• Oct 13th, 2018 7:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3036 posts
1621 upvotes
Toronto and London

Tips for selling Used Winter Tires

Apart from the obvious like listing tread level, km, wear and tear, condition, washing it and cleaning it, etc?

Do I need a tire gauge?

What if buyer wants to test out the wheels? Do I allow him to try one/all on?

Thank you for your input.
12 replies
Jan 13, 2007
305 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have never had any potential buyer request to "test out" any tires. How would they do so if the tires aren't even mounted though?

If you have a clear description of the tires, including brand, model, size, tread depth (a tire gauge would be optimal), approximate number of kilometers you've used them for, approximate amount of time you've owned them for (or how many winters you've used them for), that should cover almost all the common questions. Some buyers may ask if any tire has ever been plugged, so know this in advance too. Some sellers will indicate what car they came off of but I find most people should be more concerned about the tire size than the car.

Definitely clean the tires and take good, clear photos. Show all 4 tires in one shot, then zoom into the tread and take a photo at an angle where you can see some of the tread depth.

You may get people asking for the manufacturer's DOT date code on the sidewall so be prepared to answer that one. Remember the 4 digit code is WWYY, where WW is the week the tire was manufactured in and YY is the last 2 digits of the year. If you want, take a photo of the DOT code and post that up; this way, people who know what it is, will know...and those who don't, it won't matter anyway!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9396 posts
1927 upvotes
Markham
No buyer will bother to test the tires. They are buying used tires after all, if they are so paranoid. Buy a set of brand new.
If there are no rims on the tires, they have to pay $60-$120 (depends on the size of the tires) to mount the 4 tires on rims, then install on his car.
No one will pay that amount of money upfront just to be sure that the tires are good. Tread life and inspect to see if there are any nails is pretty much a buyer will look at when buying used tires.

Woofster cover pretty much everything else.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3036 posts
1621 upvotes
Toronto and London
woofster wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:17 pm
I have never had any potential buyer request to "test out" any tires. How would they do so if the tires aren't even mounted though?

If you have a clear description of the tires, including brand, model, size, tread depth (a tire gauge would be optimal), approximate number of kilometers you've used them for, approximate amount of time you've owned them for (or how many winters you've used them for), that should cover almost all the common questions. Some buyers may ask if any tire has ever been plugged, so know this in advance too. Some sellers will indicate what car they came off of but I find most people should be more concerned about the tire size than the car.

Definitely clean the tires and take good, clear photos. Show all 4 tires in one shot, then zoom into the tread and take a photo at an angle where you can see some of the tread depth.

You may get people asking for the manufacturer's DOT date code on the sidewall so be prepared to answer that one. Remember the 4 digit code is WWYY, where WW is the week the tire was manufactured in and YY is the last 2 digits of the year. If you want, take a photo of the DOT code and post that up; this way, people who know what it is, will know...and those who don't, it won't matter anyway!
I am selling tires with rims and one guy wanted to test out at least one tire to see if there is a) clearance considering his Brembo brakes and b) any leakage etc. He wanted to mount at least one of them on his car and turn the steering wheel around/test it.

They are mounted on rims so they should not have leakage and I told them if he is a serious buyer, he'd know if they would fit. Despite saying this, he wanted some assurance but obviously logic dictates that he takes the risk when buying used off of kijiji?

Thank you for your help.
Jan 17, 2009
301 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:27 am
I am selling tires with rims and one guy wanted to test out at least one tire to see if there is a) clearance considering his Brembo brakes and b) any leakage etc. He wanted to mount at least one of them on his car and turn the steering wheel around/test it.

They are mounted on rims so they should not have leakage and I told them if he is a serious buyer, he'd know if they would fit. Despite saying this, he wanted some assurance but obviously logic dictates that he takes the risk when buying used off of kijiji?

Thank you for your help.
Sounds like a waste of time IMO. It's the buyers job to make sure they fit their car, not the seller. What if he damages the wheels while installing them?

If you still want to do it ask for a 10% non-refundable deposit for your time (or however much you value your time for what this would take), regardless of if he buys them. Then at least you're not wasting your time completely if he changes his mind or backs out.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1190 posts
1034 upvotes
GTA
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:27 am

Thank you for your help.
Ecsta wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:12 pm
Sounds like a waste of time IMO. It's the buyers job to make sure they fit their car, not the seller. What if he damages the wheels while installing them?

If you still want to do it ask for a 10% non-refundable deposit for your time (or however much you value your time for what this would take), regardless of if he buys them. Then at least you're not wasting your time completely if he changes his mind or backs out.
I've worked at a tire shop, and the first step of installing new winter wheels and tires on a car is checking whether the wheels physically fit the car. Even before installing the tires. Otherwise, an installer can spend all that time mounting and balacing the tires only to find the wheels don't fit because of the brakes, suspension etc. This is even after selecting wheels from a catalog that specify they fit the car. You can spend lots of time researching and being re-assured that something will fit, but there's always the chance they won't. Test fitting wheels is also very common when buying and selling aftermarket wheels and tires that have very precise fitment.

So it's not an unreasonable request. But if you don't want to allow it, that's certainly your decision to make too.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13032 posts
2546 upvotes
London
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:04 pm
...Do I need a tire gauge?...
It's pretty standard to insert a coin into the tread and then take a clear picture to post on Kijiji. This gives prospective buyers a way to figure out the tread depth. You can also measure the coin and post the depth as well (i.e. 8/32" , 10mm, etc). Serious buyers want the price, depth, production date and make/year the car it came from (to figure out bolt pattern and hub size)

So:
Set of 4 snow tires, P225/65R16, Goodyear Nordic, mounted on 16" steel rims from 2010 Dodge Caravan, production date 2215, 8/32" remaining tread, even wear, no plugs/patches, 3 years old, 70,000Km, $350

If someone is serious and wants a test fit, normally they will come to your house with their jack and they will check on your driveway. You will probably get 10 people who say they will come, but maybe only 2 will actually show up. There's a lot of flaky people on Kijiji that are a total waste of time.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
Date of manufacturer is another thing people look for. They also inspect for any holes, patches or cracks. Nope no one is going to "try them".
Last edited by carmaster on Oct 13th, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1190 posts
1034 upvotes
GTA
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:04 pm
What if buyer wants to test out the wheels? Do I allow him to try one/all on?
carmaster wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 12:50 pm
Nope no one is going to "try them". No way to do so.
There's no way to put a wheel on a car?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5271 posts
2233 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have been looking for a used tire set.
Be reasonable with your price.
I have seen so many ads on local classified where people wanted prices that are not far from brand new prices.

Also, specify which car/year/model they were used. This way the potential buyer will know if the tires fits their car.
If possible get the rim specification too (offset etc)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:00 pm
There's no way to put a wheel on a car?
On the spot? Explain to me who can do that to try the tires if not on rims?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1190 posts
1034 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:45 pm
On the spot? Explain to me who can do that to try the tires if not on rims?
OP is selling the tires on wheels.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15656 posts
3446 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 7:17 pm
OP is selling the tires on wheels.
Ok