Wheels and Tires

Tire Leaking from Valve Stem - can I fix myself?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 6:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes

Tire Leaking from Valve Stem - can I fix myself?

So just noticed one of my tire was completely flat, I took the tire out and using spare right now,
Thinking gosh not another nail in my tire, I Inspected the flat tire but find no nail or puncture,
however after I filled air to it I can hear and feel the air leaking almost immediately at the valve stem.
I searched around a bit and it appears CT sells these valve stem tool for tightening or loosening the core, and valve core for replacing the thing.
I was wondering changing the valve core would be something that I can do myself and is safe to do so?
(vs plugging tire when there is a puncture which I have heard is not recommended, should have a professional to patch it)
and I assume it would be universal core size for any tire?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest just spend $ (probably $40 or so) and get it done by tire shop
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I suggest just spend $ (probably $40 or so) and get it done by tire shop
unfortunately I have to work and only time I can drop off the car is after work,
last time I had Kaltire to patch my tire for free it took like 2.5 hours waiting, even with appointment.
But if it is the safest thing to do I guess I will drop it off there again.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19728 posts
28593 upvotes
Vancouver
Changing a valve core is dead simple and totally safe. Unscrew the old one, screw the new one in. Takes less than a minute. 4-pk of cores is $2 and the tool is $6 at Canadian Tire. I wouldn't pay a tire shop $40 to do this any more than I'd pay an electrician $40 to change a light bulb.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Changing a valve core is dead simple and totally safe. Unscrew the old one, screw the new one in. Takes less than a minute. 4-pk of cores is $2 and the tool is $6 at Canadian Tire. I wouldn't pay a tire shop $40 to do this any more than I'd pay an electrician $40 to change a light bulb.
I believe he is saying the stem itself is leaking, not the screw in valve
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19728 posts
28593 upvotes
Vancouver
6mthatch wrote: I believe he is saying the stem itself is leaking, not the screw in valve
What he asked was:
I was wondering changing the valve core would be something that I can do myself and is safe to do so?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote: So just noticed one of my tire was completely flat, I took the tire out and using spare right now,
Thinking gosh not another nail in my tire, I Inspected the flat tire but find no nail or puncture,
however after I filled air to it I can hear and feel the air leaking almost immediately at the valve stem.
I searched around a bit and it appears CT sells these valve stem tool for tightening or loosening the core, and valve core for replacing the thing.
(vs plugging tire when there is a puncture which I have heard is not recommended, should have a professional to patch it)
If its the core diy if the valve stem is leaking at the rim get it done by a tire shop. Most tire shops are open till 9 pm most nights.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Yes, it's safe to do so. Even at full pressure, they come out pretty uneventfully. Yes, they are all the same size.

But before you go and spend money on that stuff, spray some soapy water on the area and look for bubbles. It might be the core, but it very well might be the stem that's damaged, which requires the tire to be removed to replace it (or at least the bead broken).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
sf1 wrote: So just noticed one of my tire was completely flat, I took the tire out and using spare right now,
If it is the schrader valve that is the culprit, then yes just takes a bit of finesse without damaging the valve to tighten it. You can try using a very small thin flat screwdriver and gently follow the inside of outer wall of the stem to screw the valve in (cw). If it is the actual stem, obviously take it to a tire shop.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What he asked was:
sorry for not being clear, the leak was from the core piece with the valve cap removed I can hear the air was leaking.
So I went to CT and purchased the kit with the valve tool and valve cores and other stuffs.
but I ended up just using the valve tool to tighten the original core and the leaking sound was gone.
wiggled the valve stem and the core pin and it's not leaking anymore, I am going to measure the psi again tomorrow and see if it is stable,
meanwhile I will still be on my spare tire for short distance driving.
This is a very strange leak I did not know this core can become loose over time, maybe I will tighten it as part of my maintenance.

Will update again tomorrow, thanks everyone for the help.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote: sorry for not being clear, the leak was from the core piece with the valve cap removed I can hear the air was leaking.
So I went to CT and purchased the kit with the valve tool and valve cores and other stuffs.
but I ended up just using the valve tool to tighten the original core and the leaking sound was gone.
wigged the valve stem and the core pin and it's not leaking anymore, I am going to measure the psi again tomorrow and see if it is stable,
meanwhile I will still be on my spare tire for short distance driving.
This is a very strange leak I did not know this core can become loose over time, maybe I will tighten it as part of my maintenance.

Will update again tomorrow, thanks everyone for the help.
Have you checked your tire pressure lately or had your vehicle in for service where they would check your tire pressure? Its possible that by checking the tire pressure the gauge could cause the valve core to leak. Check your other tires also for a loose valve core.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Have you checked your tire pressure lately or had your vehicle in for service where they would check your tire pressure? Its possible that by checking the tire pressure the gauge could cause the valve core to leak. Check your other tires also for a loose valve core.
I had these tires changed last year, but the TPMS (maybe the stems too) are from original which are at least 6 year+.
yes I do check tire pressure once in a while with a gauge,
could that be the cause for the core to become loose?
I was able to turn maybe a quarter on the original core.
I will check tightness for all of them tomorrow.
Last edited by sf1 on Oct 15th, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote: yes I do check tire pressure once in a while with the gauge,
could that be the cause for the core to become loose?
I will check tightness for all of them tomorrow.
It could be the cause. When you check the pressure in a tire the gauge you use pushes down the inner core so the gauge can read the pressure.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Got any enemies?
I had a loose valve core once. Some idiot thought it would be funny to flatten my tire and loosened it. Luckily I noticed it right away and didn't drive on it, tightened the core and pumped up my tire.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
engineered wrote: Got any enemies?
I had a loose valve core once. Some idiot thought it would be funny to flatten my tire and loosened it. Luckily I noticed it right away and didn't drive on it, tightened the core and pumped up my tire.
I don't think so, and I didn't take anybodys parking spot on that day nor was I featured in that D-bag parking thread.
I checked the other three valves they were tightened,
so the tire is back in service now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)