• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2040 posts
1516 upvotes
Back to Thailand and then Bali where I will be staying at Hilton suite with executive lounge and breakfast for 100us a night - no tips expected whatsoever.

See ya again next year if I can get a cheap China Southern flight to Canada. I have been avoiding to eat at restaurants here simply because of tipping.... and frankly the food sucks when there are so many healthy choices at the food courts nowadays.

Buh bye
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10394 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:58 pm
A tipping thread on RFD.

seriously...

Tipping threads should be banned on RFD.

Nothing but people trying to justify being cheap. THOSE WHO ARE AGAINST TIPPING

I can't recall a time i have ever tipped $0.
Last edited by Swerny on Nov 18th, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13371 posts
5777 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Swerny wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:55 am
seriously...
Seriously!
Why?
Nothing but people trying to justify being cheap.
Reread this thread carefully. Many people are making comments about how tipping works, how people can be shamed into tipping [more], how tips are shared among staff [and management], the effect on tipping after hikes to minimum wage, "fairer" tipping, tipping practices in other countries, alternatives to tipping, etc.

I see lots of serious, considered and respectful discussion of a controversial topic. On what basis should that discussion be banned?
Neither can I. I also can't recall ever shoplifting. Should we therefore ban discussion on that topic?

P.S. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to share with us why you think tipping, as practiced in North America, is such a great idea.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8109 posts
956 upvotes
Victoria
I've tipped a penny once because the service was that bad, and it was intended to be an insult, rather than being cheap. I usually tip 15% if the service is ok... 20% if the service is really. That being said it really does add up. I'd probably eat out more if I didn't always have to gross the bill up by 15 to 20%. That's definitely me being cheap.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13371 posts
5777 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
zod wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 10:48 am
I've tipped a penny once because the service was that bad, and it was intended to be an insult, rather than being cheap.
Like RFD's now-defunct downvoting scheme, leaving such a tip does nothing to communicate to the restaurant's staff why you felt this was necessary. It does nothing to explain what they could do to make you more satisfied in the future, or even give them the opportunity to encourage you to come back and give them a second chance.

Much better to get the manager and explain to them why you feel the need to take such a measure. I bet most of them would much rather have such a conversation and deal with their staff accordingly rather than have disgruntled patrons give them a 1¢ "downvote."
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8109 posts
956 upvotes
Victoria
bylo wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 10:59 am
Like RFD's now-defunct downvoting scheme, leaving such a tip does nothing to communicate to the restaurant's staff why you felt this was necessary. It does nothing to explain what they could do to make you more satisfied in the future, or even give them the opportunity to encourage you to come back and give them a second chance.

Much better to get the manager and explain to them why you feel the need to take such a measure. I bet most of them would much rather have such a conversation and deal with their staff accordingly rather than have disgruntled patrons give them a 1¢ "downvote."
I only did it once and it was extraordinarily crappy service. I've never really been the kind of person to put up a stink. I'd rather pay my bill and GTFO. Never been a complain to the manager kind of person.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5548 posts
3130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:03 am
Asian buffets for the win.
They don’t tip more than 10% so that’s all they should expect
Wow you been tipped by a Buffet.
That’s a first
:rolleyes:

Anything else and the “they” in your comment is stereotypical racism
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3531 posts
940 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 2:35 pm
Wow you been tipped by a Buffet.
That’s a first
:rolleyes:

Anything else and the “they” in your comment is stereotypical racism
Asians
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4699 posts
751 upvotes
Thornhill
Swerny wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 9:55 am
seriously...

Nothing but people trying to justify being cheap. THOSE WHO ARE AGAINST TIPPING

I guess you only "tough" on internets... since you let others walk over you in real life. You should not tip on bad service and I don't believe you never had a bad service, unless of course you just sit at home and never go out then perhaps that's why you always tip.

1. Tip should be provided for great service.
2. It's up to you what to give. I can tip 0 for bad service. 10% for nice service or 30% for excellent - my choices!
3. It's up to you who to tip. Just because taxi drivers expect a tip, doesn't mean anyone should. I do NOT tip taxi drivers unless he is beyond excellent for some reason. Uber has been great because of it.

The whole tipping culture is laughable. People who make your burger at McD or coffee at Tims/SBucks make minimum wages,yet work much harder than servers in many restaurants( fine dining restaurants servers don't work hard at all!!!),yet receive next to no tips. We don't tip bus drivers,yet tip taxi drivers. We tip a bell man for opening a door,but can spend 10 minutes at a front desk of a hotel asking questions,yet wouldn't give a $. We tip hotel housekeeping( average these days $16.90-19/h) and waiters yet nobody tips flight attendants! Nobody tips mechanics changing your tires,yet those are probably students who work for minimum wages. I can go on and on
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13371 posts
5777 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
When you leave a tip — whether you want to or not
“We’ve been placed into a situation that brings up both embarrassment and guilt if we do not honour this mandatory system, even though we don’t agree with it and we may not feel the service was even worth tipping”...

Most offensive to guests is that these gratuities are added to their bills with a claim that it’s for their “convenience.” But that’s not what it feels like. Even the most benign kind of auto-tip – a helpful notation on a point-of-sale screen that asks, “How much would you like to tip?” can be deceptive. Push the 20 per cent button and, more often than not, it will bill you for a percentage that is based on the amount of the meal – plus tax...

Your inattention feeds the reckless expansion of automatic tipping. Every time you absent-mindedly sign a check or push the “tip 15 per cent” button on a Square terminal or sign a room-service bill without reviewing it, you’re silently endorsing the often deceptive practice of auto-tipping. At the very least, it’s a hidden price increase that almost always sticks. At the most, it’s a violation of one of the core principles of American business: Never lie to your customers
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13371 posts
5777 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
People tip at Timmies? Who knew?

What's the purpose of tipping at "fast food" self-serve "restaurants" like Timmies and McD's where the customer places the order, picks it up, takes it to their table, busses the table, etc?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8572 posts
1853 upvotes
London
bylo wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:37 pm

What's the purpose of tipping at "fast food" self-serve "restaurants" like Timmies and McD's where the customer places the order, picks it up, takes it to their table, busses the table, etc?
Many people don't want the small amount of change. Some regulars tip because it gets them faster service, or bigger portions, or because the servers flirt with them. Some people see the tip cup and assume it's expected. Some people have special requests and a little lucre ensures it's done the way they like.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31814 posts
8174 upvotes
GTHA
bylo wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:37 pm

Fyi, some McD's restaurants have table service and I have had their staff ask me if they can get rid of my garbage while I am sitting at the table.

The company is overhauling the way it does business, adding self-service kiosks and bringing table delivery and dedicated wait staff to its restaurants -- and hiring 15,000 people in the process.
from https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/mcdonal ... -1.2588733

McDonald's is hoping that home delivery, table service and mobile app ordering will help the fast food chain stay afloat in the ever competitive and ever crowded fast food market
from https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/mcdonal ... -1.3308215
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5548 posts
3130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:19 pm
Toronto Tim Hortons under fire for new no-tipping policy
https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/0 ... ng-policy/
Just makes them ANOTHER in the Fast Food industry with a policy where employees cannot accept tips... and any if left must be put into the till.

Tip therefore ends up going to Corp... not to the Minimum Wage Employee / Working Poor as intended by the Customer

People be smart... DON’T TIP AT FAST FOOD PLACES

You are only aiding the BIG RICH CORPS IN GETTING RICHER