Tips on withdrawing rrsp from IG for self directed

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2012 7:45 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2009
400 posts
65 upvotes
S5 wrote: A few weeks seems typical in my experience with both my accounts and those of family members I've helped migrate to a discount broker. Unfortunately you're dealing with the most notorious MF group out there so they're going to milk it as much as they can. Think of all the extra fees they earn by delaying these requests for a month more than is necessary. Nice to see their employee above is laughable as ever, simultaneously telling you a month and a half is normal and that they are quick with transfers.
I've had transfers from banks like Scotia and RBC take 6-8 weeks. And in a couple of cases, TD "lost" my transfer instructions 1 and 3 times for 2 different accounts. What's your point here? And the OP most likely had his money in the IGFS platform which is almost entirely dependent on the adviser he is dealing with to complete the transfer out.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
Y2K_MASTER wrote: I've had transfers from banks like Scotia and RBC take 6-8 weeks. And in a couple of cases, TD "lost" my transfer instructions 1 and 3 times for 2 different accounts. What's your point here? And the OP most likely had his money in the IGFS platform which is almost entirely dependent on the adviser he is dealing with to complete the transfer out.
My point is that it should not take more than 2-3 weeks to transfer. When it does, in the vast majority of cases it is due to the originating broker/company dragging their feet since they have no incentive to process the transfer quickly(and in fact have incentive to keep collecting fees). Your BFF above stated a month and a half was normal at IG.

I thought that was quite obvious from my post but you seem to have trouble reading posts that are critical of the despicable company that employs you.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
wesboag wrote: the advisor has no say in the transfer and its "delay" after the papers are signed, the entire process after that is head office.
Thanks for making my case!
Three, yes a month or more is typical of every institution, regardless if it is a mutual fund company, brokerage, planning firm, bank, etc.
Not the case at all. I've had some transfers show up in under a week but 2-3 weeks is more typical. Your experience is coloured by working for a crappy company. That's fine but turning around and saying they are fast after you just said 1.5 months is typical due to head office is laughable.

The fact that you will say anything to discredit anything I say speaks loudly of your character. I’m pretty sure if you talk to the OP he will have a very different opinion on how “laughable” I am. Again, you are nothing but a child.
LOL, I love the personal attacks everytime I point out another ridiculous statement you've made. No better confirmation that you are on tilt. :lol:
Sep 27, 2009
400 posts
65 upvotes
S5 wrote: My point is that it should not take more than 2-3 weeks to transfer. When it does, in the vast majority of cases it is due to the originating broker/company dragging their feet since they have no incentive to process the transfer quickly(and in fact have incentive to keep collecting fees). Your BFF above stated a month and a half was normal at IG.

I thought that was quite obvious from my post but you seem to have trouble reading posts that are critical of the despicable company that employs you.
First of all, I've never met Wes in my life. Second of all, I chose to be self employed with IG because they stood out as one of the best when I decided to start my own business. And third of all, if you reread your post you were clearly pointing fingers at IG as if every other institutiion jumped up like a dog to get things done when they received a transfer out request. What you think should happen doesn't magically make it an industry standard.

Why don't you take that chip off your shoulder and accept the fact that there are some really good financial planners out there like myself, and that not every Joe Blow can learn tax and investing rules on their own effectively.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
All I'm doing is transferring a TFSA savings cash account at ING Direct to a TFSA at Peoples Trust.

I've copied and pasted what Peoples Trust told me in the e-mail after requesting information.

"Please be aware that it takes 6-8 weeks to complete a transfer"

It's been the same time factor in RRSP transfers for the last thirty years so nothing has changed. Just have to be patient.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
wesboag wrote: You follow me around this site purposely looking for an argument. It’s pretty blatant and comical actually.
I’ll carry on while you sit behind your computer acting like a big tough guy know it all. I’m fine with that.
You really are delusional. I doubt I've read even half your posts here. In this very thread I avoided directly responding to you, preferring to reply to the OP's post to avoid further confrontation that would take away from the OP's topic. You OTOH continually make it a point to make it a personal confrontation everytime I challenge anything you say. If you weren't continually making self serving comments and trying to drum up business in here, you wouldn't get confronted nearly as much, be it by me or any of the other DIY investors who post here without ulterior motives who you always end up in arguments with.

In this very thread you tried to recruit the OP, your sig is nothing but an ad that exposes your motives for particpation on RFD. Poor little persecuted wesboag, lol.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
Did this exact same thing... and was warned that IG might be less than expeditious about the transfer. Having said that, in my experience we initiated the transfer on Aug 10, funds at IG were redeemed ~Aug 31. However, they did not arrive at the new account until Oct 23. This might have been because of reinvested income and grant money, and subsequent need to apply to transfer the extra money, I'm not sure. We transferred 4 registered accounts. So OP, it did take a LONG time.

As an aside, later transfer from branch to same institution's discount broker... 2 days. :)
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
Alot of bickering... lol

Wesboag offered me advice and even when I made arrangements to meet with him, only to cancel with him a short while later, he made no attempts to pressure me further and wished me well, unfortunately I had a less than desirable Financial advisor with IG so it turned me off to stick around further, and to research and pursue my own DIY investments, so let's steer this ship back on course
Your source for training, nutrition, supplement advice!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)