Travel

Tips for first time in LA and cheap eats?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 8:46 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore

Tips for first time in LA and cheap eats?

I'm going to be heading to Los Angeles for the first time. I'm only going to be there for a couple of days. I intend to take only public transit. Can I buy the transit card at LAX? Is there a 2 or 3 day all day pass? How should I do this even though LA is not exactly transit friendly. I'll be staying at a hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. I think I should take one of those LA Flyaway buses to my hotel from LAX? What are some of your favourite restaurants in LA?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Ducky wrote: for fast food...in-n-out burger...
Is it really that good?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10528 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: Is it really that good?
It's good - for fast food. I find that many people I have talked to who try it, after hearing all the hype, are disappointed because they think it's the best burger they will ever have. It's just fast food and that's not fair to compare it to a higher end burger. It's great for fast food and great to try because of that.

As for what to do with transit - it really depends what you want to do. We have done a trip before, which was based out of Santa Monica, strictly by public transit. The only exception was a trip to an outlet mall and drive around the interior. You have transit, ride sharing, etc. and for many attractions that's enough.

What do you plan to do in LA? That will be what tells you whether public transit is enough. I know they have expanded it (the train goes to Santa Monica for example), and while it's a car city, it's still possible to do much by public transit.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
Big question since LA is such a big city with so many options.

Our friends in LA introduced us to Mendocino Farms. It is a casual dining chain with several locations in LA. Great food, priced reasonably and we loved it.

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/menus/

If you are in Burbank Porto's bakery is a local institution with Cuban baked goods and sandwiches. Would love to go back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6485 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
Sgt_Strider wrote: Is it really that good?
it is good for a fast food burger... especially the cheap price... just make sure you animal your burger... still free i think
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: for fast food...in-n-out burger...
Not that good. It's over hyped. Harvey's is better, especially the pickles.
Apr 26, 2019
350 posts
492 upvotes
GTA
Some cheap foods in LA that I enjoyed:
1. Dirt Dog (hot dogs with insane toppings)
2. Philippe The Original (French sandwiches)
3. Leo's Tacos Truck (get the one they make on the roast outside the truck if you eat pork)

Getting around in Los Angeles without a car will prove to be difficult since tourist hotspots are so spread out.
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
rent a car would be my advice. I've been there twice and it's very spread out, also plan to be stuck in traffic for 1-2 hours. Everyone says it only takes half an hour to get somewhere when it's usually closer to 1.5-2 hours.

Cheap food is everywhere, depends on what your taste is... there's a huge korean, japanese and chinese both mainland and taiwanese population if you like those eats. Going into the depths of koreatown or chinatown in monterey park, (not downtown chinatown) will get you good food for the most part. I can't name you anything though as both times I've gone I was taken around to various places. Real mexican food is everywhere, fresh churros on the beach. Probably best to hit up the usual places like trip advisor or check out some youtube travel channels to see what's out there. For only a few days you probably should go with something loosely in mind.

Real korean bbq is much better than most of the places I've had in toronto which are mainly chinese run with things adjusted for taste... everything is sweeter in toronto for some reason.

I wasn't really impressed with the restaurants I tried in the downtown area, but we stayed out in alahambra and pasadena.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Pacific Dining Car. You wont regret the experience,
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
LA is much more transit friendly now compared to ten years ago. I was recently there for a week and didn't have any problems getting around. I supplemented that with Uber. I even took transit to Anaheim for an Angels game.

Download the LA Metrolink app. On the app you can buy a ticket for the airport bus to LA Union Station for about $10. The fare also includes transit on the LA metro to your final destination. Buy the LA metro card, TAP, before your next trip on the metro. It's available for purchase at kiosks in stations.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1352 posts
689 upvotes
Cough wrote: Pacific Dining Car. You wont regret the experience,
Outstanding, old school dining room, but definitely not "cheap eats" as requested by the OP!

If you're into it, the Museum of Tolerance is an unforgettable experience.
Mar 22, 2013
8 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I was in LA last fall. I agree with what batcave said in that the Transit isn't too bad. I would generally say that the parts of the city are either great or terrible for public transit. I was able to easily take trains from Downtown to Santa Monica (and then walk the beach to Venice) and Hollywood (the stations there are nice). I was able to take the train plus a bus to the Observatory and to LACMA.

For cheap eats downtown I found that the best option was Grand Central Market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)