Shopping Discussion

Today At My Real Canadian Super Store...

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2017 3:19 pm
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2013
281 posts
98 upvotes

Today At My Real Canadian Super Store...

I decided to use self-checkout to speed things up and I had a few price matches and discounted items in my cart...

The cashier has to go through a bunch of gyrations to get things to come up right so while she was assisting me I noticed they had done some remodeling to the self checkout area of my Super Store...new scanners for one and the elimination of the cashiers work area. Previously the cashiers had what I can best describe as a podium...on which they kept their paper work...an intercom phone...their in-store computer screen....a "work station" maybe describes it best.

But that work station is now all gone and the cashier is expected to just stand there...in a central location I guess ready to assist clientele. It's somebody's idea of progress but dig this....they've also taken away the anti fatigue mat...the black coloured mat that makes standing for 8 hours a little more bearable.

Now before some of you say "so what" the cashier this morning told me that two of the "girls"....her term...have already told management that they can't work in that specific job any longer. To be blunt...without the relief the mat provides they can't stand for 8 hours on that hard floor.

I feel their pain as I wouldn't want to endure their new work situation either. And you can bet your bottom $ that the anti fatigue mats remain at all of the other 18 checkouts in the store.

There is one cashier at the store who has what appears to be a progressive case of MS. She's as nice as pie and does her very best while working at the self checkout. How will these changes affect her for example never mind the healthy staffers??

I'm told she has been attempting to get the store to allow her to go on disability but they have fought her each and every step of the way. And now this...

Very very disappointed in this news this morning...it's a great Super Store and has a wonderful caring staff.

It's just too damn bad I can't say the same about management...

Progress my ass...
Last edited by unclefester on Jul 16th, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2500 posts
985 upvotes
Doesn't superstore have a union ? Maybe the union can step in (I doubt they will do anything thou). Workers in a grocery store are just a number first person who refuses the work they will have 4 -5 people to do it
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13691 posts
4257 upvotes
Your post seems completely biased and not at all realistic. The union is in place at all the RCSS that I know of and they have health / safety standards in place for their employees which creates a safe working environment. The collective addresses many of your concerns.

While I applaud your concern for the workers, they already have a system in place to address all the concerns within your post so I do not think your hate towards management is at all founded.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2013
281 posts
98 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:04 pm
Your post seems completely biased and not at all realistic. The union is in place at all the RCSS...



While I applaud your concern for the workers, they already have a system in place to address all the concerns within your post so I do not think your hate towards management is at all founded.


I think my post is quite realistic...to be blunt it is fact-filled...and of course it is a union shop...

There is no hate toward management on my part...and I'm far from being a "union man"...I'm just a customer...

I'll update as I find out more...

So Trevor and the rest of you please stay tuned...and thanks for the applause...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
10273 posts
2018 upvotes
GTA
Post on their social media. The workers wouldn't be allowed to do that, but if you do, they have to address it.
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13691 posts
4257 upvotes
unclefester wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:40 pm
I think my post is quite realistic...to be blunt it is fact-filled...and of course it is a union shop...

There is no hate toward management on my part...and I'm far from being a "union man"...I'm just a customer...

I'll update as I find out more...

So Trevor and the rest of you please stay tuned...and thanks for the applause...
If your post was "fact filled" it would not blame the store for preventing an employee for going on short term disability. The store has nothing to do with this.

For example, here is a document outlining the agreement between RCSS and their employees in one of their cities:
https://gounion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... eEDMv4.pdf

You will notice that anti-fatigue mats are actually a part of their agreement and RCSS has agreed to their need.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2013
281 posts
98 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:04 pm
If your post was "fact filled" it would not blame the store for preventing an employee for going on short term disability. The store has nothing to do with this.

For example, here is a document outlining the agreement between RCSS and their employees in one of their cities:
https://gounion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... eEDMv4.pdf

You will notice that anti-fatigue mats are actually a part of their agreement and RCSS has agreed to their need.
Can never have enough facts!

Thanks for clarifying!

When I was told the story this morning the term "they" was used...it was "they" were fighting the employee at every turn so I assumed it was the store...

It was the royal "they" that was used so got that one wrong...

Hmmm...

So the store just might well be siding with their employee(s) on this one???

Wouldn't that be fantastic news!

And if said anti fatigue mats are part of the employee rights...how did we get to this stage??

Makes no sense...

It's still bad PR wouldn't you concur?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3627 posts
468 upvotes
Richmond
new writing has the anti fatigue mats as supplies required to effectively operate the front checkouts as determined by employer. And they aren't supposed to do u scan for more than 4 hours max. Same with express but a lot of cashiers like express since no asking the deal of the week.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7930 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:04 pm
Your post seems completely biased and not at all realistic. The union is in place at all the RCSS that I know of and they have health / safety standards in place for their employees which creates a safe working environment. The collective addresses many of your concerns.

While I applaud your concern for the workers, they already have a system in place to address all the concerns within your post so I do not think your hate towards management is at all founded.
This.

Sometimes it's not even the store management but head office that makes these changes. At the end of the day management has to do what they're told to do or guess what, they won't be management for long if they go against the companies orders.

It's like when someone at my work gets fired, all you'll ever hear is the employees side of why and how it was BS. I stay neutral on it every time because I've worked with certain employees in the past who get fired and tell everyone it was for x reason when I know damn well exactly why they were terminated and no one is told the real reason.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13691 posts
4257 upvotes
unclefester wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:36 pm
Can never have enough facts!

Thanks for clarifying!

When I was told the story this morning the term "they" was used...it was "they" were fighting the employee at every turn so I assumed it was the store...

It was the royal "they" that was used so got that one wrong...

Hmmm...

So the store just might well be siding with their employee(s) on this one???

Wouldn't that be fantastic news!

And if said anti fatigue mats are part of the employee rights...how did we get to this stage??

Makes no sense...

It's still bad PR wouldn't you concur?
Your local RCSS has hundreds of employees - if a single employee goes on short term disability there really is no problem. Management has no reason to fight the employee, and in a union environment you have the union to back up whatever you are entitled to. So if you have the proper medical documentation it is between you and your short term disability carrier (and if the carrier is just the store then whatever your collective states).

The "bad PR" of employees complaining when what they are complaining about is within their ability to solve is more of poor employees not knowing what to do.


I think you'll find that, especially in a union environment, the employees are treated quite well.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2013
281 posts
98 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:51 pm




I think you'll find that, especially in a union environment, the employees are treated quite well.

Yes I agree with that...treated better than is sometimes deserved...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1843 posts
123 upvotes
My local RCSS had the mat there for the self checkout person today
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
3047 posts
512 upvotes
Mississauga
Why not put a chair or stool there?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2013
281 posts
98 upvotes
So back to my Superstore today to do some shopping...and perhaps to update this thread...

Sure enough noticed that the employees anti fatigue mat was no where in sight at self checkout...

Had a chat with a long time employee and they told me that management now see the mat as a "tripping hazard"...

The employee said they had made their feelings known to management...


The employee added that they would be bringing their own fatigue mat to work if they had to...

The plot thickens...

Top