• Jul 17th, 2018 2:23 am
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2018
443 posts
298 upvotes
RobertL130 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:47 pm
Did you guys tip when you ordered pick up?

I, usually, tip $2.x ~4.x for my order (~~50) because the restaurant offers 10% for pick up orders. Now, if I only give $2.x tip for my order, the staff will give me a look Angry Face.
If the staff gives you a look then you should not go back. They could do pretty nasty things to your food the next time you show up. And if you think it is not happening than you are dreaming. People taking revenge on customers is happening everywhere. You just need to complain once, or have a waiter/waitress who is having a bad day... I could share a few stories with you but I won't.
Feb 11, 2018
443 posts
298 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:22 pm
I suspect that's more a myth perpetuated by people that don't want to tip but still do and want a better reason to sell it to themselves rather than a lack of willpower.
That's not a myth. You should spend some time working in a restaurant. Since you have doubts... Let me tell you what one guy was doing; he would take his pen, shove it where the sun doesn't shine (his own) and then use the pen to mix the soup.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14800 posts
5109 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:48 pm
That's not a myth. You should spend some time working in a restaurant. Since you have doubts... Let me tell you what one guy was doing; he would take his pen, shove it where the sun doesn't shine (his own) and then use the pen to mix the soup.
I have worked in restaurants and only witnessed the behaviour once.

But I have to laugh at someone doing that with a pen - doesn't seem that comfortable to me for them!
Feb 11, 2018
443 posts
298 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:52 pm
I have worked in restaurants and only witnessed the behaviour once.

But I have to laugh at someone doing that with a pen - doesn't seem that comfortable to me for them!
What is the worse you have witnessed?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4013 posts
389 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I worked in super high end restaurants in resorts - worst that happened there was actually that food that was accidentally dropped ended up on the plate and the cooks were not that concerned with cleanliness.

But I never saw a situation where a waiter complained that a repeat customer was a cheap tipper and they expected the cooks todo something nasty or they did it themselves.

Probably a situation where one cannot generalize.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1417 posts
521 upvotes
Kitchener
Generally, I don't tip for pick-up. I know that Domino's has it on their debit machine to tip -- in store. Like...ok...but..no. I do tip this one place for take-out, but only because it's not expensive, and 1 meal is good for almost 2 meals, they're not cheap. Should be noted, no discount for pick-up. Should be noted too, that this place I tip is family owned, so the money goes to the family.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4013 posts
389 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I tip different in the two family restaurants I got to as well.
At least 20% or more.
But the food is much better, the prices quite a bit less and the service superior to what one gets in the chain restaurant.
So in the end, the grand total is still less.
Only problem is that these two places are not air-conditioned, so I haven't been there in the last little while
Nov 22, 2017
55 posts
15 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:48 pm
Most restaurants you pay after you get your food, unless you're a serial non tipper and the waitress remembers you.
Feb 11, 2018
443 posts
298 upvotes
Extrahard wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:03 am
Most restaurants you pay after you get your food, unless you're a serial non tipper and the waitress remembers you.
It is not just about poor tipping. One guy came to work right after his girlfriend had dumped him. Let me tell you on that day all female customers served by that waiter had a bonus in their food. My advice if you are a lousy tipper is not to go back because they will remember you. But even if you tip generously you never know what's in your food.

The safest place to eat is where you see them handle the food. Like when ordering Shawarma or Shish taouk plate/sandwich and they cut the meat right in front of you. Where everything is done in front of you.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3637 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
jeff1970 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:16 am
Should be noted too, that this place I tip is family owned, so the money goes to the family.
Interesting thought (and there's probably no right answer) - if one of the main drivers behind tipping is to supplement the pay of someone who's doing a lot of work for potentially not very much, would you really tip more if it's a family run business compared to a chain? I mean you're essentially tipping the boss, who has complete control over how much he wants to charge for all the menu items. Not saying it's wrong, it's just a bit at odds with the normal stereotype of giving a good tip to the poor server who's trying to work their way through college etc.

Not suggesting you should not tip family run businesses, but I don't know if I'd tip an owner more than a regular employee at a chain.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2086 posts
635 upvotes
Toronto
I remember when tips were earned for doing outstanding work. Now it seems like we all have to tip regardless the level of (crappy) service we get. And this is coming from someone who has worked in the hotel and restaurant industry for at least 16 years. I give generous tips to staff who at least smile or respond to my table's requests in a timely manner.
Apr 18, 2017
224 posts
79 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:45 am
One guy came to work right after his girlfriend had dumped him. Let me tell you on that day all female customers served by that waiter had a bonus in their food.
Did you say anything to him about it?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4013 posts
389 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Manatus wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:20 pm
Interesting thought (and there's probably no right answer) - if one of the main drivers behind tipping is to supplement the pay of someone who's doing a lot of work for potentially not very much, would you really tip more if it's a family run business compared to a chain? I mean you're essentially tipping the boss, who has complete control over how much he wants to charge for all the menu items. Not saying it's wrong, it's just a bit at odds with the normal stereotype of giving a good tip to the poor server who's trying to work their way through college etc.

Not suggesting you should not tip family run businesses, but I don't know if I'd tip an owner more than a regular employee at a chain.
In my case the tip goes to the daughter who is the server.
The mother handles the kitchen and the husband just provides pleasant conversation if requested or smiles if he is in the restaurant.

I assume he probably does the book keeping, maybe the ordering etc.

In my case the higer tips percentage wise is mostly because the food is better and cheaper than in the chain restaurants.
I don't find it fair that tips tend to be based on a percentage.
The chain charges $22,- for the main course, the family place $12 for essentially the same type of meal (just better prepared), so why should the chain waiter receive $3.30 and the family waiter $1.80 (just as an example of a hypothetical 15% tip.
To top it off, the family waitress provides much better and more attentive service.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4513 posts
644 upvotes
Thornhill
15% pretax for me is norm for GOOD service. If service was not very good then either no tip or very small. Absolutely no need to tip on bad service,but a lot of folks do and that only encourages bad service!!
Now, if service was exceptional then I can go as much as 30%, but I rarely see that.

Oh and I NEVER tip taxi drivers. That's why I take uber - you know how much I pay. With these taxi drivers who can't drive, don't speak English and then ask for tip if you don't give - f. u!
Tip is for VERY good service and driving from a-b is part of the job. It's not an exceptional service nor can be so in my mind it is very stupid to tip these so called taxi drivers.
Feb 11, 2018
443 posts
298 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 4:37 pm
Did you say anything to him about it?
I was new, he had been there for like 20+ years and the boss liked him a lot. So no, there was nothing to say to anyone and nothing I could do. OTOH, I have never done anything to anyone's food.