Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2008
139 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington
a_souljah wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:44 am
and then what happens if your TV screws up in 4years?
Exactly why you should consider buying LCD rather than Plasma. Plus also with plasma, you don't have that risk of a "Burn In".
With LCD you don't have that risk, and your longevity is much longer(depending of course how many hours you watch/game with your TV)

I have a theory towards LCD TV's.
Let's say watching TV was your full time day job and you watch it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. And an average LCD TV set lasts 60,000 hours, so at the end you would only achieve 7 years of watching

On the other hand you have a job/life/family and you watch 8 hours/day or less, you can extend the lifespan of your LCD TV set by almost a decade or more(to maybe about 20 years)

;)
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2468 posts
84 upvotes
chachu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:00 am
How about extended warranty for 370 being offered by FS on Samsung TV ,is it worth taking..?
Use a Credit Card and don't really bother with them.
maycm wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:41 am
Re 120Mhz : Isn't the motion blur thing for sports misleading? I was told Rogers (for example) broadcast no better than 60Mhz.
No. You will notice motion blur on FAST PACED sports which is pretty much every sport except golf. You might see some when they whip their club real fast. I don't own a LCD but some people said Hockey is less than impressive on a LCD TV.
a_souljah wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:44 am
I disagree about the warranty.
If you want to be smart about it, walk into the store and tell the salesperson you want a good deal on the TV and tell them straight away that you are getting the extended warranty (they make a commission on it) and they will be MUCH more flexible on the price and they drop the price much MUCH more. Currently, the only flaw in Plasma is the power consumption but again if you are not leaving the TV days on end, you will not notice too much of a hike in your energy bill.

and then what happens if your TV screws up in 4 years? I bought a laptop from FS and bought the 3 year warranty - best decision EVER! my mother board fried after the 2nd year and it was like a $650 repair (didnt pay a penny). then the frame of the laptop cracked - they fixed that too for free. So yeah, i paid $300 for my warranty, but it was VERY usefeul.

If your going to buy a 1500 TV set - its a wise choice to get that $300 warranty (for 4 years i think its $320).

Good luck.
Some companies have 2 year warranty like Samsung and if you use your credit card, they will extend it one more year. You are at least covered for the first three years. All FS is giving you is an extra year but after that, you are toast. These days, unless you are very unlucky, failure rates on TVs are low.
Clue17 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 8:42 pm
Exactly why you should consider buying LCD rather than Plasma. Plus also with plasma, you don't have that risk of a "Burn In".
With LCD you don't have that risk, and your longevity is much longer(depending of course how many hours you watch/game with your TV)

Let's say watching TV was your full time day job and you watch it 24 hours a day 7 days a week. And an average LCD TV set lasts 60,000 hours, so at the end you would only achieve 7 years of watching

On the other hand you have a job/life/family and you watch 8 hours/day or less, you can extend the lifespan of your LCD TV set by almost a decade or more(to maybe about 20 years)

;)
You are stating many myths based on the comparison between Plasma and LCD. These days, the panel life on plasmas are approaching if not matching the panel life on LCD. Burn in is no longer an issue as long as you do some breaking in of the TV, TVs come equipped with anti burn in protection and not putting on static images for days on end. As long as you do those things, burn in isn't going to happen on a Plasma. Currently, the only disadvantage of a plasma is energy consumption. Though as long as you don't leave your TV days on end, you will not notice much difference in your energy bill.
Feb 16, 2006
903 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Clue17 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 8:42 pm

;)
see, my issue was with my dad - he's turn the tv on - watches hald an hour of the news or so...and then falls asleep - and the TV remains on all night - this happens pretty much daily.
And that's not all - my dad is retired and he's the kind of guy that likes noise...so watching TV or not - it's on. Even when he's not in the room - the TV is on. so the TV's in my house are generaly on for ide say 15 hours a day. Even with the math, thats still like 11 years or so.

In the end, i got such a sick deal on my TV with the 4 year warranty - it would have cost me pretty much the same without it.
Feb 16, 2006
903 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
danman227460 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 9:01 pm
Some companies have 2 year warranty like Samsung and if you use your credit card, they will extend it one more year. You are at least covered for the first three years. All FS is giving you is an extra year but after that, you are toast. These days, unless you are very unlucky, failure rates on TVs are low.
I don't know much about company warranties - but with FS, i deal with them directly - don't have to deal with the manufacturer. Dealing with FS has been pretty smooth with me - never had issues with warranty claims or anything of that sort.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2468 posts
84 upvotes
a_souljah wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 12:13 am
I don't know much about company warranties - but with FS, i deal with them directly - don't have to deal with the manufacturer. Dealing with FS has been pretty smooth with me - never had issues with warranty claims or anything of that sort.
Each to their own. I have read where some people have had issues with BB/FS while some don't. Same goes with company warranties. It all depends on how they decide to handle it. Really no one is safe or fully covered with BB/FS warranty or a companies.
Feb 16, 2006
903 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
danman227460 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 12:40 am
Each to their own. I have read where some people have had issues with BB/FS while some don't. Same goes with company warranties. It all depends on how they decide to handle it. Really no one is safe or fully covered with BB/FS warranty or a companies.
I've heard the horror stories too - I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Still, this was my first LCD purchase - I wanted to be protected for the 4 years - atleast now, if anything happens, im fully covered.
Feb 16, 2006
903 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
chachu wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 11:06 am
Samsung 120HZ will be coming down or to go 60HZ
That is a personal preference. I have a 46" Sharp with 60hz and I was playing Xbox360 on it last night and I noticed no lag.
I watched a little bit of the bourne ultimatum (I just skipped to the action scenes) - no lag. I noticed nothing in comparison to my CRT.

The sales guy told me I would notice lag in quick scenes or action movies or if i was playing video games but I knew the TV was for watching TV only so i didnt bother. But i still tried my Xbox just to see if i would notice anything. I didn't.
Mar 11, 2007
234 posts
34 upvotes
A month ago an economist on CTV mentioned flat panel TVs to become 30-40% less in price. With the economy spiraling as it is people will not be able to afford such high priced electronics. I wouldn't be surprised to see flat panel TVs to go even lower in value. May be worth to wait a month or so to buy newer model TVs for slightly more money than the deals available on Boxing day.
Jan 22, 2008
64 posts
Hi everyone..

I am going to buy a LCD TV on boxing day ..
I think the best LCD brand should be samsung, sony or sharp .. but which exact model should i go for ?? like the most valuable one ?? any idea ..

thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2461 posts
394 upvotes
Mayoo wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 1:09 pm
+1

i heard that from a Researcher in lCD field as well ... i dont buy warranty for any LCD products ..

I bought warranty during CRT days
Plus buy on your credit card and you often get an additional year of coverage.