• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 2:43 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes

TMI: Is my dental hygienist too good?

My hygienist is very thorough and takes a lot of pride in her work. However, I've started noticing after a clean that
1. My teeth are more sensitive but worse than that
2. Food now gets stuck in my teeth after eating - it's getting worse

Is it possible she is creating bigger gaps with her "diligence"?

Kind of a weird thread but I wonder if anyone here knows.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
12 replies
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
Ummm, if you don't like the way she takes care of your teeth, stop going. That's what I did. My last teeth-cleaning was very rough. I thought she was going to pull half my teeth out. A number of months after the rough teeth cleaning, one of my teeth did chip. I don't know if it was related to how she cleaned them, but I stopped going. SO, stop going.
Jul 31, 2017
228 posts
42 upvotes
I thought my response was, you probably should ask her on a date. But it doesn't look like that's the right answer.

I know for a fact that some dentists damage peoples teeth on purpose to make more money, someone who works for a dentist probably wouldn't be any different. Go elsewhere.
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
BritishColumbian wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:52 pm
I know for a fact that some dentists damage peoples teeth on purpose to make more money, someone who works for a dentist probably wouldn't be any different. Go elsewhere.
Are you serious? Some purposely damage your teeth? Yikes!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1541 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
My dental hygienist think's shes a hairdresser in that she always wants to have a conversation with me. I wouldn't mind it so much if there wasn't dental equipment in my mouth. Anyone else have this problem?

I want my teeth cleaned the same way I want my haircut, in silence.
Aug 15, 2017
40 posts
6 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:54 pm
My hygienist is very thorough and takes a lot of pride in her work. However, I've started noticing after a clean that
1. My teeth are more sensitive but worse than that
2. Food now gets stuck in my teeth after eating - it's getting worse

Is it possible she is creating bigger gaps with her "diligence"?

Kind of a weird thread but I wonder if anyone here knows.
You may have gingivitis/periodontal disease and the space now, between your teeth where food is getting stuck, is the result of gingival healing. The papilla (which is the gum tissue between your teeth) often shrinks after treatment, IF IT WAS INFLAMED BEFORE THAT, which is a sign of periodontitis or gingivitis.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5624 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
BritishColumbian wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:52 pm
I thought my response was, you probably should ask her on a date. But it doesn't look like that's the right answer.

You know for a fact that Dentists damage peoples teeth. Are you on cheap drugs? In every industry and jobs there are good apples and bad apples but dentists don't have to damage peoples teeth to make there living.
Jul 31, 2017
228 posts
42 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:03 am
You know for a fact that Dentists damage peoples teeth. Are you on cheap drugs? In every industry and jobs there are good apples and bad apples but dentists don't have to damage peoples teeth to make there living.
Stop trollin' and start rollin'. I never said every single dentist damages peoples teeth on purpose. It sounds like you're a bad apple.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5624 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
BritishColumbian wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:54 am
Stop trollin' and start rollin'. I never said every single dentist damages peoples teeth on purpose. It sounds like you're a bad apple.
You said you know for a fact that some dentists damage peoples teeth on purpose to make more money. Prove it.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
8 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:12 pm
You said you know for a fact that some dentists damage peoples teeth on purpose to make more money. Prove it.
Happened to me , need more ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5624 posts
754 upvotes
Mississauga
voncleav wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 6:47 pm
Happened to me , need more ?
Yes I think we all do. An explanation of how you determined it was on purpose.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
TheSpandexSuplex wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:29 am
You may have gingivitis/periodontal disease and the space now, between your teeth where food is getting stuck, is the result of gingival healing. The papilla (which is the gum tissue between your teeth) often shrinks after treatment, IF IT WAS INFLAMED BEFORE THAT, which is a sign of periodontitis or gingivitis.
Oh interesting ! Thanks. Does it ever rebound back? I don't want to have to always run to floss my teeth after a meal, especially on social outings
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
May 13, 2012
149 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
springdays wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:11 pm
Oh interesting ! Thanks. Does it ever rebound back? I don't want to have to always run to floss my teeth after a meal, especially on social outings
spandexsuplex is correct and is just one possibility.
if you do have periodontitis, unfortunately it does not rebound back.
if it was just a result of bad hygiene and gingivitis, initially you would see your gums come to healthy level ("shrink") and grow in health between teeth (interdental papilla).
teeth can get a little sensitive from cleaning. There are many reasons/possibility.
Just to lay a few;
- you may had some buildup that got cleansed, thus leaving the tooth "naked". you may have relative sensitivity before and after but it should get better within days
- with instruments, your teeth go through some stress (ultrasonic,scaling). this could lead to some sensitivity
and many more
With hygiene/dental instruments, "gaps" or movements of teeth (in such a short period) cannot be achieved. do not worry about that.

trust your dentist. if you have doubts/questions, just go to another.
it may be true that some dentists may disappoint patients. but i believe not just in this field but in all fields we have more good people than bad.