• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 12:19 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2004
881 posts
32 upvotes

Tipping Groomer?

I just had my dog groomed at a new shop. When I paid by debit, I got the ubiquitous tip prompt screen. I left a 15% tip. It got me thinking... and I regretted doing it. I figured I'd post here and hopefully get an interesting debate going.

As a former waiter, I am a good tipper in restaurants: 18% is typically the minimum, and it goes up from there for exceptional service. I tip taxi drivers, the guy who cuts my hair, the porter who lugs my bags at the airport, etc. I do not tip for take out/fast food,

The regret for the groomer tip is because I have no idea who actually took care of my dog. I dropped her off at her appointed time, left for a couple hours and came back to pick her up. The place I use has 4 or 5 stations going full time. Any of those groomers could have been the one to clean up my dog. Why am I tipping when I don't know who (if anyone!) is going to see the money? What behaviour is my tip reinforcing? Will any particular groomer remember me or my dog when I come back? Will I get better service in the future for my tip? I think if I used an independent shop, and had a relationship with the specific groomer who did my dog, I might feel differently.

Asking myself all those questions, I have decided I won't follow the prompt next time and won't be leaving a tip. Anyone else have any thoughts on tipping their groomer... or more accurately, tipping the shop owner?
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4306 posts
194 upvotes
My groomer works in a vet clinic. I give her a $25 GC every second time I get my dogs groomed. I love the work she dogs, so I want to tip her.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1457 posts
271 upvotes
Windsor
Password wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 5:26 pm
Why am I tipping when I don't know who (if anyone!) is going to see the money? What behaviour is my tip reinforcing? Will any particular groomer remember me or my dog when I come back? Will I get better service in the future for my tip? I think if I used an independent shop, and had a relationship with the specific groomer who did my dog, I might feel differently.

Asking myself all those questions, I have decided I won't follow the prompt next time and won't be leaving a tip. Anyone else have any thoughts on tipping their groomer... or more accurately, tipping the shop owner?
Tips are probably evenly split among everyone; a line item on their cheque every two weeks. Your tip is enforcing absolutely nothing, much like at a restaurant. As well, it's very unlikely they will remember you unless you go there VERY often for some reason. You will almost definitely not get better service if you tip; if you do for some reason, that would be as sure a sign as any to never go back.

I'd never tip a groomer unless it was for a show-dog.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
1655 posts
600 upvotes
I usually tip $5 for grooming for the same lady I had in Petsmart, Cash, direct to her.