Tip Shaming?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 9:26 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alexh9 wrote: is there a consensus on how much one should tip for take-out, if at all?
Generally there's no need to tip. But if you're a frequent customer and/or the restaurant provided something special (e.g. a no-cost substitution or extras, etc.) then a small cash tip might be appropriate. Ironically this is closer to the original purpose of tipping than what tipping at sit-down restaurants has now been bastardized into.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6365 posts
6726 upvotes
Center of Canada
I just wondering.
Anyone know if I order "Dominion pizza" I get charge for $3.95 delivery charge.
Does that $3.95 go to the delivery guy? I want to know as I want to know how should I tip him.

To me, I won't tip by % of my order, because it really doesn't matter I order $20 or $40, he still delivery the same way.
However, I tip cash based on weather.
If it is good weather, I just tip him $2. If it is bad weather, like snow like hell, freezing rain, etc, I tip him $5 as it get difficult to delivery my order.

Buy i just want to know is the guy got pay by like $15 per hour? or the $3.95 delivery charge actually go to him.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2046 posts
1661 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: I just wondering.
Does that $3.95 go to the delivery guy? I want to know as I want to know how should I tip him.

To me, I won't tip by % of my order, because it really doesn't matter I order $20 or $40, he still delivery the same way.
If it is good weather, I just tip him $2. If it is bad weather, like snow like hell, freezing rain, etc, I tip him $5 as it get difficult to delivery my order.

Buy i just want to know is the guy got pay by like $15 per hour? or the $3.95 delivery charge actually go to him.
Drivers get like 7/hour plus $1/order (commissions)+tips. If the Order is outside the Delivery area then $1.50 commission. Delivery charge goes to corporation. This was the case 5 yrs ago. Don’t know about now. But I’d assume it’s the same slight difference maybe $10/hour instead of $7
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cheapshopper wrote: I just wondering.

Delivery Charges are set by the Restaurant... so every Restaurant (Mgmt) gets to decide where that money goes.
Some certainly use it to offset the cost of having Delivery Services ... paying drivers etc
Others... who knows

Personally, we always tip the driver something
(usually $ 3 to $ 7 depending on the size of the order, speed of delivery, Stat Holiday, etc)

If from a Restaurant with an imposed Delivery Fee, then we round up a few bucks
(Ie Recent Order for Chinese $ 23.45, including $ 3 Delivery... we gave the Driver $ 25.00, and told him to keep the change... he seemed happy enough... I guess most people don’t tip anything when there is an Imposed Delivery Charge. $ 1.55 is not much, but added to the $ 3.00 = $ 4.55, assuming the driver got it all)

No matter what, we certainly tip MORE if the weather is awful enough that we chose Delivery vs going out to pick it up ourselves

Pouring Rain, Snowing & Blowing or 20 Below... and my tip range goes up from $ 3 to $ 7 ... to $ 5 to $ 10+

So the guy who brings me the HUGE Chinese Food Oder for my Extended Family Feast every New Years Day is by far my heaviest delivery tip of the year
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Amourek wrote: How about grocery delivery services like Instacart? Tip or no tip?
Like Uber, they started out with the best of intentions, i.e. a no-tipping-required policy. Then they were "shamed" by their drivers into following custom. See Instacart is playing games with its workers’ pay — and will eventually suffer for it - Recode. Another failure in the battle to end the practice of tipping.

My general rule of thumb with new services like Uber and Instacart:
1.The practice of tipping in addition to paying the mandatory service charge (that may be baked into the total cost must be stopped.)
2. So no tip required unless the service provider goes out of their way to make my day.

