Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
TMS

Samsung A8 $0 small tab - 200,000pts

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 2:03 pm
Tags:
Nov 14, 2003
704 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
tonyford wrote: Wonder if we could just port the number out and have the account close that way...yes...i'm a chicken...
Yes, port out is simple. Dollarama has Lucky SIM for $4, no need to put money on the account.
Sep 10, 2017
178 posts
34 upvotes
cheney wrote: yes, any phone. store credit is YMMV. My rep is good and put 50,000 together with 200,000 in the card. so i have $250 altogether. But I know some rep will ask you to use 50,000 right away in TMS.
Lucky you . Lets see if we get lucky too with the 50k points .

Also has anyone here got a new line and cancelled right away and still able to get the 200k pc points ?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
So you would sign up with Koodo and then port out/cancel to get this? Is that the best/only option?
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Jan 17, 2010
962 posts
468 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
d_source wrote: So you would sign up with Koodo and then port out/cancel to get this? Is that the best/only option?
i have not cancelled yet but will do soon. the other option is to stay with Koodo for 3 months with $25 plan. i believe it is unlimited talk and text together with some free international call minutes. after 3 months, you are free... stay or cancel, whatever you want.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote: Seems like a good deal. Am thing of getting this for a kid who's starting high school.

So, I go to TMS, sign up and have to call and cancel? Not bad for about $55 all in.

Will I have any issues cancelling?
There should be no issues cancelling. You are free to do whatever you want.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
Eaglyeye wrote: Lucky you . Lets see if we get lucky too with the 50k points .

Also has anyone here got a new line and cancelled right away and still able to get the 200k pc points ?
The points are added at the time of purchase. They cannot claw back despite everything the rep might say.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
d_source wrote: So you would sign up with Koodo and then port out/cancel to get this? Is that the best/only option?
Depends on how you define best. If it's to get the lowest price on the phone then yes. But if you wanted to get phones in the future from TMS or get in a good relationship with your rep so they tell you about more offers then no.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
2106 posts
3926 upvotes
Surrey
Cancellations loophole still exist as of today?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is this the 2017 or 2018 version of the Galaxy A8?
Jan 17, 2010
962 posts
468 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
chevyz07 wrote: Is this the 2017 or 2018 version of the Galaxy A8?
It is released in Jan 2018 but announced by the end of 2017. I dont think there are two versions of A8 in the market? Anyway, the model number is SM-A530
Feb 4, 2007
859 posts
886 upvotes
oscar1999 wrote: Depends on how you define best. If it's to get the lowest price on the phone then yes. But if you wanted to get phones in the future from TMS or get in a good relationship with your rep so they tell you about more offers then no.
Then what would you personally do?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
Mysticode wrote: Then what would you personally do?
I personally stay for 90 days when I buy from TMS.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
oscar1999 wrote: Depends on how you define best. If it's to get the lowest price on the phone then yes. But if you wanted to get phones in the future from TMS or get in a good relationship with your rep so they tell you about more offers then no.
Ok thanks.

I already have a cheap plan with Public Mobile that I don't care to move. So ideal for me means best price on the phone. I've never dealt with TMS in the past so being blackballed by an ageant or TMS as a whoile for a little while will have no impact on me. I also have no intention to move the line to Koodo in case they would blacklist as well on a quick cancellation.

Any particular place to get an old/destroyed phone for trade in for free? I have to see if I have one that I can part with. Would be nice to use someone else's though.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
d_source wrote: Ok thanks.

I already have a cheap plan with Public Mobile that I don't care to move. So ideal for me means best price on the phone. I've never dealt with TMS in the past so being blackballed by an ageant or TMS as a whoile for a little while will have no impact on me. I also have no intention to move the line to Koodo in case they would blacklist as well on a quick cancellation.
Just a FYI on blacklisting - it's not for a "little while" per say - one of my friends has been blacklisted from TMS for almost 2 years now. Also the Koodo blacklist (which unfortunately is very hard to predict) will mean that you cannot get a tab on any Koodo device in the future (ie have to pay MSRP) no matter which store you get it from - so you can still get a line on Koodo in the future but cannot get a phone on a tab.

I've seen old phones at the salvation army but just check the IMEI before buying.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cheney wrote: It is released in Jan 2018 but announced by the end of 2017. I dont think there are two versions of A8 in the market? Anyway, the model number is SM-A530
Ah got it so it is the 2018 version. There's actually 3 versions of the A8, and the first two suck.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Thanks OP.
But the deal is far from hot. I felt compelled to downvote.
The same phone (A8 model number SM-A530) was much cheaper from Koodo several times last year (Canada Day 2018 Long Weekend sale and again during the Labour Day 2018 sale), so it should be a punishable offense to pay more today for such old hardware.

Canada Day 2018 Long Weekend sale: Samsung Galaxy A8 from Koodo was $0 down on tab small ($240 tab) with $150 gift card at Walmart, or with $200 worth of PC points at The Mobile Shop, when trading in of any old non-functioning phone.
walmart-koodo-telus-virgin-bell-rogers- ... s-2204250/

Labour Day 2018 sale: "Koodo Samsung Galaxy A8, they pay you $24.70 (or even $90) to get this phone":
wow-mobile-boutique-koodo-samsung-galax ... v-2219493/
wow-mobile-boutique-koodo-samsung-galax ... #p29781860

Obviously, no time machine is available, but the time-honoured tradition here on RFD is that the hotness of all posted "hot deals" is to be judged based on the lowest price previously confirmed on RFD (under realistic conditions). This is even more true for products like smartphones, for which the price is expected to steeply and continuously decrease with the passage of time.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
oscar1999 wrote: Just a FYI on blacklisting - it's not for a "little while" per say - one of my friends has been blacklisted from TMS for almost 2 years now. Also the Koodo blacklist (which unfortunately is very hard to predict) will mean that you cannot get a tab on any Koodo device in the future (ie have to pay MSRP) no matter which store you get it from - so you can still get a line on Koodo in the future but cannot get a phone on a tab.

I've seen old phones at the salvation army but just check the IMEI before buying.
So in order to avoid the blacklist, I would have to sign up for 3 months of service minimum? What's the cheapest plan? Online I only saw a $40/month as the cheapest on Koodo. Isn't there a $20-$25/month plan?

Assuming $25/month for 3 months, that would make the cost of the phone $55 + $75 * 1.13 = ~$147 (Is my maths correct? Astonished Face)

THX
Mar 18, 2013
530 posts
1165 upvotes
Toronto
cheney wrote: put it simple as the following eqation:

upfront 0 + tab small 10 per month (x24month) + 25 month plan (cancel anytime) + 35 activation +tax - 200,000pts (200value) - 50,000pts (optional tradein old phone) = maybe less than 55 if cancel it right away...

I strongly believe this A8 value has been underestimated and deserved to be posted alone considering Costco A5 at 99 is still a hot deal. This phone is a mid range one (not really A5 successor but simple version of s8) with two front selfie lenses. Decent glass body, IP68 rated.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ ... -galaxy-a8
1+
Dont need the phone but very clear\well written post to aid decision making on the spot.

Upvoted.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1324 posts
1217 upvotes
d_source wrote: So in order to avoid the blacklist, I would have to sign up for 3 months of service minimum? What's the cheapest plan? Online I only saw a $40/month as the cheapest on Koodo. Isn't there a $20-$25/month plan?

Assuming $25/month for 3 months, that would make the cost of the phone $55 + $75 * 1.13 = ~$147 (Is my maths correct? Astonished Face)

THX
I think staying for 90 days is generally safe. The cost of the phone would be $240+35+75+tax - 200 PC Points.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)