Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1483 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

All you really want is mobile internet & lots of it. I would be more inclined to get a tablet instead of a phone, seeing how you're not going to use the phone for voice or text. If you still want cell phone service for those 2 calls/week, get Speakout. Either buy a Speakout phone or get a Rogers hand me down from 1 of your friends to use. If you know what you want, there is no point in going to a store front, just phone in your account activation or do it online.
https://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/data- ... lex-tablet

Still insist on keeping your Nexus 4, how about Speakout's value plan, 200 voice minutes & unlimited browsing for $30/month?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-c ... talk-rates
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20476 posts
1248 upvotes
Aurora
Mayoo wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 1:34 pm
Reception wise i found rogers on top for GTA and Bell Telus for Outskirts .... Like Caledan, Coubourg, past Ajax etc etc
None of that matters since he is in Ottawa
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1916 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 8:11 am
I guess what I'm looking for is tips on negotiating
You can't negotiate anything without signing. Example of negotiating recently for me was, I signed with Koodo, I called to cancel and got transferred to retention. They offered me 20% off on one of the plan. In the end, I refused and canceled anyway. Really, there is nothing to regotiate. They offer you something and if you like, you take it, or you just move on for example.

What you want to do is go find a plan you like and buy it. People here already mentioned few companies, pros and cons. If you don't want contract, stay away from big 3 like we all recommend. So that leaves Koodo, Virgin, Wind and Mobilicity. Koodo and Virgin have similiar $56 6GB plan and Wind and Mobilicity have similiar unlimited data for $40.
Oct 16, 2012
18 posts
1 upvote
I just ported my sons prepaid ROGERS to TELUS and got a decent plan as a new customer plus recieved a $400 port in credit! -

Plan starts at $55 every month and auto adjusts in case he goes over which will not happen much since he doesnt use voice much.

$55/month
Base: 250 min
Tier 1 ($70): 400 min
Tier 2 ($85): 600 min
Tier 3 ($100): Unlimited

100 Canadian Long distance minutes
Unlimited nights 6pm and weekends
Unlimited text/picture messaging
2GB Data
Caller ID, VOicemail 10, Call Waiting, Conference Calling
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
dealz123 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 4:57 pm
I just ported my sons prepaid ROGERS to TELUS and got a decent plan as a new customer plus recieved a $400 port in credit! -

Plan starts at $55 every month and auto adjusts in case he goes over which will not happen much since he doesnt use voice much.

$55/month
Base: 250 min
Tier 1 ($70): 400 min
Tier 2 ($85): 600 min
Tier 3 ($100): Unlimited

100 Canadian Long distance minutes
Unlimited nights 6pm and weekends
Unlimited text/picture messaging
2GB Data
Caller ID, VOicemail 10, Call Waiting, Conference Calling
Why would you not have just gone with something like the Koodo plan... I understand you got a port in credit... Still you are stuck with them for 3 years...
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 4:30 pm
Koodo and Virgin have similiar $56 6GB plan and Wind and Mobilicity have similiar unlimited data for $40.
Is that Koodo plan advertised anywhere though?

dealz123: Did they offer that to you right off the bat? I could probably live with 2 GB until I've built up enough loyalty to substantiate a transfer to retentions.

Thanks again everyone.
Oct 16, 2012
18 posts
1 upvote
shushwap wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 6:09 pm
Why would you not have just gone with something like the Koodo plan... I understand you got a port in credit... Still you are stuck with them for 3 years...
First of all because Telus would have a better network coverage, and I'm not stuck for 3 years. I can end the term any time I want and just pay off the remaining device balance, I picked up a free Samsung Galaxy Ace II x, so my max device balance is $250 and it's just going to go lower every month of use. And with the $400 port in credit, can't go wrong no matter what phone I chose.
Oct 16, 2012
18 posts
1 upvote
Yeah I got it right off the bat, a rep came in to my work place offering the deal and I jumped on it.
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 6:11 pm
Is that Koodo plan advertised anywhere though?

dealz123: Did they offer that to you right off the bat? I could probably live with 2 GB until I've built up enough loyalty to substantiate a transfer to retentions.

Thanks again everyone.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
dealz123 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2013 10:16 am
First of all because Telus would have a better network coverage.
I hate to burst your bubble... Koodo is owned by Telus and they use Telus towers
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
OP I think given the fact that you've never had a cell phone before you have a misunderstanding of the "market". You have no "leverage" in your position. And they don't negotiate with new customers, you pick from what is offered. Depending on where you are located, I believe you should give WIND a try. You would have to buy a $25 sim card which is non-refundable but maybe you can find a dealer store that will give it to you for cheaper.

As for the other networks... like someone said, you missed the 6GB frenzy so you'd have to settle for the 2GB plans for now. They still would not hold any negotiation with you in the near future because you are not on a contract with them.
© 2015
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
You're right, I don't understand the "market". That's why I started this thread.

So basically, if I don't sign a contract I'll never be able to negotiate a better than advertised price?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
Lets get back to Basics... What is that you want to do with the phone.... You say you need a min of 6 gig... Do you plan to stream allot of videos and what not...
There is no real need to give you any type of retention plan if you are not locked in to some sort of a contract...
You want Data have a look at wind or mobi... Check the coverage maps and see if they will work for you
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20476 posts
1248 upvotes
Aurora
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 19th, 2013 9:05 pm
So basically, if I don't sign a contract I'll never be able to negotiate a better than advertised price?
The better plans are called "retention" plans because they want to keep you as an existing customer. If you're on a month to month, you're a free agent and can go anytime, nothing to retain.

Keep in mind, they want you to spend an average of $50 per month, but that's basically the going rate now. Data is king, voice is dead.
shushwap wrote:
Jan 19th, 2013 9:19 pm
You want Data have a look at wind or mobi... Check the coverage maps and see if they will work for you
Unlike others here, I think Ollierfd is more concerned about reliability and willing to pay for it. He just wants the best deal and not have to pay $100 for it.

I totally agree, at this stage, you have to stick with the big 3 and just build your tenure. Get the $50 plan from any of the carriers, get a subsidised phone and sell it off. Divide that by 36 months and consider that your monthly discount for 3 years. When the new iPhone gets released, call in and ask for the 6 Gig plan, they usually offer 6 gig with the release of a new iPhone.
× < >