Remember that the company collects a service fee in lieu of tip. If the drivers aren't getting it, or not getting all of it, then they have a beef with their company, not with me. If we all did that we'd start to win a few battles and hopefully slowly win the war. Otherwise we just perpetuate the practice of "tip shaming" and/or "tipping on top of service fees."
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
alexh9 wrote: Since this thread is so epic, I can't really search for this, but is there a consensus on how much one should tip for take-out, if at all?
Doubtful that there is a consensus on this. I tip like $2 at one Chinese place, but only 'cuz the food is good, and they give you a lot, and I expect that money (or some of it) to go to the kitchen staff, to top it off, a combo is about the same price as McDonald's, and taste's 100x better. Anywhere else, like Domino's or Swiss Chalet, or wherever, never do I tip. Though Domino's seems to be the only one with that option to tip. For pick-up. What the...
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
A refreshing tip about tipping from my hotel last week in Iceland.

No.Tipping.Iceland.jpg

If only we could create the same environment in Canada. (Yeah, I know I'm dreaming.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 15, 2006
49 posts
No surprise, the redflagdeals community is extremely cheap and hates tipping. lol.

Tipping is meant to reward a server for their service, the percentage shouldn't matter, and it certainly shouldn't matter if the tip % is based on pre or post tax calculations. Get off your wallets and reward good service if you can, or don't go out to eat/drink!

The amount of whining and careful calculation that so many of you put into this is ridiculous. You're ok with spending $100 on dinner, but heaven forbid your tip be anymore than $10.

Be generous if you have it. Don't be if you can't. End of story.

I'm not a server, and I'm not related to any servers.

V
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1230 posts
582 upvotes
Vancouver
victa wrote: No surprise, the redflagdeals community is extremely cheap and hates tipping. lol.

Tipping is meant to reward a server for their service, the percentage shouldn't matter, and it certainly shouldn't matter if the tip % is based on pre or post tax calculations. Get off your wallets and reward good service if you can, or don't go out to eat/drink!

The amount of whining and careful calculation that so many of you put into this is ridiculous. You're ok with spending $100 on dinner, but heaven forbid your tip be anymore than $10.

V
Should I tip bus driver then? if they smile at me on the bus and say "How are you"

They also get paid for their job and they go on strike sometime
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
victa wrote: No surprise, the redflagdeals community is extremely cheap and hates tipping. lol.

V
I shouldn't have to tip because we should all receive good service all the time. If you don't then there's a problem with the staff that should be rectified.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

V
You need to read up on the history of slavery, the restoration period after the American Civil War, and how Tipping gained such a foothold in North America.
Perhaps then you’d be more apt to be INSULTED by Tipping “culture”
Whether you work in the industry or not

Not Tipping, is not the opposite of Tipping

The opposite, is actually paying people a FAIR WAGE they can actually live on

That is what Canada should strive for ... then there would be no need to tip anyone.

Server would work. Server would be paid as per the Federal Law, and Server (and Employer) would BOTH pay what they owe to the Government in regards to income taxes.

Canada is moving in this direction... to join most of the rest of the world.

America still lags far behind... where Employers still TAKE ADVANTAGE of Service People, paying them less than they deserve... in fact there are 5 US STATES that have no State Mandated Minimum Wage... where the RICH Employer abuses this fact to pay substandard wages that Servers cannot live on (like $ 2 or $ 3 an hour).

And oh ya, what 5 States would they be ?

Alabama - Louisiana - Mississippi - South Carolina - and Tennessee

All Southern States ... 5 of the most confederate states. 5 States densely populated by Blacks. 5 States where Jim Crow was king. 5 States where most living below the poverty line are “people of colour”.

Want to do something positive in this world... fight on the side of a Living Minimum Wage ... even here in Canada that would make a huge difference for the working poor. There should not be 2 Minimum Wages... one for servers and one for everyone else. That is discrimination against folks who work in the service industry. No man or woman should have to “beg” for the tips that make up a portion of their income... that’s degrading, and unfair... why should the pretty server get more than the plain server... the young more than the old ... the women more than the men ... everyone should just be paid the same FAIR wage based on merit / performance not looks etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
ˆˆˆ
Agree 100%, but.....
There should not be 2 Minimum Wages... one for servers and one for everyone else.
....are there two minimum wages in Ontario?
I thought it was $14.-/hr across the board.
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
krs wrote: ˆˆˆ
Agree 100%, but.....

