• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 11:12 am
Tags:
None
Aug 21, 2013
28 posts
21 upvotes
I don't tip at all.

I don't fall for the sob stories, the cleavage, the short skirts or you calling me 'handsome', I'll pick up my food from the front counter if need be, The whole culture of tipping waitresses/waitors makes no sense to me.

Let's tip a person 15% of a $20 burger that fits on one plate....but wait if they bring me a $80 steak on one plate, I'll tip them even more! Why? Why should they get paid more if they make the same trip, carry the same plate, but one plate has a more expensive option than the other?

If anything, give my tip to the cook in the back sweating like a **** who actually made my delicious food.

Common courtesy my ass, it's common because of the weak.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11170 posts
3789 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Brewsky wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:36 am
I don't tip at all.
Consider that unfortunately the people you're taking out your dislike of tipping on aren't the ones who created the system. Nor can they change it. They're as much victims of it as you and I are. They're doing their job as best they can under the North American custom of tipping. Not tipping them doesn't do anything to change that system. The people who can change it, i.e. restaurant owners, don't give a damn.
it's common because of the weak
Ironically the "weak" in the current system also includes the servers and other restaurant workers who are powerless to change the system.

P.S. Considering that the normal custom in North America is to tip. Indeed it could be argued that it's even a form of social contract. So I wonder if it's ethical(*) for people who have decided not to tip regardless of service to dine at restaurants at all?

(*) Yes I realize that tipping, unlike paying the restaurant's bill, is voluntary. That's why I ask if it's ethical not to tip rather than if it's legal.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11309 posts
1570 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Brewsky wrote:
I don't tip at all.

I don't fall for the sob stories, the cleavage, the short skirts or you calling me 'handsome', I'll pick up my food from the front counter if need be, The whole culture of tipping waitresses/waitors makes no sense to me.

Let's tip a person 15% of a $20 burger that fits on one plate....but wait if they bring me a $80 steak on one plate, I'll tip them even more! Why? Why should they get paid more if they make the same trip, carry the same plate, but one plate has a more expensive option than the other?

If anything, give my tip to the cook in the back sweating like a **** who actually made my delicious food.

Doesn't your tip get shared with the kitchen staff?
Namaste not namaste. Inanity is the new insanity.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Mar 17, 2016
418 posts
306 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:31 am
Your example is both perfectly valid and potentially completely flawed as well which is what makes this system so infuriating.

Yes the server who brought your food to your table gave you the same service. But often they talk about how the tips are partially split out and also given to kitchen staff. And it's possible the kitchen staff had to put in over 5x the effort/service to make the $150 meal than they did to make the $50 meal. so if we were tipping for the amount of effort/work was done they $150 meal people should be tipping even more.

Alternatly the $150 could have been easier to actually make than the $50 meal. it just included a drop of refined truffle oil that costs $100/drop. And now we're back at a tipping confusion.
It's generally seen that a person ordering $150 plate has more money to throw around than the one getting $50 plate. That's why they're expected to tip more. It's proportional to your spending power/income.

I'm personally not a big fan of this system and tipping in general.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3209 posts
222 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
It's been mentioned a few times that the tips are shared with the kitchen staff.

I wonder how true that actually is in general.
Or is it just a ploy that waiters and waitresses use to get the message across that only a fraction of the tips actually end in the waiters pocket.

Because it sound that with tips included, a waiter would make $30 to $40 an hour.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14306 posts
4736 upvotes
krs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:55 pm
It's been mentioned a few times that the tips are shared with the kitchen staff.

I wonder how true that actually is in general.
Or is it just a ploy that waiters and waitresses use to get the message across that only a fraction of the tips actually end in the waiters pocket.

Because it sound that with tips included, a waiter would make $30 to $40 an hour.
Many restaurants do share tips - this is completely normal. This is why you will hear wait staff claim that no tip "costs me money" because the tip out is based on sales, not on tips received.

Restaurants cannot get involved in sharing the tips if they want to remain ignorant of them as income. If a restaurant becomes involved in sharing tips they are also responsible for taking out the appropriate tax and such from them.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2770 posts
1395 upvotes
The whole percentage game of tipping...
He bought the $ 25 bottle of wine vs $ 100 bottle of wine
And yet the service is identical
Shows exactly WHY tipping culture needs to stop
It literally started out as the equivalent of the poor emancipated servant BEGGING for the rich customer’s approval
And therefore a bigger tip

Problem is though that it is so ingra8ned in our NA culture that no one GETS why it’s a bad thing
And those who work for Service Class Wages, would flip out if the tips disappeared entirely
Cause many have become so accustomed to the culture... that they cannot see IN THIS MOMENT what is wrong with it

