• Feb 25th, 2019 4:41 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23974 posts
9513 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:27 am
I certainly don't expect gourmet food at Tim's, MCD, BK, Wendy or Starbuck.
I'm not expecting gourmet food, but I'm still judging based on the category of restaurant.
Everyone thinks that McDumps has awful quality food, but they're one of the few that actually tends to limit their ingredients to a degree.
As an example, the only thing that has phosphates at McDonalds is their chicken strips. The rest of their chicken doesn't.
Tim's does.

It's not totally fair to compare a restaurant with cooking facilities and one that doesn't though.
McDonalds is food first, bakery 2nd. Tim's is bakery first and food 2nd. Not that you'd know it with the amount of hilarious food they're trying to cram into everyone's face.
You think the food is bad at Tim's, go to Starbucks where they serve 3rd party ready made frozen sandwiches.

I don't understand Starbucks to begin with.
They actually have no cooking facilities. Tim's is only limited.
Who in their right mind eats anything from Starbucks?
I'll give them their coffee (which I think tastes burnt, but that's subjective) but their food?
It's damn near worse than Tim's....
I do agree they were better when baked on the premises but as they got busier and busier it became impossible to keep up as baking fresh takes much longer leaving empty displays for over an hour during the day and entire shifts overnight pissing of customers (as per Ron Joyce's book). It was the franchisees who pushed for a solution.
I've never read the book, but the biggest complaint I heard was from the franchisees and cost.
The par baked crap was significantly more expensive than baking in house.
Which confuses the hell out of me since mass factory production should be cheaper than on premise baking.
As for empty shelves, that I can't comment on.
The market share losses mostly comes from MCD giving coffee away or giving it at $1.00 and some bad publicity last year and has stopped as of last quarter.
I mean... they had to get their foot in the door.
But if you have a quality product that's still reasonably priced, you shouldn't be losing market share hand over fist.

Besides... the prevailing rumor is that McDonalds bought Tim's old coffee supplier.
Tim's decided to cheap out and use something substandard. McDonalds saw the opportunity and bought them.
I don't know if it's actually true, but it would explain a lot.
In any event, here is your chance to tell them exactly what you think of their food and drinks and what they should do about it by taking the survey. If you don't like the food or drink just pass your receipt with confirmation code to someone in line so they can take advantage of it.
Not saying that an unrestricted survey would work but having a gated by purchase survey doesn't help anyone that doesn't actually patronize Tim's.
If I could have the donuts of 20 years ago, I'd totally go back. It's hard finding a good donut.
But I can't tell them that without having to buy their rings of disappointment today.
Even wasting what? $0.20? on a Timbit isn't worth it.

So the net result is basically everyone patting each other on the back instead of gathering useful feedback.
Nov 18, 2012
810 posts
372 upvotes
Longueuil
icekaibe wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 12:50 pm
BuT tHeY’rE aMeRiCaN!!!1!!
Yeah, americans don't have the canadian gene of "Im so cool, im overpaying!! look how much i paid for this!! im better than you i paid more! but im in huge debt.. YOLO"

I buy whats cheapest and best, dont give a shit where its from. If my fellow canadian wants to scam me with higher prices for shit, im not falling for it. That's why im spending 2x less than most people with 2 kids and yet live 2x better than them.
Dec 1, 2007
68 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
It would be nice if the cashiers gave out receipts!!!!
Oct 17, 2009
760 posts
1356 upvotes
icekaibe wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 12:56 pm
Really your problem here is with fast food chains in general. All of this describes Wendy’s/McDonald’s/Burger King yet it’s only trendy at the moment to crap on Tim’s, then drive down to Costco and Walmart and all these other American owned establishments.
I don't really have a problem with American fast food chains, I have a problem with someone claiming that Tim's is Canadian -- when it just isn't. Tim's isn't Canadian by any other metric beyond it being here.

I mean, if you really want to have fast food where the profits stand in Canada, you have your options (Second Cup, A&W, Whitespot, and others) but not everyone cares about the effect their dollar has on our country when they buy their morning coffee.
It would be nice if people stopped fuelling the mystique of Tim Hortons being a part of our heritage though. Tim Horton's was once a true Canadian institution, back when they cared about their food and employees. Now, it's just comparative trash.
I think anyone would be hard pressed to name one thing at Tim Horton's that is BETTER than what it was a decade ago. I miss old Tim Horton's damn it. We had a good thing going, but as always, boardrooms destroyed it.

