• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 7:07 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2407 posts
1411 upvotes
Toolbelt1255 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:25 pm
That's the sole reason most MLMs are totally dependent on foreign markets for survival, because those markets have low internet literacy rates or a government controlled web. In North America, MLMs are barely scraping by, tho still profitable, corporate wise.
If Amway can afford to own an NBA team they're bigtime profitable. Its good to be the king on top of the pyramid. Not so good when you're the guy at the bottom carrying the weight.

The "new wave" of MLM's appear to be the kind targeting women, especially SAHM's. When the women in your Facebook feed start posting shit about Mary Kay, Thirty One, Avon, Scentsy... you know they're suckers.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4379 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:55 pm
If Amway can afford to own an NBA team they're bigtime profitable. Its good to be the king on top of the pyramid. Not so good when you're the guy at the bottom carrying the weight.

The "new wave" of MLM's appear to be the kind targeting women, especially SAHM's. When the women in your Facebook feed start posting shit about Mary Kay, Thirty One, Avon, Scentsy... you know they're suckers.
Just to be clear, Amway does not own an NBA team, the co-founder of Amway owns an NBA team (Orlando Magic) so there's a significant difference. Furthermore, he bought the franchise in 1991 for $85 million which is a relatively small amount (e.g. he could have gotten that from family money or other investments and the purchase has nothing to do with Amway).

Amway does own the naming rights to the arena where they play in Orlando (they pay $4 million / year) but I have no idea who actually gets the money (It's possible that the team owner ends up getting a significant portion of the name rights money so he might be kind of paying himself so the real cost of the naming rights could be much less (Amway writes off a $4 million per year expense and he gets some of that money back through his ownership of the team while providing exposure for his company)).
Last edited by michelb on Feb 11th, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1736 posts
863 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Toolbelt1255 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:25 pm
As for your second point, you'd have thought online retail would have meant the end of MLM pyramids. Nope, still see a lot of suckers falling for Amway, Mary Kay, Avon, Amsoil, Primerica, etc... So of course there are still suckers buying timeshares.
That's the sole reason most MLMs are totally dependent on foreign markets for survival, because those markets have low internet literacy rates or a government controlled web. In North America, MLMs are barely scraping by, tho still profitable, corporate wise.
[/quote]

A bit off topic- but veryvinteresting point. I’ve never read the stats in regards to MLM profits in Canada.

I know within my social media circles I’ve seen younger people around my age get suckered into stuff like Arbonne and the ‘It Works’ garbage. I could never wrap my head around it - as the people in question all are women about my age (born mid 80s), technology savvy (as in the ability to research said MLM online I would hope) & University educated (not that it means anything to have a degree this days- but a few of them teachers, have full time employment etc) and they fall for the get rich quick mentality. They push the “living my dream” or “boss babe” / “running my own business” bs on a daily on social media.

I’m just always floored how anyone falls for an MLM these days.
May 28, 2012
111 posts
47 upvotes
ONT
My credit score can get hit for this?
I will be only losing $3000 which was downpayment.
[/quote]
It's not the $3,000- you paid them, it's the $7,000- you haven't paid them...…...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19264 posts
5520 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 10:39 pm
Nope, still see a lot of suckers falling for Amway, Mary Kay, Avon, Amsoil, Primerica, etc...
How else are you going to be a #BossBabe?
Oct 12, 2015
180 posts
27 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
Arbonne
83% earned $0
here's a chart of what the other 17% grossed in commissions, before expenses and monthly qualifying purchases. Note these are averages and not median figures. Also note these figures are based on the average number of reps on the force, and with most MLMs having a rep churn rate of 60+%, these figures are greatly inflated. Also note that the huge earnings of a rare few greatly skew the averages upwards. https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/arb ... S_ICCS.pdf
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1406 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I went for a Wyndham ad Marriott Thailand time share presentations a decade ago. Took the gift (gas voucher and X, dining certificate) and ran. We went home, looked up the resale market, and found one could buy the points for 4-7 cents on the dollar (+ transfer fees). Don't remember when annual fees come due but just-before is the best time to buy.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7407 posts
4842 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MonctonMan wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 12:21 am
You can’t compare timeshares to hotels. The most appropriate comparison is buying condos or buildings where you don’t own the land. Or simply buying a house at an inflated price or in a market where prices are decreasing. In that context, especially if you have a job back in Canada, timeshares can be less stupid.

That being said, Airbnb might be more appropriate for most if you don’t like paying for hotels.
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 12:11 pm
Some of the timeshares are rented out like hotels though so in those cases you can compare.
This

One of the best known I think is the Sheraton Vistana Resort Village on International Drive in Orlando.
https://www.vistana.com/destinations/sh ... t/overview

It’s was built as a Timeshare Property (and still is) with 100s & 100s of condos
(If not 1000s upon 1000s, the place is huge... I honestly don’t know how many condos have been built there in the last 40ish years)

But over the past 30+ years it’s been rented out both as Hotel & Condo Rentals by Sheraton
And since the likes of VRBO, AirBnB etc, it’s had a huge presence on the net with Owners renting out their units on their own

Been there several times over the decades under all terms
Booked thru Sheraton back in the 1980s, with friends at their timeshare in the 90s, and most recently thru VRBO
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2583 posts
2021 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 10:14 pm
I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Canada would pursue this debt at all given that by walking away they have more inventory to sell to some other sucker.

My MIL had THREE timeshares that she finally got tired of paying the ever-increasing annual maintenance for (getting to the point, if not already, of being higher than what one might otherwise just rent the place for as an outsider) so just told them to pound sand and hasn't heard a word since.

Having said that, I'm also surprised that anybody buys timeshares any more. I thought that the whole concept had been thoroughly debunked a couple of decades ago. Who knew?
You are always very judgemental and like to bash poor people who miss a few payments here, but it's ok to scam a timeshare? It's a legit business for many.

Nobody forced your MIL to buy a timeshare. Your hypocrisy is astounding.
Dec 3, 2013
433 posts
126 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:44 pm
This

One of the best known I think is the Sheraton Vistana Resort Village on International Drive in Orlando.
https://www.vistana.com/destinations/sh ... t/overview

It’s was built as a Timeshare Property (and still is) with 100s & 100s of condos
(If not 1000s upon 1000s, the place is huge... I honestly don’t know how many condos have been built there in the last 40ish years)

But over the past 30+ years it’s been rented out both as Hotel & Condo Rentals by Sheraton
And since the likes of VRBO, AirBnB etc, it’s had a huge presence on the net with Owners renting out their units on their own

Been there several times over the decades under all terms
Booked thru Sheraton back in the 1980s, with friends at their timeshare in the 90s, and most recently thru VRBO
Cheers! We are staying there next month courtesy of my parents who traded their timeshare week on RCI.

My folks bought 2 timeshares. Don’t think they have stayed in either home resort in the past 15 years. They’ve gotten good value out of trading them. If you are savvy and travel off season or last minute some of the swaps you can do are fantastic.