None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa

Tire Tread Please...

I mean Tire Thread Please :)
Can we have a "Ask All Your Tire Questions Here" sticky thread?
And then put all the "will this fit", "What size should...?", "What is the best...Winter, Summer, All Season?", "Is Tire X better than Tire XX?", "Where to buy Winter/Summer tires?" questions in there?
They seem to be a disproportionate amount of threads and almost always asking the same questions. We have this for Audi, Nissan, VW, Mercedes etc, it would work for tires too.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
I support this idea.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1755 posts
723 upvotes
The Capital
"But i'm a n00b and still feel its important to make a thread even though there are 234012323 threads already on the subject" - n00b

<supports idea>
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
I put a sticky thread last year for the winter tires info, I unstuck it for summer time, I guess it's time to put it back again.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/top-10-w ... ds-797625/

Hope RFDers can find useful info there and not creating a new thread every time for what winter tires they need for their cars.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
MP3_SKY wrote: I put a sticky thread last year for the winter tires info, I unstuck it for summer time, I guess it's time to put it back again.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/top-10-w ... ds-797625/

Hope RFDers can find useful info there and not creating a new thread every time for what winter tires they need for their cars.
Woo Hoo, thanks.
It was helpful and kept quite a few new threads form forming. Lets point tire questions to it again. :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: I mean Tire Thread Please :)
Can we have a "Ask All Your Tire Questions Here" sticky thread?
And then put all the "will this fit", "What size should...?", "What is the best...Winter, Summer, All Season?", "Is Tire X better than Tire XX?", "Where to buy Winter/Summer tires?" questions in there?
They seem to be a disproportionate amount of threads and almost always asking the same questions. We have this for Audi, Nissan, VW, Mercedes etc, it would work for tires too.

Did you just volunteer...cheeky bastard! :O Ya please, just aggregate everything into a tire thread for questions to be answered.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
A good idea, that deserves full support.

The Tire Thread should have a Glossary of Terms, to help people be clear when asking or answering a question.

One example is: http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-p ... ssary.aspx

Not perfect as, for example, it avoids distinguishing between a rim and a wheel, giving the same definitions for rim/wheel width and diam.

Some posters incorrectly use the term "tire" to mean a tire and wheel assembly - such as, "I can't get the tires off my car".

Ideally, we would just use the term rim to mean a "wheel" without a tire mounted,
and reserve the term wheel to mean what is sometimes referred to as a "tire and wheel assembly".

However, purists won't agree, so let's just try and use whatever makes it clear at the time.

Similarly, some posters confuse wheel balancing and wheel alignment.
The above glossary would be very helpful for those people.
Of course, the former procedure is always necessary when a new (or used) tire is mounted on a rim,
while the latter is not normally a part of acquiring new rubber - you were either in need of an alignment beforehand, or you weren't,
irrespective of the new tire purchase.

Another useful link that should be considered for the sticky, is:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Don't agree with all of it (e.g. tire age recommendation is a bit overplayed, in my view), but well written in general.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)