• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 4:41 pm
Tags:
Oct 17, 2009
546 posts
792 upvotes
JasmineH82838 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:53 am
and now u have to go out of ur way just to get to a burger king as of now there isnt any around in kitchener since they took it out of fairview mall where is there one at all in this city if u take a bus u have to go all the way to cambridge that is bulshit. That is why i love a&w and kfc and swiss chalet and wendys. So ya i think i made my point loud in clear anyone who has an objection or opinion pls tell me cus if u don't ppl back off tim hortons and screw burger king cuz there aint no more burger kings in kitchener waterloo area unless u go to cambridge
Are you typing through a voice-to-text application? That's the only way your post is excusable, lol.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4960 posts
4142 upvotes
Montreal
MikoWilson wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 8:07 pm
I can see where your perception of Tim Horton's might be clouded by the decades of propaganda flung at you. I would implore you to look beyond it.
1) Most Timmies locations are owned locally. Yes, and they pay 50k to Brazil for the privilege. Those owners must also be worth at least 500k, with 100k in the bank (so really, only the richest among us can open a Tim Hortons.) Let's not pretend like those rich people already need our money over a truly independent, local shop owner. The franchisee also pays a ludicrous amount of their profits to Brazil, so it's more like indentured servitude than anything.
And if one of those franchisees raise a fuss about TH acting in bad faith, they get their ENTIRE BUSINESS ripped from them. It's been happening more and more. He's a fun example.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4426141/tim- ... a-seizure/
In fact, the situation between the franchise owners and their parent company is SO dire, they are being denied franchise renewal rights. Imagine that. Imagine building up a TH location for 20 years, then having TH deny you the next 20 years because you raised a stink at a board meeting, or questioned them on employee policy. We should all be outraged that this happens, but people tend not to read actual news.

2) Timmies pay is so brutal, many of their own employees qualify for social assistance (like Walmart, McDonalds, and many others) They are in no way providing pay that allows people to survive in our country, and the rest of us pay for that via our taxes.

3) They are a huge supporter of tax breaks. Every corporation takes in customer money and gives it towards charities, but keeps the massive tax break they recieve for it, for themselves. Think of it like this; they take in a million in donations from customers, but then get to claim that amount against their taxes. In essence, it's not charity, they actively profited from YOUR generosity. Pretty much every national grocery store has caught on to this, and now beg for your money at every checkout. Why? Because they get to keep a portion in tax breaks. Make your own donation, keep your own tax break; and tell TH and Walmart to actually donate from their profits.
Corporate "charity" isn't charity. Your charity, is charity. Corporate "charity" is one part Public Relations, and two parts Tax Breaks.

4) Your Costco muffin story is . . . well . . . I don't know. Maybe you have shitty independents in your area. I doubt it though, you probably saw that once then kept it in your back pocket as a reason not to care about local business. What Tim Horton's does with it's par-baking is exactly the same as the Costco muffin strategy; so I don't really get why you would be angry about it.

At the end of the day, keep enjoying TH if you do. Just try to look at their business in a broader sense beyond your morning coffee. As a corporation, they drain profits from our country, abuse their employees, and take your donation money to profit a boardroom in Brazil. It's the least Canadian brand I can think of at this point. At least other corporations don't pretend to be Canadian, and assume our identity, while being COMPLETELY anti-Canada.
Your post is a complete and utter load of bullcrap.

1) Most of the franchises are decades old and were purchased with way way less money than the current franchise fee. Furthermore a level of sales and profits are guaranteed by the company. And yes you will lose your franchise renewal if you publicly criticize or defame the company in the public domain. This is written in plain English in the sales agreement every franchisee signs with their lawyers. The same would happen at MCD or any other franchise. The fact you actually think a bunch of angry franchisees banding together to take down head office in the mainstream public media would not be punised is laughable. :D No owner is allowed to defame their respective company and expect no consequences from head office.

