Tips for Negotiating Discounted iPhone?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2018 11:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes

Tips for Negotiating Discounted iPhone?

The RFD forums are full of posts from folks who have negotiated steep discounts on iPhones. I feel like I'm well positioned to do so - I have no contract, am with Rogers on a $70/10GB plan, and am still on an iPhone 5s. It's time for an upgrade, but I'm not thrilled with the up-front cost of new iPhones. In the past I have always bought my phones outright rather then take the subsidies, but lately I've been seeing some pretty aggressive offers documented on RFD where folks are getting hundreds of dollars off the purchase price of a new phone.

For instance, I noticed the recent winback offer for Rogers customers ($80/10GB, $500 credits + $0 flagship phone). This is a wild offer that seems to prioritize customers who have left, not stayed.

Any tips on going about this, beyond asking for retention right away and threatening to switch carriers? I'm open to any of the big 3 (not Freedom - I spend too much time away from large cities), but would prefer Rogers/Fido as their network serves the rural area I visit most often.

Thanks for your insights!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13641 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
I think it all depends on which iPhone you want. Try using Facebook chat to see if they will give you a deal; however, this means signing a 2 year contract.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
I'm hoping for at least an iPhone 8. iPhone X would be ideal, although I'd consider applying the same credit towards Xs/Xs Max (although I figured that carriers would be more open to ridding themselves of the X stock...)
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13641 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
You may not get much of a break on the X but you can always ask.

I'm not sure how much stock the carriers have but they may hold off clearing any old stock until black Friday.

Good luck and report back.

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
3 posts
2 upvotes
Rogers FB chat gave me the following retention deal:

Any phone $200 off, waived $30 activation fee, on a Premium plan with special pricing: $85/10GB. In addition, $100 bill credit.

I was alright with the deal, and got them to save it for me, as they said I could apply it to an iPhone Xs on the 21st, once they start shipping.

The math, as I see it, is as such:

Currently: $1,379 to buy iPhone Xs (base model) outright + $70/10GB plan = $3,059/24 months, or ~$127/month
What they offered me: $329 to buy iPhone Xs ($1379-$750 Premium credit-$300 discount) + $85/10GB plan = $2,369/24 months, or $99/month

Another way of thinking about it is that, instead of an iPhone Xs costing me $1,379, it'd cost me $329 + extra $15/month * 24 months ($360), or a total of $689.

What do you think? Is this a good deal? Know of any other carriers that would do better? The winback deals are still better, but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of jumping ship, especially if there's no guarantee they'd offer me something better...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13641 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's pretty good. What happens if you leave early?
Mar 27, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for posting this I’m in a similar situation with the same phone looking for the same things except on an old grandfathered 6gb plan that includes calling to the US for $70 a month...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)