• Sep 25th, 2018 8:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1155 posts
616 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was at Asia Legend at Markham for dinner tonight, eye opening.
First the food really sucks.
It was me and my mom for dinner, bill was $58 after tax.
Here is the issue., The server enter the amount on the machine, hand over to me ask me to TAP.
I almost did it , but right before I tap, I notice the screen show total payment is $72.5. Look carefully, she enter 25% tip FOR ME.
I press cancel , told her the amount is wrong ask her to enter it again, didn't mention the tip.
She quickly enter the amount again, ask me to give her my card to tap, I ask her give me the machine. Sure enough, it show 25% tip.

I end up drop $60 cash and left.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Jul 10th, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11349 posts
1691 upvotes
Markham
cheapshopper wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:27 pm
Here is the issue., The server enter the amount on the machine, hand over to me ask me to TAP.
I almost did it , but right before I tap, I notice the screen total payment is $72.5. Look carefully, she enter 25% tip FOR ME.
I press cancel , told her the amount is wrong ask her to enter it again, didn't mention the tip.
She quickly do it, ask me to give her my card to tap, I ask her give me the machine. Sure enough, it show 25% tip.

I would have entered 58.xx and then spoken to the manager.

I tip when I go out to eat, or get food delivered, but that is ridiculous.
Nov 2, 2015
432 posts
150 upvotes
Markham
cheapshopper wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 10:27 pm
I almost did it , but right before I tap, I notice the screen show total payment is $72.5. Look carefully, she enter 25% tip FOR ME.
She quickly enter the amount again, ask me to give her my card to tap, I ask her give me the machine. Sure enough, it show 25% tip.

that server is stupid...customer will get receipt and she thinks nobody will see it?
Feb 11, 2018
888 posts
693 upvotes
My solution to tipping is simple; I don't go eat in restaurants anymore. I don't need the aggravation. I can either eat at home or order take out that I pick up myself, so no tipping. A long time ago a restaurant worker in Montreal was insulted because I walked in and ordered take out without giving him a tip for taking my order. So he told the folks in the kitchen who left my food exposed to air longer in order it dries up.

Like I said I don't need the hassle of dealing with freaking idiots. No more restaurant and NO MORE TIPPING. Zero! Congrats guys and girls!
Buy Less. Save More.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1155 posts
616 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:52 am
My solution to tipping is simple; I don't go eat in restaurants anymore. I don't need the aggravation. I can either eat at home or order take out that I pick up myself, so no tipping. A long time ago a restaurant worker in Montreal was insulted because I walked in and ordered take out without giving him a tip for taking my order. So he told the folks in the kitchen who left my food exposed to air longer in order it dries up.

Like I said I don't need the hassle of dealing with freaking idiots. No more restaurant and NO MORE TIPPING. Zero! Congrats guys and girls!
I run into many places ask for tip even for take out.

I was in Montreal last week, at one coffee shop (only have 2 small table so mostly to go place), and right next to the cashier, they have a tip jar , with a big sign "God will know if you don't tip!! " of cause in English and French.
Feb 11, 2018
888 posts
693 upvotes
This reminds me of a story that was on TV some years ago. A waitress in Hollywood had complained because the actor Don Johnson had only left a $10 tip when he ordered a $50 hamburger.

Best and Worst Celebrity tippers
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Jul 11th, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buy Less. Save More.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5984 posts
3570 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 2:05 pm
This reminds me of a story that was on TV some years ago. A waitress in Hollywood had complained because the actor Don Johnson had only left a $10 tips when he ordered a $50 hamburger.
Lol, of course cause people assume every “two bit” (pun) actor in Hollywood / Tvland must be Uber rich
:rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1686 posts
644 upvotes
Kitchener
DiceMan wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 9:23 pm
The $ button is your friend, folks. Consider the preset % buttons will have a "convenience" premium built in for laziness in not calculating and manually entering the tip one wants to give. They'll probably catch on and get rid of that $ button. Then I'll pay the bill by machine and tip in cash separately.
I've started just taking in a 'cash tip' with me. Just ignore the tip feature altogether and give the server cash. I think they appreciate that more anyway. Cash is King.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 5:42 pm
I've started just taking in a 'cash tip' with me. Just ignore the tip feature altogether and give the server cash.
Which server?

What is happening more and more now when I go out to eat is the following:
Hostess greets you and seats you with acomment: "your waitress will be right with you'
At a fancy place a busboy shows up to fill the water glasses.
Waitress eventually shows up to take the order and maybe amswers some questions - but that is the last you see of her.
Next two other "servers" show up with salad plates in teir hands, who had the Greek, who had the Garden, who had the Cucumber and who had the Ceasar?
Then this repeats with the main dishes, two more servers (not the person who took the order), but here it gets more confusing if people substituted, ie mashed instead of baked, or if there was a choice of vegetables.

And once that is cleared up and everyone finished thir meal then one tries to get the attention of the original server to order dessert, coffee, an after dinner drink, whatever.
Finally the bill which may be handled by the original waitress or by yet another person.

Personal service which would justify a tip, is just ging down the tubes nowadays.
Oct 10, 2016
147 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you guys tip when you ordered pick up?

I, usually, tip $2.x ~4.x for my order (~~50) because the restaurant offers 10% for pick up orders. Now, if I only give $2.x tip for my order, the staff will give me a look Angry Face.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4422 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Why would you tip when ordering pick up?

One can order all sorts of items on line and pick them up at the store - Canadian Tire was just the last place I did that.
I wouldn't dream of tipping the CTC staff when I pick up the items, why should I tip the person at the restaurant?
They are not providing any different service.

Question is why do you get a 10% discount on pick up orders?
Is delivery from that restaurant "free"
If so that would mean on average they indirctly charge 10% of the price of the order for delivery but it's built into the price.
You have now assumed the cost of delivery so you should put the money in your pocket.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11349 posts
1691 upvotes
Markham
RobertL130 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:47 pm
Did you guys tip when you ordered pick up?

I, usually, tip $2.x ~4.x for my order (~~50) because the restaurant offers 10% for pick up orders. Now, if I only give $2.x tip for my order, the staff will give me a look Angry Face.
I never tip on pick up.
Oct 10, 2016
147 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 5:42 pm
I've started just taking in a 'cash tip' with me. Just ignore the tip feature altogether and give the server cash. I think they appreciate that more anyway. Cash is King.
You shall 'cash tip' only. If you pay with cc, I believe waitress will need to pay cc companies' service feeFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11349 posts
1691 upvotes
Markham
RobertL130 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:36 pm
You shall 'cash tip' only. If you pay with cc, I believe waitress will need to pay cc companies' service feeFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
I'd rather do it on a card so there is a record of the tip.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15091 posts
5357 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 6:30 pm
I suspect some posters in this thread have eaten a lot more phlegm than they realize....
I suspect that's more a myth perpetuated by people that don't want to tip but still do and want a better reason to sell it to themselves rather than a lack of willpower.