2) This is also a bunch of rubbish. It is just another minimum wage job, what makes you even think for a moment that your local independent somehow pays his workers more to serve coffee and put a muffin in a paper bag? My nephew worked for an independent hardware store for 2 years, made 50 cents above minimum wage, never saw a raise until he quit to work at Home Depot for $2/hr more on the spot. Salaries are not set at head office. Franchisees are responsible for amount of staff and amount they want to pay staff. Reminder..the franchisee IS an independent. Salary for low barrier to entry position is a complicated issue. This is something for provincial and federal govts to handle not Tim's, MCD, Starbucks or WalMart.

3) Of course they're going to get a tax break. They donate 10's of millions. they don't have to give anything to charity. Frankly, I can't even believe you try and spin this into a negative? Wow.

4) You think very highly of independents. I've tasted stuff from independents that charge 300% more than Tim's and tastes no better than Duncan Hines, regardless of where the ingredients were sourced or if they were blessed and certified by some local hippie Zenmaster. I've also seen those easily identifiable Costco muffins and cookies at independents and small cafes. Tim's par-baking has been going on since the late 90's nobody noticed or even reported on it except the past few years after it was written in a book. Then social media did it' s thing and outrage ensued over a decade later lol. Could it be that the taste difference is so subtle that no one or very few, noticed? Most still have no idea stuff is baked off site. Tim's was also American owned in the 90's until mid 2000's, actually 100% American owned. They also owned a lot of corporate stores too. Yet that was ok, no one noticed or cared about that. Today 99% are independently owned but we should be outraged because a few foreign shareholders own 50% and should not shop anywhere that isn't 100% Canadian owned. Sure thing chief, I hear you. On the bright side I'm still a BlackBerry user and supporter...oh wait, the CEO is a foreigner! :facepalm:
Dec 1, 2018
131 posts
151 upvotes
Thanks will try and get some before I start the night shift :D
Oct 17, 2009
546 posts
792 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:40 pm
Your post is a complete and utter load of bullcrap.

1) Most of the franchises are decades old and were purchased with way way less money than the current franchise fee. Furthermore a level of sales and profits are guaranteed by the company. And yes you will lose your franchise renewal if you publicly criticize or defame the company in the public domain. This is written in plain English in the sales agreement every franchisee signs with their lawyers. The same would happen at MCD or any other franchise. The fact you actually think a bunch of angry franchisees banding together to take down head office in the mainstream public media would not be punised is laughable. :D No owner is allowed to defame their respective company and expect no consequences from head office.

2) This is also a bunch of rubbish. It is just another minimum wage job, what makes you even think for a moment that your local independent somehow pays his workers more to serve coffee and put a muffin in a paper bag? My nephew worked for an independent hardware store for 2 years, made 50 cents above minimum wage, never saw a raise until he quit to work at Home Depot for $2/hr more on the spot. Salaries are not set at head office. Franchisees are responsible for amount of staff and amount they want to pay staff. Reminder..the franchisee IS an independent. Salary for low barrier to entry position is a complicated issue. This is something for provincial and federal govts to handle not Tim's, MCD, Starbucks or WalMart.

3) Of course they're going to get a tax break. They donate 10's of millions. they don't have to give anything to charity. Frankly, I can't even believe you try and spin this into a negative? Wow.

4) You think very highly of independents. I've tasted stuff from independents that charge 300% more than Tim's and tastes no better than Duncan Hines, regardless of where the ingredients were sourced or if they were blessed and certified by some local hippie Zenmaster. I've also seen those easily identifiable Costco muffins and cookies at independents and small cafes. Tim's par-baking has been going on since the late 90's nobody noticed or even reported on it except the past few years after it was written in a book. Then social media did it' s thing and outrage ensued over a decade later lol. Could it be that the taste difference is so subtle that no one or very few, noticed? Most still have no idea stuff is baked off site. Tim's was also American owned in the 90's until mid 2000's, actually 100% American owned. They also owned a lot of corporate stores too. Yet that was ok, no one noticed or cared about that. Today 99% are independently owned but we should be outraged because a few foreign shareholders own 50% and should not shop anywhere that isn't 100% Canadian owned. Sure thing chief, I hear you. On the bright side I'm still a BlackBerry user and supporter...oh wait, the CEO is a foreigner! :facepalm:
I don't think for a second that you actually believe any of what you just posted, but I'll give it one more shot.

1) You should look into the franchisee issue a bit more. There has been a long standing strife between Tim Horton's boardroom in Brazil, and the boots on the ground owners in Canada. They (the Canadians) have been fighting to roll back many of the strategic decisions that has morphed TH into the pile of crap it is today. Momentum has kept TH up front, but I imagine the next generation who don't remember what TH used to be will finally bring it crumbling down. I feel sorry for those owners who will not have their franchise contracts renewed simply for standing up for the brand they used to know. You can side with the boardroom. You seem to pray at the alter of multinational business, and I don't think I have the ability to change that.

2) I'm not singling out TH as an EGREGIOUS player in this sense, and I never did. Yeah, I'd agree that all of those businesses are parasitic. I'm simply refuting the previous claim that they are a "great" employer who hand out generous "benefits"
They don't. Even Starbucks allows their employees to keep their tips, and has a pretty generous bursary program. Ignoring the fact that TH punished their Ontario employees simply for obtaining a higher minimum wage, I think they are not uniquely bad; which is a sad statement.

3) THEY didn't donate 10 million dollars, WE donated 10 million dollars, they are the ones to claim it on their corporate taxes though. Again, you want to idolize these people for manipulating the public and paying less in taxed than they should. You do you.

4) If you can't find coffee better than Timmy Hoes for a marginal increase (which you probably reap back by keeping the profits in Canada) then I feel badly for ya. I imagine if you simply explored outside of your comfort zone for a few days you could find one, filled with employees that have a real lustre for their craft. I'm with ya here though; I'm not really a coffee snob and think that TH coffee is perfectly fine. It's the situational corruption that sours the taste for me. It's hearing about employees being horrifically punished for their rates going up. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... -hike.html It's their consistenly horrific Glassdoor feedback, which really, is the only available source of what it feels like to be employed there. https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Employ ... 124936.htm But most of all, it's all the small moments I see of (usually) older people busting their ass, day after day, knowing that their tips are being stolen.
And frankly, the idea that you think people crap on their doughnuts "cause of social media" is rubbish. Their doughnuts are simply reheated trash, and we've all noticed the decline for decades. I'll never forget how lumpy and weird their apple fritters used to be, and how friggen gigantic their bagels were before they shifted over to the pre-produced trash. If people had a widely available alternative, I shudder to think how quickly TH doughnuts would be flushed down the proverbial toilet.

Like I said before. Enjoy Tim Horton's if you can. If you can manage to overlook all of that garbage, and still drink that cup o' java; more power to ya. Just don't call other's out for thinking about their fellow Canadians, and choosing to spend their dollar at local coffee shops that try to do better.
Last edited by MikoWilson on Feb 19th, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 12, 2012
726 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
$1 for 10 timbits should be the original price
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6576 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 6:39 pm
I had a smoked bacon cheese egg on some sort of flakey bun from starbucks last week, it was really good, cost over 5$ which was nuts, but they cooked (heated) it in a oven, it was nice and hot all over. I would buy It again, but only if I had a gift card as its too expensive.
I don't count that as cooking facilities because those speed ovens are a combo of basically every form of heating possible.
They heat quick but are basically glorified microwaves with a broiler in it.

Plus the sandwich was probably assembled last week too.
Feb 19, 2019
1 posts
Im also having a hard time locating this survey. I come to this group to discover the way to redeem this offer?
Come on people get with it!
:(
Dec 17, 2010
57 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
DiamondD56641 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 7:24 pm
Im also having a hard time locating this survey. I come to this group to discover the way to redeem this offer?
Come on people get with it!
:(
I'm just as stuck as you are.
I asked for a receipt. I visited the TellTims.ca website. I am then asked:
"Please enter the survey code located on the bottom of your receipt."
However, there is no survey code on my receipt. February 14, 2019. I am disappointed.
Feb 4, 2019
53 posts
263 upvotes
I wanted to thank the OP, but was unable to do so. I wonder why?

I would never have known about this promo if it wasn't for RFD and this OP.

