None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5015 posts
1417 upvotes
Montreal
eclone wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 12:08 pm
If it wasn't for my wife, I'd just get take out. I'd much rather eat in a park or in the comfort of my own home.

I have no issues with giving a tip when a server goes above and beyond, but when most servers provide minimal and lackluster service and a good tip is expected, it pisses me off that they're using it as a social standard to strong arm me.

It's insane servers thinks their job is some type of special profession and deserves that type of reward for their "job" - it's your GD job. Walmart, McDonalds or Tims employees, don't get tips, neither should you. And yes, you are on the same level as them, a job that only deserves min wage.
This is exactly what I mean by tipping can create a bad work ethic and negative service.
Sep 8, 2006
616 posts
333 upvotes
Edmonton
victa wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 3:26 pm
No surprise, the redflagdeals community is extremely cheap and hates tipping. lol.

Tipping is meant to reward a server for their service, the percentage shouldn't matter, and it certainly shouldn't matter if the tip % is based on pre or post tax calculations. Get off your wallets and reward good service if you can, or don't go out to eat/drink!

The amount of whining and careful calculation that so many of you put into this is ridiculous. You're ok with spending $100 on dinner, but heaven forbid your tip be anymore than $10.

Be generous if you have it. Don't be if you can't. End of story.

I'm not a server, and I'm not related to any servers.

V
When the minimum wage reaches $15 in Alberta on October 1, 2018, tipping will be interesting. There will be those people that continue to tip 15% to 20% of the bill and then there will be those that drop to 5% to 10% of the bill. It's going to boil down to how much you think a waiter should be earning. Do it you see it as a minimum wage job where $15 an hour is sufficient or whether they are worth $15 an hour plus $20 to $50 of tips an hour. Being a decent waiter IMO does not require a ton of skill so to have a waiter earning $35 to $50 an hour that is crazy.
Jun 18, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
I am guilty of tipping when I don't think I need to, mainly when I order Dominos Pizza where I tip $2-3. I already pay a delivery charge for it to be delivered to my house. If there was no delivery charge, I probably would be more inclined to.

E: As for tipping in general, I think it should be under the discretion of the consumer to tip or not. While the main argument is if you can't afford it, don't eat out, I would say people shouldn't be judged on what they want to do with their hard-earned money.
Last edited by Electrah on Jul 10th, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2689 posts
1357 upvotes
Canadia
eclone wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 12:08 pm
It's insane servers thinks their job is some type of special profession and deserves that type of reward for their "job" - it's your GD job. Walmart, McDonalds or Tims employees, don't get tips, neither should you. And yes, you are on the same level as them, a job that only deserves min wage.
Restaurant staff work extremely hard and often get treated poorly by customers. A good server at a decent restaurant deserves to earn significantly better than minimum wage.

Few things annoy me more than watching an overpaid bro behave like an entitled jerk in a popular restaurant and then failing to tip to "teach someone a lesson." I've seen it cost a potential hire a job, because it gave raw insight into his personality.
Nov 2, 2015
432 posts
150 upvotes
Markham
retrothing wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 2:51 pm
Restaurant staff work extremely hard and often get treated poorly by customers. A good server at a decent restaurant deserves to earn significantly better than minimum wage.

Few things annoy me more than watching an overpaid bro behave like an entitled jerk in a popular restaurant and then failing to tip to "teach someone a lesson." I've seen it cost a potential hire a job, because it gave raw insight into his personality.
Not only Restaurant staff work extremely hard....many jobs require hard work and treated even poorly by customer, i also work very hard as well.

but why we (customer) only pay tip to restaurant server because they work hard? isn't it the company should award "the best server" ?
Last edited by a16107 on Jul 10th, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13689 posts
6111 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
retrothing wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 2:51 pm
1. People who "work extremely hard" in non-restaurant customer service jobs also "often get treated poorly by customers" yet are often paid only minimum wage. Still they get no tips. (Their minimum wage may be a bit higher but hardly enough to compensate for no tipping.)

2. People who "work extremely hard" in certain restaurant customer service jobs, e.g. at McDonalds and other fast food places, also "often get treated poorly by customers" yet are often paid only minimum wage. They too get no tips.

So working "extremely hard" and/or being "poorly treated" are hardly good justifications in favour of tipping.

