• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2012 10:26 am
Tags:
None
Sep 13, 2011
865 posts
91 upvotes

tips on getting over an car accident?

i totaled my car in an accident and i cant stop thinking about it. i literally think about every minute and i think I'm going into a depression. i keep on getting flash-backs and thinking about what went wrong....
I'm being told the car is most likely going to be a write-off by the tow truck driver and collision center. this is my 2nd at-fault accident, ill be lucky if i will get coverage after this. i was already paying 400$ plus a month with Belair. i cant be taking transit cause my job is all over the place.

I'm only 20 and i worked really hard for that car. i'm tired of people saying the important thing is "your not hurt", it's easy for them to say cause they not in my shoes. the first thing i thought about after the accident was if the other person was okay and how financially screwed i will be. in a way i kind of wish i got injured to take my mind off how screwed of i am. i even went to the gym try to take my mind off of it, didn't work. cant talk to my parents cause they pissed as hell, and all they say is how screwed i am.

really need some advice, what do i do? you think insurance will still give me coverage?
25 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
16437 posts
2155 upvotes
Thornhill
First of all, get used to public transit. A nice pair of sound isolating headphones would be a good idea. Depending on where you live, you may have one or more different options for bus routes, make sure you know where to get off, transfers can get really confusing if you're not used to it.

You'll still be young (kinda) by the time the at-fault will be off your record, thats 2192 days away, start the countdown! On the plus side, you'll have more money (instead of paying for insurance/maintenance/payments) to spend!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15798 posts
2462 upvotes
Toronto
2nd at fault will most likely put you into the high risk category, esp given you are so young. Worst case scenario, your renewal will not be offered by your current insurer and you will have to go thru brokerage and if lucky, one will provide at possibly $8K or more a year.

If you cannot afford this kind of insurance premium and you already indicated public transportation is not possible, then you may have to change job to reflect your situation. Sorry to say.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2521 posts
152 upvotes
gotrice wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:16 pm
i totaled my car in an accident and i cant stop thinking about it. i literally think about every minute and i think I'm going into a depression. i keep on getting flash-backs and thinking about what went wrong....
I'm being told the car is most likely going to be a write-off by the tow truck driver and collision center. this is my 2nd at-fault accident, ill be lucky if i will get coverage after this. i was already paying 400$ plus a month with Belair. i cant be taking transit cause my job is all over the place.

I'm only 20 and i worked really hard for that car. i'm tired of people saying the important thing is "your not hurt", it's easy for them to say cause they not in my shoes. the first thing i thought about after the accident was if the other person was okay and how financially screwed i will be. in a way i kind of wish i got injured to take my mind off how screwed of i am. i even went to the gym try to take my mind off of it, didn't work. cant talk to my parents cause they pissed as hell, and all they say is how screwed i am.

really need some advice, what do i do? you think insurance will still give me coverage?
I think Belair may still cover you. Where do you live? I think if you're paying 400 now you could be paying 600 a month once the conviction goes through. I don't think you can get a better rate than belair.
You just need to stop thinking about it period. Of course it's depressing but do you have the money to get a used car and pay $600/month for insurance?

When did your previous accident occur?
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7475 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Well what exactly happened in the accident? Why did it happen? Why is it your fault? Maybe you should consider taking some advance driving training where they actually teach you how to control the car and get out of a spin and so on. Nothing regular driving schools will be able to teach you.

This could build up your confidence and stop thinking of the accident.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
[OP]
Sep 13, 2011
865 posts
91 upvotes
navyseals wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:38 pm
I think Belair may still cover you. Where do you live? I think if you're paying 400 now you could be paying 600 a month once the conviction goes through. I don't think you can get a better rate than belair.
You just need to stop thinking about it period. Of course it's depressing but do you have the money to get a used car and pay $600/month for insurance?

When did your previous accident occur?

the first accident happened two years. the funny thing is i just got a letter a few days ago that my new policy will drop down to 350$ a month. just like that boom my life is up-side down. if they still give me coverage for 600$ a month on a crap box, ill have to take it i don't have a choice or i will have to get a place near a subway station. thank god i have a good job i like and not much bills to pay.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
Just take transit, I don want to sound like a di*k but 2nd at fault acciden and you're only 20? You won't find any sympathy from me, you have to pay for your wrecklessness, I don't think you can justify paying over 8k a year for Insurnace. Just take the bus and hopefully you learn from your mistakes and by the time you're 26, your accident will clear and you'll be over 25 so your insurance should be a decent rate.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4200 upvotes
What kind of car was it?

You can always buy a nicer more expensive car. That usually helps to take away the pain.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19749 posts
1477 upvotes
$600/month insurance?! :eek: Think of the car you could have had with a lease or finance payment of that amount! You should probably follow sickcars' advice, though due to such training being non-commonplace, it will be expensive as well and (of course) not recognised by insurance companies for any kind of discount :rolleyes: But it will keep you safe and give you a bit more peace of mind in driving a vehicle.

I'd like to know the circumstances of the accidents as well but I don't necessarily blame the OP alone in this, I blame the government who let the OP get on the road in the first place without requiring them to have any real knowledge or skill about driving, like they do every other licensed driver. Both the government and insurance companies benefit and profit from road danger, and everyone seems to think that's just fine.

Since insurance costs will be ridiculously high for you, I too would say to consider not driving for a while, even if it means having to find a different job or place to live. Unless you make like $60k+/yr (doubful though certainly not impossible at 20), it's probably a huge waste of $$$ to pay that much per month in insurance. Paying insurance is part of owning/driving a car, yes, but at that amount it's more like just throwing the money in the toilet.
Oct 22, 2012
596 posts
50 upvotes
gotrice wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, you are screwed. Get used to public transit, it is your ONLY solution right now.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes
Uh
You had two accidents and you are only 20...
Time to rethink your driving maybe??

Public transportation isn't that bad (depending on where you live)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15375 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley
I've never written off a car, but I've made my share of mistakes in my life. At first, it's a big deal, but every day, things get a little better until you mess something else up. Life will go on.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1279 posts
229 upvotes
You're young. Time is on your side. Believe it or not you will live through this. Not sure what your job is but public transit is not all that bad. Like someone said get yourself a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and an e-reader and then the commute isn't all that bad. If transit does not work for you consider getting a different job.

Most important of all......Learn from your mistakes and try not repeating them!.
Dec 4, 2011
32 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE
We don't know what happened in those two accidents but seeing as you admit it was your fault, i think the best thing to do right now is for you to not drive and a way to fix your driving abilities.

Chances are, the next time you have a accident and someone not you died, you're prob going to spend the next decades in jail.
× < >