Tips on reloading string trimmer line? Keeps jamming

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2020 5:01 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes

Tips on reloading string trimmer line? Keeps jamming

I have a black and decker edgehog which I like but when I refill the line which I take time and wind slow and tight... when I use, often the line will get jammed... any tips on line, techniques, etc? Just tried some wd40 but that seemed to make the line too slick and melt
Images
  • 20200502_163103.jpg
10 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
As you wind the string, don't pull too tight and try to wind it progressively back and forth across the spool. Don't crisscross like a kite spool.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes
smacd wrote: As you wind the string, don't pull too tight and try to wind it progressively back and forth across the spool. Don't crisscross like a kite spool.
Can u elaborate "back and forth"?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
Start on one side, wind it flat all the way to the other side, then wind it flat all the way back to the first side. Keep doing that until the spool is full.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes
That's what I do but find eventually the upper layer gets wedged in the lower layer and need be manually unstuck
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
Make sure you are not using a string that is too thick. That can certainly lead to jamming up.

Also, are you winding it on the trimmer, or on the spool and trying to stick the spool back into the trimmer once full?

I always do it on the trimmer. Works for both single outs, and dual outs. If single, cut a long length, start one end in the spool, and put the other end through the hole. Now pull all the slack through the hole until you can snap the spool in to the trimmer. Now turn the spool backwards to suck all the slack back into the hole and onto the spool. Now when you use it, it will just unwind the same way it wound in when you "bump it".

If it is a dual out, same process, but you have you start with the spool at the 1/2 way point of the length of string you want to spool so when you spin it backwards it sucks in both sides equally.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1156 posts
360 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Make sure you are not using a string that is too thick. That can certainly lead to jamming up.

Also, are you winding it on the trimmer, or on the spool and trying to stick the spool back into the trimmer once full?

I always do it on the trimmer. Works for both single outs, and dual outs. If single, cut a long length, start one end in the spool, and put the other end through the hole. Now pull all the slack through the hole until you can snap the spool in to the trimmer. Now turn the spool backwards to suck all the slack back into the hole and onto the spool. Now when you use it, it will just unwind the same way it wound in when you "bump it".

If it is a dual out, same process, but you have you start with the spool at the 1/2 way point of the length of string you want to spool so when you spin it backwards it sucks in both sides equally.
I take the spool out and wind it. Hmm... I will investigate your technique!
May 13, 2007
238 posts
122 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
I'm using a Speed-Feed head on an echo trimmer - works GREAT.
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
These are made to be frustrating as all hell. They hope you give up and trash it and buy a new one. I have a Ryobi dual line and I hate it.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
stansoltz wrote: That's what I do but find eventually the upper layer gets wedged in the lower layer and need be manually unstuck
Your photo would say otherwise. It should be even rows, side by side, back and forth.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)