Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill

Toddler ID necklace, bracelet, etc?

Hi,

Someone had offered to buy our baby a gift, which is quite popular in Korea. It's a basically a necklace with the kid's name and parents' contact info engraved on it. I've never seen such things here, so I suspect people won't even look for it. I also question its safety since it's worn around the kid's neck.

Any thoughts, or alternatives, or what do parents do here? Thanks!

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I am not sure I understand the purpose. Is it supposed to be jewelry or an ID bracelet in case they are lost?

You can get a medical alert bracelet or id bracelet engraved. I am not sure how necessary it is unless there is a medical need.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
I've never heard of this. Seems like a good idea in case a kid gets lost. My only concern is how long the necklace will stay on. My 4 year old takes everything off.

I want to be super safe, so I'll just tattoo my contact info on the kid. /S
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks for the replies so far. It's basically not for medical reasons, but for identifying the kid if she gets lots. First of all though, I haven't heard of anyone using them here, so I can't imagine anyone checking there for an ID tag. Next is the safety thing... swallowing/choking and strangling.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
I don't really see the benefit of this. If your kid goes missing, you're obviously going to reach out to the police and anyone else needed in order to quickly find your kid. At the same time, other people will take control of your child and do what's needed to find the parents, which will likely involve contacting the police, mall security, etc. You're going to quickly be reunited. Yeah, maybe you'd save a small amount of time if your cell phone number was on your child's necklace, but many people would never think to look at something like that.

Kids generally don't get lost and when they do, they are quickly reunited with their parents.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
People don't use those here. And it could be a safety issue. It could get caught on things. Not worth it.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't put anything around the neck to be honest. My son has a peanut allergy bracelet. I guess you could have one like this with a contact info if you are worried about him getting lost. I usually put one of my business cards with all phone numbers written on it, in my son's backpack and sometimes in his pocket, if we are going in a crowded place and doesn't have a backpack. We make sure he knows it's there.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
As other have said, if you are worried about them getting lost, in most cases the bracelet or neck is not where people would look.

When you think about it, the probably of getting lost is pretty slim. It's usually in larger crowds. When the kids were young, I would put a card that said if lost please call... in busy places, I would write with a sharpie on their arm my number. Kind of like a tatto but less permanent.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
You can get disposable ID braclets online - similar to what is used in the hospital / concerns. You can put it on your child's leg when you go out into a crowded area. They work well and are safe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)