Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1255 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga

Timer for Laundry Washer/Dryer

Anyone know of a timer to put on laundry machines, so that it can only run on off-peak electricity periods?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6716 posts
4914 upvotes
Oakville
Do you want to stop people from running the machines at peak times? If so, then you just need a standard outlet timer for the washer. Not sure if they have those for 240V circuits for the dryer, unless you have a 120v gas dryer.

Or do you want it to start automatically at off-peak times? If so, you'll need a fancy smart washer/dryer that can be programmed to start at certain times.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
3887 posts
1212 upvotes
Paris
My 12 year old washer has a wash delay feature for up to 12 hours. Often set it in the am for laundry to be ready when we get home. Dryer shouldnt be run when outside the home (though we do that from time to time as well, just not on a timer)

If this is for a rental and you are trying to lock the tenants from running the electric dryer during peak times, the timer will probably cost way more than any potentially savings. And you may run afoul of the Landlord Tenant ACT by restricting use and enjoyment.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8939 posts
1603 upvotes
Somewhere
+1 above.

There are washing machines with a timer function. My parent's Whirlpool Duet has it. But my Samsung doesn't. :(
:confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1255 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:42 pm
Do you want to stop people from running the machines at peak times? If so, then you just need a standard outlet timer for the washer. Not sure if they have those for 240V circuits for the dryer, unless you have a 120v gas dryer.
Yup looking for one of these. What are they called or how do they look like? I guess home depot may have something like this?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
5906 posts
3164 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:14 pm
Which one?

For 120v washer and dryer you could use this outlet timer. What do you plan on using the timer for?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.7-da ... 26881.html
Realizing, of course, that all the tenant has to do is hit the "MANU" button to override the existing programming to turn the device on...

OP, you should first check (as someone mentioned) that you're not going to get into trouble restricting services that the tenant currently has access to.

Second, investigate any device you look at to see if it has a manual override, or any sort of protection for your settings. Even with the fancy washing machine, they're likely set up so the timer is a "feature" (meaning it will turn on at a particular time if you want it to), not as a security option.

Do you have access to see when your power is being used? Are you sure it's from the clothes washer/dryer? Do you have energy efficient appliances?

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6716 posts
4914 upvotes
Oakville
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:54 pm
Realizing, of course, that all the tenant has to do is hit the "MANU" button to override the existing programming to turn the device on...

OP, you should first check (as someone mentioned) that you're not going to get into trouble restricting services that the tenant currently has access to.

Second, investigate any device you look at to see if it has a manual override, or any sort of protection for your settings. Even with the fancy washing machine, they're likely set up so the timer is a "feature" (meaning it will turn on at a particular time if you want it to), not as a security option.

Do you have access to see when your power is being used? Are you sure it's from the clothes washer/dryer? Do you have energy efficient appliances?

C
Agreed. I'm sure it's illegal to restrict services like that. Even if it isn't, who would want to live in a place where you couldn't do laundry, or cook, or whatever on your own time?

OP could put the timer in a lock box to prevent tampering, but like I said I'm sure it's illegal/immoral.

If it's just to remind family to wait until low TOU times, then I suppose it could help, and they could override it if there was something urgent.