[3. Tipping has always been justified as a reward for good service. I don't agree with that justification. But regardless, I've never seen tipping justified as a reward for working "extremely hard" and/or for being "poorly treated" by customers. [Added: There's no justification for treating people poorly. Certainly not tipping.]]
Last edited by bylo on Jul 10th, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4909 posts
1144 upvotes
Aurora
Simby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 2:39 pm
When the minimum wage reaches $15 in Alberta on October 1, 2018, tipping will be interesting. There will be those people that continue to tip 15% to 20% of the bill and then there will be those that drop to 5% to 10% of the bill. It's going to boil down to how much you think a waiter should be earning. Do it you see it as a minimum wage job where $15 an hour is sufficient or whether they are worth $15 an hour plus $20 to $50 of tips an hour. Being a decent waiter IMO does not require a ton of skill so to have a waiter earning $35 to $50 an hour that is crazy.
Well, here in Ontario minimum wage has reached $15 an hour (a huge jump from before) and as far as I can tell, restaurants still expect customers to tip 15% to 20%. Some even defaulting the card machine auto tip to >15%. So the gravy is still flowing in Ontario. Even after legislation of a so-called "living wage".
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1230 posts
270 upvotes
Kanata
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 4:45 pm
Well, here in Ontario minimum wage has reached $15 an hour (a huge jump from before) and as far as I can tell, restaurants still expect customers to tip 15% to 20%. Some even defaulting the card machine auto tip to >15%. So the gravy is still flowing in Ontario. Even after legislation of a so-called "living wage".
For servers, its 12.20
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1242 posts
914 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Some San Francisco restaurants are doing without waiters as costs rise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/dini ... rvice.html
https://table.skift.com/2018/01/22/rest ... st-casual/

Hope this becomes more popular.
Last edited by peli33 on Jul 10th, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4909 posts
1144 upvotes
Aurora
Dark Phoenix wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 4:58 pm
For servers, its 12.20
I stand corrected. Ontario servers are not subject to $15 min wage.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13689 posts
6111 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DiceMan wrote:
Well, here in Ontario minimum wage has reached $15 an hour
Actually it's only $14/hr until 01Jan19 when it becomes $15/hr.
Dark Phoenix wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 4:58 pm
For servers, its 12.20
Only until 01Jan19, at which time it's $13.05/hr.
DiceMan wrote:
and as far as I can tell, restaurants still expect customers to tip 15% to 20%. Some even defaulting the card machine auto tip to >15%. So the gravy is still flowing in Ontario. Even after legislation of a so-called "living wage".
So:
1. Servers earn more.
2. Restaurateurs raise menu prices to compensate.
3. The tip percentage remains the same.

Consequently customers pay more for their meals then tip more on that. Yet the service performed, which is purportedly what tipping is for, remains unchanged.

What a @#$%ed up system we have here.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Nov 2, 2015
432 posts
150 upvotes
Markham
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 5:07 pm
I stand corrected. Ontario servers are not subject to $15 min wage.
so I assume each server serves two tables per hour and each table pay $5 tip to their pocket. (I think this is an underestimated number.)

Then server earned $12.2 + $10 = $22.2 per hour average and they rolling the eyes if I am the third table and only pay them $3 - $4?

This is already a much better pay than most of the low skill or even med skill jobs.
Sep 8, 2006
616 posts
333 upvotes
Edmonton
peli33 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 5:06 pm
Some San Francisco restaurants are doing without waiters as costs rise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/dini ... rvice.html
https://table.skift.com/2018/01/22/rest ... st-casual/

Hope this becomes more popular.
I go to a restaurant for the food so the main thing is that the food quality is good. Servers or not doesn't matter as it takes minimal effort to pick up the order and utensils, and return the dishes after the meal. Seattle has quite a few of these waiterless restaurants as their minimum wage is $15 and the places were awesome.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3772 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
I suspect some posters in this thread have eaten a lot more phlegm than they realize....
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1242 posts
914 upvotes
Simby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 6:06 pm
I go to a restaurant for the food so the main thing is that the food quality is good. Servers or not doesn't matter as it takes minimal effort to pick up the order and utensils, and return the dishes after the meal. Seattle has quite a few of these waiterless restaurants as their minimum wage is $15 and the places were awesome.
Same for me, I wish people actually making the food were better compensated. On the other hand I understand why the system is set up this way. For restaurants, waiters are really the sales people. Tip is the commission - the more they can upsell, the more they make and restaurants generates more revenues.