Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA

Tips for first time cell plan buyer

Hi,

I'm looking for advice as a first time cell plan buyer on how to leverage whatever advantage I have. I've never owned a cell phone of any kind before but I plan on getting the Google Nexus 4. I want a plan that is heavy on the data usage, ideally around 6 GB.

For example, is it better to negotiate in person, on the phone or online? Is there any advantage at all in being a first time buyer or does that actually put me at a disadvantage?

I currently have the following services with these providers: home phone - Bell, internet - Primus, cable - Rogers. For various reasons I am not interested in bundling any of these services. It would be adding a cell plan to one of them if anything.

It's hard to get a grasp on this market because while there seem to be so many carrier options, none seem to be far and away better than the rest and pricing doesn't seem to be all that competitive, and when it is you have to put up with sketchy service.

Thanks!
44 replies
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Bumping this old thread because I finally got a shipping notice for my Nexus 4 and I don't have a plan and still don't know where to start.

Please see original post... any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.
Dec 17, 2008
178 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
what you should have done was sign up with one of the carriers like fido/koodo/virgin when they were offering the $56 plan w/ Canada wide calling/txt and 2GB of data, especially when store were offering awesome deals like giftcards+cheap phone on tab. Gift cards + sold phone = profit. would have been a good start.

or you can try setting up the thunderbay plan thats floating around in Hot Deals $50 Canada wide + 6GB (with bell/virgin).

Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1922 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Try the unlimited data from wind or mobilicity.
Apr 3, 2006
620 posts
97 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 9:35 pm
Try the unlimited data from wind or mobilicity.
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 17th, 2013 9:06 pm
Bumping this old thread because I finally got a shipping notice for my Nexus 4 and I don't have a plan and still don't know where to start.

Please see original post... any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.
If you're a first time buyer don't sign any contracts. Try out Wind first and if it works for you, it's got the best deal going right now ($29 unlimited talk and data). If the reception doesn't work for you in your area, I'd try Mobilicity next or something like Chatr (Rogers no contract sub brand). Get a feel for how much voice and data you use in a month before going into any contracts.

I wish somebody gave me this advice before I signed up for a 3 year 6 GIG plan. Turns out I usually only use about 0.1 to 0.2 gigs of data a month, so I'm paying for data I really don't use.
Jul 23, 2012
120 posts
19 upvotes
Because you'll be a new cell phone user, it's hard to give the best advice since you don't know your average use of data/minutes/texts. Also, knowing your budget and if any feature is important to you (caller id, long distance, international sms, etc.) would also give a certain direction to any advice we can provide. But basically, not signing a 3 year contract is a first good step. Christmas promos were good but obviously now over so choose from what is available right now (I'd recommend Koodo or maybe Wind/Mobilicity if the coverage is good in your area) and when new promos come out, see if there's anything better.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1922 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Well, OP made a right choice to purchase Nexus 4. Which frees from looking into a new phones from carriers. If indeed you want to sign 2~3 year contract, look into carriers that gives discount for bring your own phone. Bell and Telus have 10% off I believe but like few mentioned already, I also do not recommend signing your life away to these companies. If you do go with big 3s and sign a contract, get iphone/samsung s3/samsung note 2 and sell it for $400~600.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Thanks everyone. Here's some more info that I should have included up front.

- I'm not looking to sign or takeover a contract. That's one of the reasons I chose the N4.

- Not interested in Wind or Mobilicity; have heard too many negative stories about reception; would rather pay extra for more for consistent service.

- In terms of usage... very, very light on texting and phone (I have a land line). I will 95% of the time be using data. That's why I want 6 GB. I'd like to pay $60 at most. That seems to be the average price point for my friends that have 6 GB plans.

I guess what I'm looking for is tips on negotiating. Primarily I want to know whether it's better to talk to someone in store or over the phone. And will it help at all to bring up my friends plans or will they just laugh in my face?

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20481 posts
1251 upvotes
Aurora
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 8:11 am
I guess what I'm looking for is tips on negotiating. Primarily I want to know whether it's better to talk to someone in store or over the phone. And will it help at all to bring up my friends plans or will they just laugh in my face?
I hate to say this, but the sad truth is you have no leverage.

I totally agree that Wind and Mobilicity is a terrible choice. The Nexus 4 doesn't support AWS either, don't know why anyone is recommending it.

