None
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Gee wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 2:51 am
Unlike others here, I think Ollierfd is more concerned about reliability and willing to pay for it. He just wants the best deal and not have to pay $100 for it.
Bingo! I also don't know why some people are questioning my need for 6 GB. That's my #1 requirement in an ideal world, although I now realize that I'll probably have to settle for less.

In any case, everyone's input is appreciated. I'll get on the phone with some providers tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Gee wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 8:31 am
Don't be afraid of contracts. Go a store and sign a contract. Get an iPhone out of the deal and sell it brand new for $500 or whatever the going rate is. Tell them your requirements are lots of data and $60 monthly.

You will probably end up with a 1 Gig data plan and whatever minutes.

Wait 6 months and call back to renegotiate your plan to try and get more data. I doubt you will use a lot of data unless you're planning on tethering your phone.
What leverage do I have if I'm under contract though? I'd have to pay a penalty to break it so couldn't they just call my bluff?
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 4:30 pm
You can't negotiate anything without signing. Example of negotiating recently for me was, I signed with Koodo, I called to cancel and got transferred to retention. They offered me 20% off on one of the plan. In the end, I refused and canceled anyway. Really, there is nothing to regotiate. They offer you something and if you like, you take it, or you just move on for example.
How long had you been with Koodo when you cancelled? By "sign" you don't mean a contract do you? Just sign up for their service?
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
shushwap wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 6:03 pm
If you have to have a 6 gig plan... Then look to take over someones contract
Yeah, I should probably at least consider this option. What does the process of taking over someone's contract entail?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2359 posts
284 upvotes
Joliette
If you're in Manitoba or Saskatchewan then Telus offers a plan with 5GB of data, unlimited texting, call display and voicemail, and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $60/mth. Otherwise your best bet if to take the least offensive off the shelf plan and negotiate after about 3 month when retentions will give you the time of day. Telus offers a $100 activation credit for unlocked phones and Bell & Virgin (with their combo plans) offers 10% off any of their in-market plans when using an unlocked phone. Right now the big 3 providers has plans with 5gb but they start at around $95/$100 a month which is hardly cheap, a cheaper suggestions as a stop gap is maybe getting the $30 Fido promo plan with 200 Canada-wide minute promo plan with Call Display and Voice Mail and Unlimited texts and add 2gb for $25 a month and negotiate a better plan when you've been with them for awhile.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
wrdeal24 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 7:46 pm
If you're in Manitoba or Saskatchewan then Telus offers a plan with 5GB of data, unlimited texting, call display and voicemail, and unlimited Canada-wide minutes for $60/mth. Otherwise your best bet if to take the least offensive off the shelf plan and negotiate after about 3 month when retentions will give you the time of day. Telus offers a $100 activation credit for unlocked phones and Bell & Virgin (with their combo plans) offers 10% off any of their in-market plans when using an unlocked phone. Right now the big 3 providers has plans with 5gb but they start at around $95/$100 a month which is hardly cheap, a cheaper suggestions as a stop gap is maybe getting the $30 Fido promo plan with 200 Canada-wide minute promo plan with Call Display and Voice Mail and Unlimited texts and add 2gb for $25 a month and negotiate a better plan when you've been with them for awhile.
I just checked the Telus site on the Saskatchewan region and can't believe what I see! I wish it were that easy! :)

Anyone think I have any chance of convincing Koodo to give me the 2 GB plan I just missed out on?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2359 posts
284 upvotes
Joliette
Well you could give it a try, Koodo, Virgin and Fido all had the same plan so you could give them a try them but I'd say they more than likely will only offer the current $60/1gb version. They can offer expired plans but they tend to only do it for existing customers talking to retentions. Been pointed out before that Koodo and Virgin hhave their data saver plans with 3gb for $30 + any voice plan but neither have been known for their exciting retention offers. The problem is no provider provides exciting plans for new customers unless there's a promo going on like last summer where Koodo had their 250 Canada-Wide minutes, unlimited incoming, 5pm evenings, texting, call display and voice mail for $60 (what i'm on right now) maybe they'll bring it back at some point. You might also have luck getting it on retentions after a few months *shrug*.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3119 posts
322 upvotes
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 10:48 pm
I just checked the Telus site on the Saskatchewan region and can't believe what I see! I wish it were that easy! :)

Anyone think I have any chance of convincing Koodo to give me the 2 GB plan I just missed out on?
No chance !!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1932 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
ollierfd wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 5:30 pm
What leverage do I have if I'm under contract though? I'd have to pay a penalty to break it so couldn't they just call my bluff?
Really, isn't bluffing part of negociation? Always have backup plan and get rdy to say, 'ops i have to think about that' and hang up quick if things aren't going your way.

Koodo like any other company value their business and do offer better if you call in to cancel. I had service with them for a week before cancelling.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
shushwap wrote:
Jan 21st, 2013 11:44 pm
No chance !!!!
Ha, ha, well I had to try. "I'm sorry sir, that plan is no longer in the system." It felt like I was talking to a robot. A nice robot, but a robot.

I recall Telus offering $100 in credit when you brought your own phone to their network. Anyone know how oftern that offer comes around?

Are there any promotion seasons other than Christmas time?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2359 posts
284 upvotes
Joliette
Hmm if the $100 credit is gone now it's probably not coming back anytime soon since they had it available for 6 months before now. As for promos, usually the best are during the summer.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
I went into a Telus store today and was told the $100 credit is still in their system. I might go with this. I can just think of it as $20 off my bill for the first 5 months and hope by that time there's a better offer to take advantage of, or hopefully be in a position to negotiate.

BTW, got my phone this week, only using it over WiFi for now but it's very cool! It's my first real experience with Android and I am loving it.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
OTTAWA
Update: So I went with Telus as indicated above. My plan was $35 voice + $60 data (6 GB) = $95 / month, plus the $100 credit.

I noticed Koodo's new pricing this week and after crunching the numbers and monitoring my usage over the past 2 months it made more sense to go with one of their plans. I called Telus to let them know my intention. After a few minutes talking to front line support I was transferred to "loyalty" and was offered $30 off my data and a 10% discount overall discount! So that puts my bill at $58.50 / month.

Anyway, hopefully this information will be useful to someone else in my original predicament. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16010 posts
1413 upvotes
ollierfd wrote:
Mar 29th, 2013 11:43 am
Update: So I went with Telus as indicated above. My plan was $35 voice + $60 data (6 GB) = $95 / month, plus the $100 credit.

I noticed Koodo's new pricing this week and after crunching the numbers and monitoring my usage over the past 2 months it made more sense to go with one of their plans. I called Telus to let them know my intention. After a few minutes talking to front line support I was transferred to "loyalty" and was offered $30 off my data and a 10% discount overall discount! So that puts my bill at $58.50 / month.

Anyway, hopefully this information will be useful to someone else in my original predicament. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

that original plan was way too much, 60 addon for 6gb? it should have been 30bucks max a month! you should have tried to get a retentions plan off someone via kijiji like i did, i have the rogers 6gb super plan, paying around 45/month all in
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
× < >