Anyway, based on this posting, I found a Tim Horton's receipt and went to a store.

On the TV monitor, one of the messages advertised this promo.

So I asked to speak with the store manager and asked why there was no survey code on the receipt.

She said that a special SEPARATE receipt prints with the survey code for roughly 1 in 3 customers.

She also said that this promo is not temporary, but ongoing.

The survey's appearance and questions are almost identical to the KFC survey.

Based on comments and postings of receipt photos by other RFD members, it appears as though this promo's implementation varies from store to store, from franchaisee to franchaisee, and from province to province.

*** I am new to RFD ***
Oct 29, 2008
466 posts
175 upvotes
L4J
DealCube wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 5:27 pm
I'm just as stuck as you are.
I asked for a receipt. I visited the TellTims.ca website. I am then asked:
"Please enter the survey code located on the bottom of your receipt."
However, there is no survey code on my receipt. February 14, 2019. I am disappointed.
It doesn't come with receipt. It's a small, additional peace of paper.
May 10, 2008
133 posts
99 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The Oakridge location gave my mom a duplicate receipt with no code for her purchase. I feel ripped off. :(
Feb 4, 2019
53 posts
263 upvotes
I am a solutions-focused consumer who is new to RFD.

If you want 10 Timbits for $1, go to any location and ask to speak with the supervisor on duty. Try going in the middle of the afternoon when it is not busy.

Identify yourself as a regular customer from a large company -- Hi! I'm John/Jane from Royal Bank.

Ask NICELY if you can have a survey invite so you can give the store some great feedback and subsequently participate in the $1 Timbits deal..

I am sure they have at least a few of these lying around or in the nearby garbage behind the counter.

By asking nicely, identifying yourself as a regular customer from a large organization, and offering to give great feedback to overworked, underpaid employees works wonders!

And when you give feedback, the store gets it immediately. So if you go again, you can ask if they got your feedback comment -- I got great service from PATRICIA! I am sure the next time you ask, they will give a handful.

With the 50 cents hot beverage refill at 7-11 (by bringing your own travel mug) and 10 timbits for $1 (honey cruller is my favourite), my coffee break costs $1.60 (taxes included).

So let's ALL try and FOCUS on the DEALS and leave aside the politics and other controversies -- buy Canadian, buy organic, buy local, buy fair-trade, buy union, support businesses that pay a living wage, etc., etc. etc.

Most people (including members of RFD) really don't have time for all this.

We're too busy clearing out shelves of items when the points earned on the purchase is equal to (or greater than) the amount spent! LOL
Nov 19, 2014
612 posts
476 upvotes
Medicine Hat, AB
PatrickB012050 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:04 pm
A local tim employee was telling me about a lady who come at least 5 time a day, and each time, she buy one single timbit. Like why not buy 6 in the morning if you're going to go back 5 times xD
Woah, I didn’t even know you could buy a single timbit?

Anyone up for a group buy ? ...
If we get 10 people for 13 cents each we can have a timbit!
Sep 17, 2016
215 posts
200 upvotes
KW
JasmineH82838 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 11:53 am
and now u have to go out of ur way just to get to a burger king as of now there isnt any around in kitchener since they took it out of fairview mall where is there one at all in this city if u take a bus u have to go all the way to cambridge that is bulshit. That is why i love a&w and kfc and swiss chalet and wendys. So ya i think i made my point loud in clear anyone who has an objection or opinion pls tell me cus if u don't ppl back off tim hortons and screw burger king cuz there aint no more burger kings in kitchener waterloo area unless u go to cambridge
there's one on victoria at river in kitchener and there's one at university and phillip in waterloo
Mar 8, 2007
414 posts
550 upvotes
i have had the code print off both as a separate receipt, and as part of the regular receipt.

If you aren't offered one just ask for one - since most employees don't regularly offer receipts they often have a big stream of them attached to the receipt printer.

I have asked for the receipt a number of times and have never been refused a code (ask nicely and be polite please - these guys get paid minimum wage and they don't get paid extra if you drop attitude)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

DeserayC10561