• Dec 23rd, 2008 8:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
589 posts
8 upvotes

Tips For 46''-52'' LCD Buying.

Please Post Tips for What to Look before buying.
There was a topic to lookout for original Panels S or C for Samsungs,have lost the thread ,to buy HD Cables with package or not ,how good is Blue Ray going out for 99 at BB with the LCD.? :confused:

Samsung 120HZ will be coming down or to go 60HZ
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2430 posts
49 upvotes
Here are some general tips:

If you watch a lot of fast action movies or sports 120HZ is nice to have as it helps reduce motion blur. Based on some reviews, the higher end Samsung with 120Hz have pretty much eliminated motion blur on LCD. There will be some people who argue that having 120HZ is not really required but I would recommend it just to make sure you are happy with your product.

Do not buy HD cables from FS/BB as they are overpriced. Head over to Monoprice to pick up your cable needs.

It depends on the TV you are getting. I would really only recommend getting a blu ray player if your TV can do 1080p. Otherwise you will not be getting the full effect of blu ray movies. Though at that price, you can't go wrong with it.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2007
589 posts
8 upvotes
How about extended warranty for 370 being offered by FS on Samsung TV ,is it worth taking..?
Feb 12, 2006
656 posts
63 upvotes
chachu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:00 am
How about extended warranty for 370 being offered by FS on Samsung TV ,is it worth taking..?
I always use my credit card for all purchases. CC will extend the warranty by another year on most products that carry 1 or more years of warranty. Products with less than one years, CC will double the warranty.
Nov 24, 2008
138 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington
chachu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:00 am
IMO i wouldn't take it just because that's just wayy to overly expensive for an extended warranty. That's like purchasing an extended warranty for a 360 for say 1 or 2 years and eventually when you get the red ring of light, what they just do is they send it to Microsoft for free so you don't have to worry about shipping. And at the end your left puzzled by the fact you spent over $50 on a extended warranty that's just wasted down the drain.

:confused:
Nov 24, 2002
85 posts
2 upvotes
Maple
Re 120Mhz : Isn't the motion blur thing for sports misleading? I was told Rogers (for example) broadcast no better than 60Mhz.
Feb 16, 2006
892 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Clue17 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:24 am
IMO i wouldn't take it just because that's just wayy to overly expensive for an extended warranty. That's like purchasing an extended warranty for a 360 for say 1 or 2 years and eventually when you get the red ring of light, what they just do is they send it to Microsoft for free so you don't have to worry about shipping. And at the end your left puzzled by the fact you spent over $50 on a extended warranty that's just wasted down the drain.

:confused:
I disagree about the warranty.
If you want to be smart about it, walk into the store and tell the salesperson you want a good deal on the TV and tell them straight away that you are getting the extended warranty (they make a commission on it) and they will be MUCH more flexible on the price and they drop the price much MUCH more.

and then what happens if your TV screws up in 4 years? I bought a laptop from FS and bought the 3 year warranty - best decision EVER! my mother board fried after the 2nd year and it was like a $650 repair (didnt pay a penny). then the frame of the laptop cracked - they fixed that too for free. So yeah, i paid $300 for my warranty, but it was VERY usefeul.

If your going to buy a 1500 TV set - its a wise choice to get that $300 warranty (for 4 years i think its $320).

Good luck.
Apr 4, 2007
44 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If an LCD tv goes it's gonna go in the first year, extended warranty is a waste of money.
Sep 2, 2008
286 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
GDood wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:50 am
If an LCD tv goes it's gonna go in the first year, extended warranty is a waste of money.
the extended amount of research conducted by you regarding lcd failure in the first 365 days of inception is worthy of an encyclopedia
[/sarcasm]

just my 2 cents regarding 120/60:
the human eye is supposed to be able to discern motion after 24 frames per second. after 60, few people can tell the difference.
for example pc games will be the same 'smoothness' to the eye at 60 as they are at 120. im not sure but i think very few people can tell the difference.

60hz=1/60s refresh, which is the same as 60 fps. as stated before, you have to look at bottlenecks:if your provider only gives 60hz then 120 will do nothing. theres no 'upscaling'.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1310 posts
33 upvotes
cyrusmir wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 11:14 am
just my 2 cents regarding 120/60:
the human eye is supposed to be able to discern motion after 24 frames per second. after 60, few people can tell the difference.
for example pc games will be the same 'smoothness' to the eye at 60 as they are at 120. im not sure but i think very few people can tell the difference.

60hz=1/60s refresh, which is the same as 60 fps. as stated before, you have to look at bottlenecks:if your provider only gives 60hz then 120 will do nothing. theres no 'upscaling'.
There's more to 120hz than just the refresh rate.

60hz TVs are forced to do 3:2 pulldown on 24fps movies, resulting in what can look like jerky motion. 120hz TVs can avoid having to do this (since 120 is evenly divisible by 24, 30 and 60), and on top of that, they can interpolate frames in between, resulting in a much smoother looking image.
Oct 16, 2005
228 posts
2 upvotes
chachu wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 11:06 am
Please Post Tips for What to Look before buying.
There was a topic to lookout for original Panels S or C for Samsungs,have lost the thread ,to buy HD Cables with package or not ,how good is Blue Ray going out for 99 at BB with the LCD.? :confused:

Samsung 120HZ will be coming down or to go 60HZ
What about the samsung panels?, i jus bought a 50 inch
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5184 posts
1085 upvotes
Brampton
GDood wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:50 am

+1

i heard that from a Researcher in lCD field as well ... i dont buy warranty for any LCD products ..

I bought warranty during CRT days
Apr 14, 2004
308 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I also am looking at buying the same size LCD tv this year. Can you guys please tell me:
1. How do burned dvds look on this size of tv?
2. What brand of lcd tv is the best?
May 25, 2006
262 posts
sandman804 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 1:27 pm
I also am looking at buying the same size LCD tv this year. Can you guys please tell me:
1. I think you would need a dvd player that can upvert to 1080p to see the full HD.

2. best brand of LCD are Samsung or Sony.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5184 posts
1085 upvotes
Brampton
sandman804 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 1:27 pm
1. Depends on the source ur burning .. i watch dvd-ripped movies in my PC netoworked via PS3 and to my Bravia 40". the quality is good ..