• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2020 11:58 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 28, 2006
12990 posts
6520 upvotes

Tire sizes for my 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Hi all,

Just looking around tires for my car and I found out that the hybrid LE is supposed to be 205/65R 16" wheels but the car side door for my car is the 215/55R 17" wheels. I initially thought that this was the size for my car so I bought winter tires and steel rims already 2 years ago with that size. Now that I looked online and saw that it's supposed to be the 16", my question is if I can start looking at the 16" size for my next set of tires? This would make it a bit cheaper than the 17" I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Hi all,

Just looking around tires for my car and I found out that the hybrid LE is supposed to be 205/65R 16" wheels but the car side door for my car is the 215/55R 17" wheels. I initially thought that this was the size for my car so I bought winter tires and steel rims already 2 years ago with that size. Now that I looked online and saw that it's supposed to be the 16", my question is if I can start looking at the 16" size for my next set of tires? This would make it a bit cheaper than the 17" I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance.
They are the same, you can pick whichever you like.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14188 upvotes
Toronto
jeffyjaixx wrote: Hi all,

Just looking around tires for my car and I found out that the hybrid LE is supposed to be 205/65R 16" TIRES but the car side door for my car is the 215/55R 17" TIRES. I initially thought that this was the size for my car so I bought winter tires and steel rims already 2 years ago with that size. Now that I looked online and saw that it's supposed to be the 16", my question is if I can start looking at the 16" size for my next set of tires? This would make it a bit cheaper than the 17" I'd imagine.

Thanks in advance.
If you already have 2 sets of 17 inch wheels/rims, then you can't run 16 inch tires unless you buy a set of 16 inch wheels/rims for them.

Not worth doing.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
The Camry has 3 different sizes based on the option package

205/65R16 (Base Tire Size)
215/55R17 ( On Most Trims)
235/45R18 (on a Sport model)

If you have 17 inch rims, you can use those for your winter tires. That being said, most tend to downsize to the 16 inch on steel wheels for winter tires due to cost and improved grip. Skinnier tires tend distribute the vehicle weight over a narrower surface area which provides better grip.

Expect to save around $40 per tire for 16 inch vs 17 inch which is about the price of a one steel rim. You initial cost would work out to the same in the first set (17 inch tire on existing rim = 16 tire and new steel wheel), but subsequent sets will work out cheaper.
Deal Guru
Feb 28, 2006
12990 posts
6520 upvotes
hightech wrote: The Camry has 3 different sizes based on the option package

205/65R16 (Base Tire Size)
215/55R17 ( On Most Trims)
235/45R18 (on a Sport model)

If you have 17 inch rims, you can use those for your winter tires. That being said, most tend to downsize to the 16 inch on steel wheels for winter tires due to cost and improved grip. Skinnier tires tend distribute the vehicle weight over a narrower surface area which provides better grip.

Expect to save around $40 per tire for 16 inch vs 17 inch which is about the price of a one steel rim. You initial cost would work out to the same in the first set (17 inch tire on existing rim = 16 tire and new steel wheel), but subsequent sets will work out cheaper.
If I knew this earlier, I would have bought the 205/65R16 version instead when I bought my Costco steelies. Now that I have the 17" size steelies, I'll probably stick with the bigger tire 17" size as it'll cost me another $300 or so for new steelies most likely.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
jeffyjaixx wrote: If I knew this earlier, I would have bought the 205/65R16 version instead when I bought my Costco steelies. Now that I have the 17" size steelies, I'll probably stick with the bigger tire 17" size as it'll cost me another $300 or so for new steelies most likely.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you go with the size that is on the doorjab, your speedometer would be accurate. Downsizing/upsizing will report a higher/lower number due to the number of revolutions per minute.

I would stick with the 17 inch tire size given what you already have.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Another thing to keep in mind is that if you go with the size that is on the doorjab, your speedometer would be accurate. Downsizing/upsizing will report a higher/lower number due to the number of revolutions per minute.

I would stick with the 17 inch tire size given what you already have.
Actually no...the overall diameters/circumferences are pretty much identical for the 235/45R18 and 215/55R17 from personal experience. Not sure about the 16” but should be within 1% as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
One issue with the other sizes even with identical diameters is what PSI to put in.

Otherwise, sticking to the base specs and upgrade specs = proper offset and no calliper scraping, no wheel well scraping, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)