None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2822 posts
51 upvotes
Markham

tipping for no service?

i do the 10% standard tipping everytime in a standard restaurant.

but now here's the situation.
(im refering to the restaurant in my "lamb kabob" thread). this place offers very very little service.

note the restaurant is a bit shady. i do not recommend going there for dining, but they make good homemade style dishes (authentic).

long story short, there is minimal communication and hospitality. they do not even try to service their customers in any other way than bringing hte food to the table.

i want to tip in fear they may be offended. but if i do, i will feel ripped off because i have no idea what service im tipping for [unless you guys believe tipping is not an option, its just a hidden fee]

that said, should i tip? would you tip?
82 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1440 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Well I tip if the service is "reasonable" but if they neglect me or don't show and kindness they will NOT get a tip, perhaps a verbal piece of my mind but no $$$.

Tipping is regarded as showing gratuity towards a server when they have exceeded their standard duties and if the server does this, then Yes, a tip they shall receive.
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
1 upvote
'K™B.
dude, don't tip.

cuz if they had more customers that didn't tip, maybe one day their service would start to improve.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
559 upvotes
just wondering what kind of service are you expecting in a chinese restaurant???? they take your order, bring you your food, refill the tea/teapot and give you check. they are not going to ask you how's everything or i hope ur enjoying ur meal kinda thing

most chinese places i usually tip 10% or a bit more since like i said, all they do is take my order, bring me food, clear dishes and bring bill.

and i hope you leave more than 10% at other non chinese restaurants like at "canadian" places or other types of restaurants its around 15%-20% (or $3-$5 per person whichever leads to more i give that) or more depending on how nice the server was (e.g. at mandarin i would leave 5bux tip per head at table).

for regular restaurant meal with normal service it is 15% minimum
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
trueno92 wrote:dude, don't tip.

cuz if they had more customers that didn't tip, maybe one day their service would start to improve.

ha.true.

i tip generously... a little beyond the 10%...they say you are suppost to tip on average 10% before tax. i tip after tax and round up...who wants to carry change.
although, i dont tip too much if i dont like the service...the waiter still has to make a living, but i just complain to the manager
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Ah, here we go again with another tipping thread. No, not crapping on the thread. I'm just curious how fast it'll turn into a flame war as it happens everytime that people argue on how to tip. :cheesygri

For me, bad service, little to no tip. I tip roughly 12-15% after tax, depending on my satisfaction with the service
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2855 posts
424 upvotes
i dont think 10% is the standard tip anymore. it's now 15%.
Jun 3, 2004
784 posts
133 upvotes
MTL
Here's my policy: If there's no service, or if the service is just lousy, I don't tip.

In such cases, the only tip they'll get from me is a verbal one: You better shape up!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
3976 posts
16 upvotes
ha! at least, they gave you your food.
i remember in Chinatown, a chinese restaurant expected me to pay them tips EVEN though they ignored my order (despite getting everyone else's orders). the food wasn't even that great. I was so pissed off that night. Everyone else that came with me, got their food. except me and they expect a tip. they wouldn't even let us leave unless we give them a little more tip. so i gave them an extra dime.

I even had to share a plate with my friend.
Jul 30, 2004
664 posts
when i dont tip, i feel paranoid that the next few days the guy is gonna come and find me, and burn my house down... but yea dont tip, i'm still alive, so nothing bad should happen
Nov 21, 2004
761 posts
1 upvote
leave a penny.

or next time to put a stack of 20's on the table, tell your waiter this is your tips. every mistake you make, one bill disappears. see what happens :D
Banned
Apr 17, 2002
501 posts
No one tips me at work. Nor do I tip my dentist/doctor/plumber/accountant.

Also, no tips at McDonalds, KFC, pizza hut etc. So you can't say its min wage so you have to feel sorry for them.

Do you tip the 7-11 guy when you pick up a slurpie?

tipping is rediculous, and if I don't plan on returning, I don't tip at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
chinaboy1021 wrote:i do the 10% standard tipping everytime in a standard restaurant.

but now here's the situation.
(im refering to the restaurant in my "lamb kabob" thread). this place offers very very little service.

note the restaurant is a bit shady. i do not recommend going there for dining, but they make good homemade style dishes (authentic).

long story short, there is minimal communication and hospitality. they do not even try to service their customers in any other way than bringing hte food to the table.

i want to tip in fear they may be offended. but if i do, i will feel ripped off because i have no idea what service im tipping for [unless you guys believe tipping is not an option, its just a hidden fee]

that said, should i tip? would you tip?
U like that restaurant? Do u enjoy going back there some day? And do u also enjoy having the peace of mind that they wont tamper with the dish :O

Thus you should tip.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
559 upvotes
benf wrote:No one tips me at work. Nor do I tip my dentist/doctor/plumber/accountant.

Also, no tips at McDonalds, KFC, pizza hut etc. So you can't say its min wage so you have to feel sorry for them.

Do you tip the 7-11 guy when you pick up a slurpie?

tipping is rediculous, and if I don't plan on returning, I don't tip at all.
tipping is not rediculous, but you being a complete jerk and jacka$$ is though. Karma always comes back to kick you in the butt though so its all good.