• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 1:01 pm
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
747 posts
194 upvotes

Tips on cleaning the dryer exhaust

Any tips on how to easily clean it? Here is the layout:

Basement, stacked washer and dryer. Cramped quarters. Behind the drywall soft exhaust tube. Permanently affixed exhaust vent on the outside.

It seems like my only option is to pull out the stacked set, detach the exhaust connection and try to get in there with a soft vacuum hose.

Any other thoughts?

How frequently should I be doing this?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3226 posts
766 upvotes
Oshawa
Move the dryer out. Disconnect the exhaust.

Grab a wire hanger ... bend it ... stick it in the exhaust and give it a twirl, etc.

Vacuum ...

Then on the outside of the house ... locate the vent ...

Use the wire hanger ... and repeat ... but no need for the vacuum since you are outside ...

If you have an air compressor ... even better ... just spray air from inside of the house and see if the crap will come out on the outside of the house ... make sure the vent covers on the outside are flipped upwards ....
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Dec 4, 2009
225 posts
143 upvotes
Waterdown
Also blow some air into the lint trap area (with the lint catcher removed). Lots of junk gets passed the screen and is stuck in the dryer cabinet. CT Sells lint brushes that are useful.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
747 posts
194 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:10 pm
Move the dryer out. Disconnect the exhaust.

Grab a wire hanger ... bend it ... stick it in the exhaust and give it a twirl, etc.
Thanks, although I would hesitate a bit with the coat hanger since it's the soft aluminum tube. I would be worried about breaking it and since it is behind the wall, that would be a big problem.

I like the brush suggested by batMan07
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1086 posts
114 upvotes
Mississauga
CoNtRaCtOr
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13721 posts
3137 upvotes
London
The first place to check is right where the vent exits outside. Some new vents have a screen to prevent animals/birds from getting inside. I've seen a few where lint has totally blocked the screen.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
747 posts
194 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:29 am
A piece of 1/4" screen should always be installed where the vent exits outside (in particular when it is located near the ground) in order to prevent mice/voles from entering there and making a nest. In that case the piece of screen needs to be clean AT LEAST twice a year. Preferably once per season. Much less painful than having to deal with a nest or dead rodents in the exhaust pipe.

I'm not adding any advice on cleaning as plenty has already been said apart from the fact I use a shop vac tightly attached to the outside vent while starting and stopping the dryer a few times to dislodge the crap.
Thanks. The screen was never installed and the vent cover -something like this is caulked in place.

I guess this is a mini project for next spring/summer. To clean and replace the cover with something that has a screen... And hope not to find any freeze-dried mice in the vent pipe.
Last edited by junkmail2002 on Jan 17th, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
747 posts
194 upvotes
Thanks and oops. Let's try this

[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
747 posts
194 upvotes
Thanks!