[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19260 posts
7513 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

Tip Shaming?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3539922/custo ... ions-grow/

So apparently tip shaming is a thing now?

Lol @ restaurants having 20, 25 and 30% as preset tipping options. Any establishment that has the balls to do this can go f itself IMO.

And I never understood why women with tight tops and short skirts get better tips. Like I understand it, but just seems so unoriginal to give a good tip because the waitress has all of her goods on display. How does that entitle them to a better tip?

I give 15% for standard service and 20% for exceptional service. I can’t think of a situation where I’d give 30% unless the waitress is tossing free drinks my way all night lol.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
784 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14134 posts
995 upvotes
A tipping thread on RFD.

Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7297 posts
3115 upvotes
Toronto
yeah a lot of them now have 18% instead of 15%.

the best part is the tip calculation button is based on the BILL + TAXES.

you don't tip on taxes folks.

ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1464 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
I tip 15% pretax. The machines with the preset 18%, 20%, 25% is absolutely ridiculous. I still can't believe how only 10 years ago the general standard was about 10% and 15% was for exceptional service. With minimum wage going up in Ontario and as the costs get passed to the consumer I'll be tipping even less since they are now being compensated more for walking 15 feet to deliver my food from the kitchen to the table.

Frankly they can tip shame me all they want if they feel like I'm not being generous enough. It really isn't my responsibility to fund their lifestyle. That's their employer's responsibility.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1598 posts
621 upvotes
Kitchener
daivey wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:58 pm
yeah a lot of them now have 18% instead of 15%.

the best part is the tip calculation button is based on the BILL + TAXES.

you don't tip on taxes folks.

ridiculous.
Yep. No tip on taxes. But it seems that the restaurants haven't gotten the memo.

Many of the joints I go to now have 15%, 20% and 25%.

I remember when it was 10% for OK service, 15% for good service and 20% for exception, or if a really fancy restaurant.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4701 posts
937 upvotes
Aurora
The $ button is your friend, folks. Consider the preset % buttons will have a "convenience" premium built in for laziness in not calculating and manually entering the tip one wants to give. They'll probably catch on and get rid of that $ button. Then I'll pay the bill by machine and tip in cash separately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7184 posts
1005 upvotes
With minimum wage at $15 there should be $0 tip.

Tipping started in States without minimum wage controls where servers get paid $2-4 an hour, and yes thats a 2017 wage. Thats where tipping is "the thing".

I avoid restaurants in Canada like the plague. Double the price for rubber food in most establishments, save a select few every city has, and tipping is obligatory, eff that.

Now they expect mandatory tipping on a $15 wage? lol Thats stripper money!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16938 posts
1355 upvotes
Woodbridge
The only place I really I tip well, again depending on the service is Mandarin. Last week I gave $15 on a $50 bill. It only happened once where I have nothing.

I get the whole showing T&A, it sells which is why men are more generous tippers. Again, it all boils down to the service.

What I don't get is and this surprised me last week Osmow's added tipping percentage on their terminal? Sorry this didn't work.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4128 posts
247 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 1:03 am
With minimum wage at $15 there should be $0 tip.

Tipping started in States without minimum wage controls where servers get paid $2-4 an hour, and yes thats a 2017 wage. Thats where tipping is "the thing".

I avoid restaurants in Canada like the plague. Double the price for rubber food in most establishments, save a select few every city has, and tipping is obligatory, eff that.

Now they expect mandatory tipping on a $15 wage? lol Thats stripper money!
Min. wage for hospitality (servers) isn't, nor will it be $15. It's going up a little bit, but certainly not up to $15! I think it's around $11.50 or so?
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31702 posts
8090 upvotes
GTHA
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 6:23 am
Min. wage for hospitality (servers) isn't, nor will it be $15. It's going up a little bit, but certainly not up to $15! I think it's around $11.50 or so?
Hospitality (servers) jobs are in the 'General Minimum Wage' category

Liquor Servers minimum wage going from $9.90 per hour to $13.05 per hour

Read https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2017/05/ ... -laws.html
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1618 posts
213 upvotes
Markham
All this right of entitlement BS started with tip cups being put out at the cashiers in a food court.
If the restaurant owners want to increase the income of their staff, take it out of their bottom line and accomplish that through any other means.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10924 posts
1265 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
This is where China is better - no tipping or taxes. In fact some local peeps find it insulting or immoral to accept tips for jobs they are paid to do... One foreigner experience. He gave a tip to a chic at a restaurant and she ended up chasing him to the parking lot to personally hand him his tip back saying "It's not right. I'm already paid to do my job."

Wow, what a concept!! *shock*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jun 1, 2017
16 posts
16 upvotes
wait.. I think I just discovered something...
With Ontario minimum wage increasing to 15 / hour... will this be the end of the tipping in restaurants era???
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1591 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
My friends and I once tipped a waiter. Waiter came back with the tip money and told us to keep it because it wasn't 'enough'. Bill came to just under $100 and we tipped $15
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10924 posts
1265 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
marsrych wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 10:05 am
wait.. I think I just discovered something...
With Ontario minimum wage increasing to 15 / hour... will this be the end of the tipping in restaurants era???
Damn straight. Watch the cost pass thru to consumers. $15 big macs?? Hell to the naaaww. It wont pass if corporate lobbies have anything to say about it.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING