• Jul 28th, 2018 9:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16215 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
Unless I'm blown away by a waiter going out of their way, 15% is the max, and "ok service" is 10%. But thats on after tax so little higher i guess.

lol @ 28%
Mar 14, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
I forgot exactly which restaurant,but it was a somewhat expensive restaurant, 100/person. If I remember correctly and it was packed.
May 23, 2014
846 posts
426 upvotes
canada
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 5:47 pm
By doing this you really hurt the people that make your cruise vacation great
Those hardworking crew members

Your action of Boycotting the Tips has ZERO EFFECT on the cruise line
But staggering consequences on the life & well being of the crew members

Your action also doesnt work to have the Cruise Lines enact change and treat their staff better

All in...
Just seems unfair to me

And a bit ironic...

You are ok giving the BIG Corp THOUSANDS of dollars without hesitation
But not a relatively small portion of that amount to the folks who actually care about your vacation experience

Only you ultimately benefit from your cheapness
Knew someone who chose one of these jobs. Let’s get things straight , they are damn well aware of the hourly pay before hand. They also get compensated by going to 75 cities around the world on a tour. Do you under stand what the cost of that is ?

Also room board and meals . Whats the cost of that?

So if they get paid $1.99 after all that. It’s fair. Everyone takes the job so they can see a bunch of cities. Also stds are rampant on these cruise amongst workers.

People very quickly want to talk about the gender pay gap but forget the maternity leave compensation part in their calculations. Same goes for these “innocent” ship workers who don’t get paid enough.

Posters rhetoric above is to shame others and guilt them into paying for another’s life choices.

When people stop taking jobs that are lower pay employers will naturally raise the wages. However the demand is there for all inclusive ship jobs that pay minisicully but include 80 cities you can hop off and get some worldly experiences under ur belt , 3 meals a day, board, using the ships facilities at a discount.
Last edited by thesick on Mar 23rd, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 9, 2011
497 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
sinasdf wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 4:39 pm
I don't tip for takeout, ever.
Good validation. I thought I was the only one.
2 x Zoomer Wireless $36 loyalty plans - 4 GB of data!
4 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ask me anything about Zoomer or Freedom
Ecobee 3 Lite curtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4353 posts
1659 upvotes
Toronto
GodsDeal wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 9:02 pm
job takes no talent, no skill, girls (mostly) basically sell themselves for a little extra and dont want to advance anywhere else because for the most part some girls and some women and less men have been given an incredibly easy path to money and will suck the tap until its dry and nothing is left, which conveniently is when mother nature catches up and you cant work the same spots you used to that cashed in big tips.
:facepalm:

I'm confused... does this mean you only tip skilled and talented male lap dancers because the female ones have it easy?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19197 posts
7437 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
What pissed me off recently is one of my local Chinese restaurants (that I order from through the just eats app) automatically applies a 10% driver tip EVEN IF YOU SELECTED PICK UP. Get the **** out of here.

takes some navigation skills to remove it prior to order.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Temp. Banned
Jan 25, 2018
216 posts
134 upvotes
roblombardi wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 9:07 am
:facepalm:

I'm confused... does this mean you only tip skilled and talented male lap dancers because the female ones have it easy?
if thats what you took out of that than i think you're projecting a little.
Nov 6, 2016
118 posts
33 upvotes
Since this thread is so epic, I can't really search for this, but is there a consensus on how much one should tip for take-out, if at all?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11073 posts
1449 upvotes
Markham
alexh9 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 1:51 am
Since this thread is so epic, I can't really search for this, but is there a consensus on how much one should tip for take-out, if at all?
I never tip on take out personally.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13184 posts
5601 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alexh9 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 1:51 am
is there a consensus on how much one should tip for take-out, if at all?
Generally there's no need to tip. But if you're a frequent customer and/or the restaurant provided something special (e.g. a no-cost substitution or extras, etc.) then a small cash tip might be appropriate. Ironically this is closer to the original purpose of tipping than what tipping at sit-down restaurants has now been bastardized into.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1095 posts
567 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I just wondering.
Anyone know if I order "Dominion pizza" I get charge for $3.95 delivery charge.
Does that $3.95 go to the delivery guy? I want to know as I want to know how should I tip him.

To me, I won't tip by % of my order, because it really doesn't matter I order $20 or $40, he still delivery the same way.
However, I tip cash based on weather.
If it is good weather, I just tip him $2. If it is bad weather, like snow like hell, freezing rain, etc, I tip him $5 as it get difficult to delivery my order.

Buy i just want to know is the guy got pay by like $15 per hour? or the $3.95 delivery charge actually go to him.
Jun 25, 2010
496 posts
91 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 9:59 am
I just wondering.
Does that $3.95 go to the delivery guy? I want to know as I want to know how should I tip him.

To me, I won't tip by % of my order, because it really doesn't matter I order $20 or $40, he still delivery the same way.
If it is good weather, I just tip him $2. If it is bad weather, like snow like hell, freezing rain, etc, I tip him $5 as it get difficult to delivery my order.

Buy i just want to know is the guy got pay by like $15 per hour? or the $3.95 delivery charge actually go to him.
Drivers get like 7/hour plus $1/order (commissions)+tips. If the Order is outside the Delivery area then $1.50 commission. Delivery charge goes to corporation. This was the case 5 yrs ago. Don’t know about now. But I’d assume it’s the same slight difference maybe $10/hour instead of $7
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5244 posts
2888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cheapshopper wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 9:59 am
I just wondering.

Delivery Charges are set by the Restaurant... so every Restaurant (Mgmt) gets to decide where that money goes.
Some certainly use it to offset the cost of having Delivery Services ... paying drivers etc
Others... who knows

Personally, we always tip the driver something
(usually $ 3 to $ 7 depending on the size of the order, speed of delivery, Stat Holiday, etc)

If from a Restaurant with an imposed Delivery Fee, then we round up a few bucks
(Ie Recent Order for Chinese $ 23.45, including $ 3 Delivery... we gave the Driver $ 25.00, and told him to keep the change... he seemed happy enough... I guess most people don’t tip anything when there is an Imposed Delivery Charge. $ 1.55 is not much, but added to the $ 3.00 = $ 4.55, assuming the driver got it all)

No matter what, we certainly tip MORE if the weather is awful enough that we chose Delivery vs going out to pick it up ourselves

Pouring Rain, Snowing & Blowing or 20 Below... and my tip range goes up from $ 3 to $ 7 ... to $ 5 to $ 10+

So the guy who brings me the HUGE Chinese Food Oder for my Extended Family Feast every New Years Day is by far my heaviest delivery tip of the year
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13184 posts
5601 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Amourek wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 1:10 pm
How about grocery delivery services like Instacart? Tip or no tip?
Like Uber, they started out with the best of intentions, i.e. a no-tipping-required policy. Then they were "shamed" by their drivers into following custom. See Instacart is playing games with its workers’ pay — and will eventually suffer for it - Recode. Another failure in the battle to end the practice of tipping.

My general rule of thumb with new services like Uber and Instacart:
1.The practice of tipping in addition to paying the mandatory service charge (that may be baked into the total cost must be stopped.)
2. So no tip required unless the service provider goes out of their way to make my day.

Remember that the company collects a service fee in lieu of tip. If the drivers aren't getting it, or not getting all of it, then they have a beef with their company, not with me. If we all did that we'd start to win a few battles and hopefully slowly win the war. Otherwise we just perpetuate the practice of "tip shaming" and/or "tipping on top of service fees."
veni, vidi, Visa