And of course Businesses, well they are not going to drive any bus towards change
(As we’ve witnessed since the New Year in Ontario)

So clearly the change has to come from the Government
And a grass roots movement who want more equality in the system
And for tipping to stop
It’s not going to be easy Living next door to America to move towards this needed social change (a fair living wage)
But it isn’t the first time we took a different path for the benefit of our citizens long term
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1860 posts
519 upvotes
Ontario
Spread the word and get more people outside of Rfd to sit down and think about how ridiculous tipping is, even now with the $14 min wage.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2008 posts
217 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:03 am
Spread the word and get more people outside of Rfd to sit down and think about how ridiculous tipping is, even now with the $14 min wage.
Either tip 15-20 percent or raise menu prices by at least that much

How many of the no-tippers will stop eating out?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11170 posts
3789 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:57 am
It’s not going to be easy Living next door to America to move towards this needed social change (a fair living wage)
But it isn’t the first time we took a different path for the benefit of our citizens long term
Back in the day when people used to tip in cash I'd cringe when I was in a European restaurant and saw USian tourists leaving large NA-style tips. My concern was that this would create an expectation of large tips from NA tourists among European servers. That generally hasn't happened but I have occasionally seen signs of disappointment when I've only rounded to the next 1 or 5 Euros.
So clearly the change has to come from the Government
Even that is problematic. It can't come from provincial governments because then there would be chaos as people tried to keep up with the tipping customs in each province. So it would have to be done all at once, i.e. through some sort of federal initiative. But labour laws are under provincial jurisdiction. We've all seen how well the provinces cooperate among themselves over such matters. So as much as I agree with the need for change, sadly I don't see a way forward.
Last edited by bylo on Jan 13th, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11170 posts
3789 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:03 am
1. What good would "sit[ting] down and think[ing] about how ridiculous tipping is" do? How do you propose to rectify the situation without stiffing restaurant staff?

2. The $14 min wage is intended to raise server staff's income. It was never intended to be a replacement for tipping. If people stop tipping as a result then servers' income won't go up. It might even go down. ISTM that we need to gradually increase min wage while gradually reducing tipping. How do we accomplish that?

3. The problem is cultural. It's been exploited over the years by restaurant owners who have raised minimum tip percentage expectations in order to pay their staff less. Look at the restaurant industry's reaction to the $14 min wage. How do you propose that we change the culture among Canadians in general and restaurateurs in particular?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3209 posts
222 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I think the change has to come from the public.

How can Government outlaw something that is voluntary and doesn't actually hurt anybody?

I think first having the payment machines giving otions of 15, 20 and 25% tips already have many people pissed off, and now the more than 20% increase in the minimum wage in Ontario and the press it is getting will add to that.
Jan 29, 2017
638 posts
543 upvotes
Brewsky wrote:

I see servers more as sales people where tip is the commission. The more they can up-sell ("Would you like another drink?") the more they earn. I too wish cooks were the one making the better wages as that is who I truly value. Good for places that will actually share tips.

The whole servers min wage is slightly less than general min is for sure driven by servers themselves. A tactic to make us feel bad about those poor servers.

Also why people tend to give a higher percentage at more upscale restaurants? I have not found the service to be different. Your bill is already inflated from the food alone, if anything the percentage should be lower.
Jan 4, 2013
165 posts
26 upvotes
Brewsky wrote:
I don't tip at all.

That's my problem. Yes the cook isn't making minimum wage, usually makes a decent living but of a 15% tip servers tip out 4% to the cooks. But let's be honest, who's actually doing the work. Writing down orders on a paper, walking with glasses and plates of food really isn't that hard. I can argue that people at fast food places do as much, grab orders, fill drinks and grab your food and hand it to you. Or a flower shop or garden center where they have loads of knowledge about their products, help you out, help you load your vehicles etc and that's also customer service.

Why is serving being deemed as a job that has to be minimum wage, while also being frowned upon if you don't tip. People who say "there's no jobs that pay well out there" are out to lunch. I know companies who are constantly hiring for well above minimum wage. With the minimum wage going up to $15 there is way less incentive for people to "support" servers
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1148 posts
231 upvotes
Kanata
krs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:55 pm

When I was serving, years ago, I'd make decent money during peak hours only. For example, if I was working a Friday 12-8 shift, peak would be 12-1 and 5-7. At 7ish, I wouldn't receive any more tables, Between 1-5 I would have a few come in for quick meals and leave a couple bucks, but I'd still be working and having to stock stuff and clean, part of the side duties. From 7-8 I would have side duties with no tables, meaning I was making the server wage. So, during peak I could hit that 40/hr, but it averages out to a lot less.