Don't expect 6 Gig data, you can probably get lots of minutes and SMS.

Here is what I would do.

Don't be afraid of contracts. Go a store and sign a contract. Get an iPhone out of the deal and sell it brand new for $500 or whatever the going rate is. Tell them your requirements are lots of data and $60 monthly.

You will probably end up with a 1 Gig data plan and whatever minutes.

Wait 6 months and call back to renegotiate your plan to try and get more data. I doubt you will use a lot of data unless you're planning on tethering your phone.

To answer your original question, it is best to negotiate on the phone. This way, you talk to Rogers, Bell or Telus directly. At the store, you're basically talking to a franchise employee who has no real power to offer you anything.

If you really want a retention plan, the best way is to take over someone's existing plan. There is nothing wrong with that.

As for contracts, unless you plan on leaving the country for an extended period in the next three years, what's wrong with committing? A contract does not lock you into a plan, it locks you into a carrier, you can renegogiate your plan anytime.
May 18, 2007
486 posts
39 upvotes
I would suggest you to get Virgin Mobile $5 flex plan ($5 <= 10m, $15 <= 250m, $35 <= 5g), I think that is good enough for you. There was a promo $5 for unlimited data for the first 2 months, but not sure if it still exists or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
3620 posts
747 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 8:31 am
I hate to say this, but the sad truth is you have no leverage.

I totally agree that Wind and Mobilicity is a terrible choice. The Nexus 4 doesn't support AWS either, don't know why anyone is recommending it.

Don't expect 6 Gig data, you can probably get lots of minutes and SMS.

Here is what I would do.

Don't be afraid of contracts. Go a store and sign a contract. Get an iPhone out of the deal and sell it brand new for $500 or whatever the going rate is. Tell them your requirements are lots of data and $60 monthly.

You will probably end up with a 1 Gig data plan and whatever minutes.

Wait 6 months and call back to renegotiate your plan to try and get more data. I doubt you will use a lot of data unless you're planning on tethering your phone.

To answer your original question, it is best to negotiate on the phone. This way, you talk to Rogers, Bell or Telus directly. At the store, you're basically talking to a franchise employee who has no real power to offer you anything.

If you really want a retention plan, the best way is to take over someone's existing plan. There is nothing wrong with that.

As for contracts, unless you plan on leaving the country for an extended period in the next three years, what's wrong with committing? A contract does not lock you into a plan, it locks you into a carrier, you can renegogiate your plan anytime.
Nexus 4 has AWS. It works on Wind/Mobilicity.
And I would never recommend contracts.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 8:11 am
Thanks everyone. Here's some more info that I should have included up front.

- I'm not looking to sign or takeover a contract. That's one of the reasons I chose the N4.

- Not interested in Wind or Mobilicity; have heard too many negative stories about reception; would rather pay extra for more for consistent service.

- In terms of usage... very, very light on texting and phone (I have a land line). I will 95% of the time be using data. That's why I want 6 GB. I'd like to pay $60 at most. That seems to be the average price point for my friends that have 6 GB plans.

Thanks!

I was just gonna post, that those great retention plans don't hold there credits when trasnferring now. So ieven if seller says $30 with $50 credits you will be paying full $80 a month upon transfer ( credits don't transfer !!! )

Is you data gonna be data( files ) or just facebook, webpages, etc.... if just webpages, etc... why not look at speakout wirelss or petro canada mobility( both use rogers network ), or pc( presidence choice uses bell network ) mobile they have a option called unlimited web browsing which you can use up to 2 GB with for only $8-10 a month, so for a basic 200 minutes a month, voicemail, caller id and unlimited browsing for under $40 bets alot of plans out there for light usage......

As well remmeber most places have free wifi and majority of times peoepl are in it, so its cheaper to have a less data plan and use free wifi.

You will not be able to negotiate you plan, just be able to pick from a menu ( same offers ) for each provider, they don't care or match xyz's plan!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20481 posts
1251 upvotes
Aurora
iHateShaw wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 9:06 am
Nexus 4 has AWS. It works on Wind/Mobilicity.
And I would never recommend contracts.
I didn't know the Nexus supported AWS, I stand corrected

As for contracts, I don't know what the big deal is. It's not as if you plan to stop using a cell phone at one point.

If you consider the buyout of the contract, it should cover the subsidy that you received for your phone. Why pay full price for a phone up front?
× < >