And no, not everyone shops at Walmart and Costco. It's pretty easy to shop at Canadian owned grocery stores.
Oct 17, 2009
760 posts
1356 upvotes
hug0ko wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:03 pm
Just so you know, if you do a survey for Burger King, they will give you a Whopper for free

Yeah, that's just not true. You have to buy a pop and fries; which on their own cost as much as a combo MINUS a dollar. You save more by using their app any day of the week. Why lie?
Dec 18, 2018
9 posts
u know what i love tim hortons everyone is talking really bad about tim hortons but i actually love tim hortons it is pretty much the only coffee i drink unless i am downtown kitchener i drink willams but i drink tim Hortons coffee every day and i will support tim hortons with my life so ppl need to really back off with talking shit about them
rainingdiscountedfire wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 2:11 am
i hate piling on, since you got schooled on the ownership
but....

to state that tim's serves 70-80% of the coffee in canada is just ridiculous

as of 2017 they were in fourth place overall (and my guess would be they have fallen even further)

you don't have to be a coffee connoisseur either to realize it is bad coffee, simply order it black and try and drink it
why do you think double-double is the default for a small coffee, is it because you need a sweet-sweet cream-cream to mask the actual coffee flavor?

their brand reputation dropped form 4th to 50th
this one has them at 67th

link
Dec 18, 2018
9 posts
and now u have to go out of ur way just to get to a burger king as of now there isnt any around in kitchener since they took it out of fairview mall where is there one at all in this city if u take a bus u have to go all the way to cambridge that is bulshit. That is why i love a&w and kfc and swiss chalet and wendys. So ya i think i made my point loud in clear anyone who has an objection or opinion pls tell me cus if u don't ppl back off tim hortons and screw burger king cuz there aint no more burger kings in kitchener waterloo area unless u go to cambridge
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
1962 posts
450 upvotes
Whitehorse
PatrickB012050 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:04 pm
A local tim employee was telling me about a lady who come at least 5 time a day, and each time, she buy one single timbit. Like why not buy 6 in the morning if you're going to go back 5 times xD
Obviously she needed 5 receipts.
Mar 25, 2015
284 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
JasmineH82838 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:48 am
i will support tim hortons with my life so ppl need to really back off with talking sh-t about them
sounds perfectly rational

mediocre coffee and inferior food over death

face it, they have implemented a business model that mr. horton would find abhorrent

they are in a race to the bottom with themselves,
everyone else has improved their coffee-game
with that people would probably be a little more forgiving with their horrible food, without it they are at 67th place in brand reputation
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1802 posts
294 upvotes
Hamilton
Wow.
Tim hortons and bk have the same parent company.
So yeah, screw Burger King.
Wait now, maybe tim hortons are going to sell whoppers next. Then there will be bk, in the monopolized coffee regime.
Hehehe

JasmineH82838 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:53 am
and now u have to go out of ur way just to get to a burger king as of now there isnt any around in kitchener since they took it out of fairview mall where is there one at all in this city if u take a bus u have to go all the way to cambridge that is bulshit. That is why i love a&w and kfc and swiss chalet and wendys. So ya i think i made my point loud in clear anyone who has an objection or opinion pls tell me cus if u don't ppl back off tim hortons and screw burger king cuz there aint no more burger kings in kitchener waterloo area unless u go to cambridge
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9633 posts
2280 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 2:00 pm

