Careers

Tips for applying to ontario public service job?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2010 10:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes

Tips for applying to ontario public service job?

I'm applying for an administration job with OPS which is relatively low in requirements. I have a post secondary degree which is a bit technical and not related to this job. A couple people have told me not to put this degree down because they won't want to hire "overqualified" people. I disagree with this but neither of us have any real knowledge about OPS hiring practices. In my opinion its just stupid to leave out any qualification...its not like its a Doctorate or something I'm putting there.

As well, any other tips on applying? What about reasons of why I want to apply for that job? My real reason is that I'm tired of my technical field and want to get a secure job with the gov't and then move around and find something I like but I don't think that sounds very good.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1185 posts
99 upvotes
I applied to an OPS position about a month ago, still no peep out of them, don't know really how long their entire process is.
Sep 19, 2009
6 posts
Barrie
Bump

I'd like to know this as well, I've applied to many MNR and MOE jobs in the past with no word from them. I find the job descriptions always really vague and generalized. About the only specific qualification they state is 'Driver's License'.
It's always ambiguous "knowledge of this and knowledge of that..."
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
I've applied to many OPS jobs mostly systems analyst and programmer analyst, etc and have not heard back. My guess is they get hundreds or even thousands of applications for these jobs so your chances of even getting an interview are very low unless you have a lot of experience in exactly what they're looking for.

I find the requirements very demanding. Any person who has actual industry experience in all of the skills and technologies they list here is probably not gonna work for less than $100k.
Qualifications: proven knowledge of, and skills in systems design, development, analysis methodologies, database design and technologies, web-based application development, communication protocols, and object oriented development; knowledge of system integration, regression, validation, performance and security testing; demonstrated knowledge of Oracle, Erwin, Visio, Crystal Reports, ASP, ASP.Net, VB, C#, SharePoint, Java Script, J2EE, Websphere, HTML, XML, MS SQL Server; proven research, analytical, evaluation, problem solving and decision making skills; strong written communication skills with proven ability to write technical specifications/documentation; proven team work skills to work as a member of a team and demonstrated organizational skills working in a demanding environment with frequently competing priorities.
Jun 2, 2007
471 posts
1 upvote
North York, Toronto,…
I had applied hundreds if them, I even worked as an ops employee part time before, but this doesn't seems to help
Jan 1, 2007
45 posts
3 upvotes
I applied to approx. 40-50 OPS positions and even with my great experience and education (one of the top 3 graduate schools in the world) I have never heard back from them. Never!

I can only guess that good connections are the only way. I personally know some relatively unexperienced people with so-so average skills & education getting a job there. Connections, of course...
Sep 4, 2007
611 posts
64 upvotes
Edmonton
1) Use a 2 page resume. Volume matters. Target the job specifically.

2) Look at the job description and job spec. Make sure you hit every single requirement in your cover letter.

3) Try to get the name of the director for the cover letter.

4) Demonstrate a passion for the job/sector/industry/ministry.

Sometimes they open positions for people who they already want to hire and go through the competition as due diligence.
Apr 22, 2005
435 posts
6 upvotes
Not sure if this qualifies as a tip but just hope you are at the right place at the right time.
I applied to a position which required and FIT my key technical skills to the proverbial 'T'
Of about 10 jobs I applied to, I only got this one call and got thru as well.
:twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
40 upvotes
be lazy - thats my tip for OPS jobs.
rems wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:00 pm
yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Nov 1, 2008
47 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 9:26 am
I'm applying for an administration job with OPS which is relatively low in requirements. I have a post secondary degree which is a bit technical and not related to this job. A couple people have told me not to put this degree down because they won't want to hire "overqualified" people. I disagree with this but neither of us have any real knowledge about OPS hiring practices. In my opinion its just stupid to leave out any qualification...its not like its a Doctorate or something I'm putting there.

As well, any other tips on applying? What about reasons of why I want to apply for that job? My real reason is that I'm tired of my technical field and want to get a secure job with the gov't and then move around and find something I like but I don't think that sounds very good.

Just try to highlight your skills as they relate to this job. With that said, like the other posters here, I applied to many OPS jobs and I only heard back from one (a real entry level position no one was interested in - part time, contract, basic requirements, etc.) and wrote a test and interviewed for it. I ended up getting a different job at the time so I withdrew from the competition. But I didn't leave my M.A. off my resume, so I suggest you keep your degree on yours.

Just like other posters have said, OPS really tends to be a "who you know" type of process. That's the only way I know people that got into decent positions.

With that said, I work for the federal government and I got in on the merit of my online application, didn't know a soul but by scoring well on tests and the interview I succeeded. It's a much fairer hiring process. You should really consider applying to them if a posting comes up that interests you.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1740 posts
112 upvotes
I've applied to a few but have never heard anything.

I also find their job descriptions/requirements to be really long and vague.

The salaries are very high, but I'm assuming that's because they don't pay bonuses??? Not sure if that's true or not.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2032 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I actually got a reply for a job about a month ago, probably 2 weeks after closing, but i couldn't make it to the testing day. They aren't flexible with that stuff. They had no alternative test date available.
Dec 4, 2004
217 posts
2 upvotes
Yeah that is what we need another government employee sucking on the teat of the private sector
Nov 8, 2007
382 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Years ago I had an interview for a studnet job and I was told I didn't use enough buzz words in my interview even though they could tell I had the skills to do a good job.

No buzz words meant my mark was 6/10 however I could have provided a ton of verbal spu and possibly gotten the job???
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
So, how hard is it to get a reply back from Ontario Public Service jobs? Are those jobs geared toward someone with 5+ years of work experience? Their job requirements are vague and demanding.
× < >