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/361205

LOL.....I find it funny that they call this 'BREAKING NEWS' quick someone call Wolf Blitzer at CNN.

TheSpec.com - BreakingNews - Tea time at Tim's cancelled (until new shipment arrives)

If you are a Tim Hortons steeped tea fan , you haven
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7347 posts
816 upvotes
GTA
Out of curiosity, I sent an email to Tim Horton's asking about the recall and if it was a safety issue. This is the response I got:

"I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us at our Head
Office. At Tim Hortons we strive to offer all of our customers friendly
and efficient customer service, high quality products in a clean and
pleasant atmosphere.

We are sorry to inform you that our warehouse is temporarily out of stock
for steeped tea and it will be returning to shelves as soon as possible.
Steeped Tea has not been discontinued. Our Steeped Tea is safe to consume
and will remain to be, once it is back on the shelves.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

It is by listening and reacting to our valued customers feedback that we
have been able to achieve and maintain success to date.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future."
Apr 27, 2008
2 posts
Calgary
I was completely bowled over this morning when I walked into my local Tim's in Calgary and out of habit said "a large steeped tea with two milk." As I was about to retract the order, remembering that this tea had been pulled from the shelves, lo and behold, as if by magic, a large steeped tea with two milk suddenly appeared in front of me. Tasted awesome too, now maybe I can get back on track and get some work done.