....are there two minimum wages in Ontario?
I thought it was $14.-/hr across the board.
Three minimum wage categories actually: https://www.restaurantscanada.org/what- ... ase-means/
Minimum wage category January 1, 2018 January 1, 2019
General $14.00 $15.00
Student under 18 $13.15 $14.10
Liquor servers $12.20 $13.05
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Funny though, even with the minimum wage increase, I'm seeing more places with non-liquor minimum wage paying jobs put a tip option on their debit machines. Just lately I've seen this at a local coffee shop in Kingston and Dominos Pizza.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
victa wrote: ...
Tipping is meant to reward a server for their service, the percentage shouldn't matter, and it certainly shouldn't matter if the tip % is based on pre or post tax calculations. Get off your wallets and reward good service if you can, or don't go out to eat/drink!...
V
The problem is that people do not tip to reward superior service. Compensation studies have consistently shown that there is no direct connection between the service that a customer receives and the payment of a tip.

People tip for many reasons. Most tip because they are expected to. Tipping is a cultural tradition and "When in Rome..". Others tip because of peer pressure. It would be embarrassing to be seen as cheap by their table mates. Some tip to impress their servers - they want the server to believe that they can afford the experience. Keeping up appearances is important to some.

Others tip because they feel sorry for the servers. The servers work so hard and are paid so little, they believe. Others will tell you that they tip to pay it forward. They want to feel generous. Many tip because they themselves once were servers so they know what the job is like.

Still others tip in the hopes of receiving preferential treatment. This is very common in drinking establishments with people hoping for a free drink or a heavy pour.

The worst are those who tip due to personal biases. Attractive people generally receive more tips. People of certain nationalities receive more tips. Women dressed and looking a certain way receive more tips.

Even people who pay with credit cards tend to tip more than people who pay with cash.

Very different reasons why people tip, but very little to do with the service received. In fact, tipping has more to do with the reward the customer receives (how great they feel) than with the service received.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
I normally do 13% to just match the tax. I think that's fair. I find it unbelievable that tipping is the norm now and most machines show 15%, 18% and 20% and this is after tax...

when I went to Japan, they won't even allow you to tip. I once left a tip, and the waiter came running back to give me my money back and the service there was exceptional! I wish it was like that in Canada..
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
cybersaga wrote: Funny though, even with the minimum wage increase, I'm seeing more places with non-liquor minimum wage paying jobs put a tip option on their debit machines. Just lately I've seen this at a local coffee shop in Kingston and Dominos Pizza.
I've seen this at a lot of Dominos and Subways and it's annoying
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal

V
To each their own. I offer a service, and I don't expect nor want tips. I set my prices accordingly. You want to tip, ok, thanks! But, you know what my reward is? Providing good service and seeing my customers happy. If you are working for extra monetary reward as your goal you are in for a bad time and it sets a bad precedence. You will be upset if you don't get tips. You won't be providing the best service you can.

I don't believe in tip expectations. Tip if you want, but I think it is harmful as we have seen in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)

I take it that you never read through this thread to get the gist of it all, since it has almost nothing to to with being cheap. So I'll give you a summary.
  • Tipping used to be to...well... reward prompt service but these days it has morphed into an expectation and subsidy for employers paying low wages.
  • Tipping amounts used to be about 10%, but the expectations (sorry...'recommendation') has gone to 12%...then 15%...now 20% or even higher.
  • Pre-tax or after tax makes a difference.
It appears you missed the title of this thread too. Tip shaming. Making people feel obliged to leave a tip (even when they don't think it necessary) or a tip larger than they think warranted or affordable.

There ya go. The Cliff's Notes version of this thread. I've given my opinion on the topic elsewhere in this thread so I won't give it here.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)