I don't understand Starbucks to begin with.
They actually have no cooking facilities. Tim's is only limited.
Who in their right mind eats anything from Starbucks?
I'll give them their coffee (which I think tastes burnt, but that's subjective) but their food?
It's damn near worse than Tim's....
I had a smoked bacon cheese egg on some sort of flakey bun from starbucks last week, it was really good, cost over 5$ which was nuts, but they cooked (heated) it in a oven, it was nice and hot all over. I would buy It again, but only if I had a gift card as its too expensive.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9633 posts
2280 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 3:59 am
There is a lot to unpack here. 1) You benefit from spending money at local coffee shops because that profit is spent locally. I.e. The coffee shops owner spends the profits in your town/your city/your country. You don't gain any secondary benefits when your money is sent to Brazil, and some Tim Horton's executive buys his ninth mega-boat. You benefit when their income tax is collected by Canada, because it goes towards our social service. 2) Your coffee, and muffin are most likely going to be made by REAL independents, and not simply flour and corn syrup. Local producers usually create real food, and not factory-driven, shelf-stable muffin mix. You quite literally get what you pay for. 3) Tim Horton's charity is a tax write-off, period, Corporations do not care about us, and will do nothing more than what is absolutely necessary to make their shareholders the most money. That's how life works. If you think that TH has an altruistic bone in their corporate body, boy do you have a real wake up call coming your way. 4) Tim Horton's is in no way doing Canada any favours. They pay their employees so little that they qualify for social services (which we all pay for) while the lions share of the profits go to the shareholders who are mainly foreign owned. Your idea that TH is Canadian, is bankrupt, and you know it. Spend your money at a locally owned coffee shop, and we will all be better off. Or make your own coffee, ya lazy weirdo :D
I don't agree, most tims owners are local people, sure they pay franchise fees, but the owners are local, they employ a mix of local and foreign workers, they offer benefits, they are a huge supporter of sick kids hospitals and local soccer. as for local shops, I have seen some reselling Costco muffuns, they buy them for 24 pack for 12 bucks or whatever it costs, and sell them for 2 bucks each.
Oct 17, 2009
760 posts
1356 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 6:44 pm
I don't agree, most tims owners are local people, sure they pay franchise fees, but the owners are local, they employ a mix of local and foreign workers, they offer benefits, they are a huge supporter of sick kids hospitals and local soccer. as for local shops, I have seen some reselling Costco muffuns, they buy them for 24 pack for 12 bucks or whatever it costs, and sell them for 2 bucks each.
I can see where your perception of Tim Horton's might be clouded by the decades of propaganda flung at you. I would implore you to look beyond it.
1) Most Timmies locations are owned locally. Yes, and they pay 50k to Brazil for the privilege. Those owners must also be worth at least 500k, with 100k in the bank (so really, only the richest among us can open a Tim Hortons.) Let's not pretend like those rich people already need our money over a truly independent, local shop owner. The franchisee also pays a ludicrous amount of their profits to Brazil, so it's more like indentured servitude than anything.
And if one of those franchisees raise a fuss about TH acting in bad faith, they get their ENTIRE BUSINESS ripped from them. It's been happening more and more. He's a fun example.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4426141/tim- ... a-seizure/
In fact, the situation between the franchise owners and their parent company is SO dire, they are being denied franchise renewal rights. Imagine that. Imagine building up a TH location for 20 years, then having TH deny you the next 20 years because you raised a stink at a board meeting, or questioned them on employee policy. We should all be outraged that this happens, but people tend not to read actual news.

2) Timmies pay is so brutal, many of their own employees qualify for social assistance (like Walmart, McDonalds, and many others) They are in no way providing pay that allows people to survive in our country, and the rest of us pay for that via our taxes.

3) They are a huge supporter of tax breaks. Every corporation takes in customer money and gives it towards charities, but keeps the massive tax break they recieve for it, for themselves. Think of it like this; they take in a million in donations from customers, but then get to claim that amount against their taxes. In essence, it's not charity, they actively profited from YOUR generosity. Pretty much every national grocery store has caught on to this, and now beg for your money at every checkout. Why? Because they get to keep a portion in tax breaks. Make your own donation, keep your own tax break; and tell TH and Walmart to actually donate from their profits.
Corporate "charity" isn't charity. Your charity, is charity. Corporate "charity" is one part Public Relations, and two parts Tax Breaks.

4) Your Costco muffin story is . . . well . . . I don't know. Maybe you have shitty independents in your area. I doubt it though, you probably saw that once then kept it in your back pocket as a reason not to care about local business. What Tim Horton's does with it's par-baking is exactly the same as the Costco muffin strategy; so I don't really get why you would be angry about it.

At the end of the day, keep enjoying TH if you do. Just try to look at their business in a broader sense beyond your morning coffee. As a corporation, they drain profits from our country, abuse their employees, and take your donation money to profit a boardroom in Brazil. It's the least Canadian brand I can think of at this point. At least other corporations don't pretend to be Canadian, and assume our identity, while being COMPLETELY anti-Canada.
Last edited by MikoWilson on Feb 17th, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1802 posts
294 upvotes
Hamilton
^^^^^^
You broke it down, quite nice.
How about the timmy camps...
Hehehe
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Oct 17, 2009
760 posts
1356 upvotes
LOL, those PR events where customer money is used to allow kids to go to Camp, while Tim Horton's pretends like they paid for it all? All the while, getting a massive tax break from the entire enterprise?
I mean, it's super smart. That last lady (and many others) actually thinks that Tim Horton's actually cares about kids. People are so easily manipulated.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)