Home & Garden

Time to replace the natural gas hot water tank.....

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 10:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1900 posts
543 upvotes
Edmonton

Time to replace the natural gas hot water tank.....

It looks like our atmospheric vent natural gas hot water tank is on it's last legs... only been 25 years.
What's the best 50 gallon(ish) tank out there?
Anybody know of a deal?
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4863 posts
2691 upvotes
Are you sticking with atmospheric or converting to power vent? The GSWs at Lowe’s always go on sale. And if you are lucky (or patient) you can sometimes stack the sale price with a storewide 15% off or save the tax event. That’s what I did.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2296 posts
1158 upvotes
GTA
fdl wrote: Are you sticking with atmospheric or converting to power vent? The GSWs at Lowe’s always go on sale. And if you are lucky (or patient) you can sometimes stack the sale price with a storewide 15% off or save the tax event. That’s what I did.
+1 Went this exact route 3 years ago. Shop around for installation, Lowes wanted almost $700 to install $800 tank Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. I found local licensed guy who did it for $200. The tank works great, thermostat on lowest setting and plenty of hot water for our family.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
1900 posts
543 upvotes
Edmonton
Sticking with the atmospheric, house is 60+ years old - major pain to vent to an exterior wall.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....