• Oct 11th, 2017 1:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1489 posts
394 upvotes
Sudbury

Toddlers and iPads

Before I get into this...please do not come into this thread telling me my 4 year old doesn't deserve/need an iPad. That isn't the point of this thread.

My son's 4th bday is coming up in the beginning of October (he starts school next week as well). As of lately, he has taken a keen interest to my iPad.

He likes to do spelling games/math games on it and quite frankly I am impressed as to his progress.

He can add numbers and tell me for example (1+5=6) etc..spell his name correctly and count to 100 in both french and english...do the alphabet in french and english, etc.

This being said, we are pretty dead set on getting him his own iPad for his bday. It will come in handy for when we travel (airports. airplanes, etc so he has stuff to watch).

I'm torn between the iPad mini 4 - 32gb or the iPad Gen 5 - 32gb...both are the same price (~$399)...I am thinking the mini is better sized for him?

Pro's of iPad Gen 5 - Better processor, newer, bigger screen
Pro's of iPad Mini - Laminated display, anti-reflective coating, smaller screen (same resolution so better image).

For those of you that have got your toddler an iPad...which did you go with? Looking for some insight here.

Thanks!
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3950 posts
530 upvotes
Aurora
Our son has always had a preference for the full sized ipads so we've gotten those for him (currently Air 2). Incidentally, ive heard the ipad 5 is pretty similar in build to the Air 1.

Kids and broken ipad screens are very common. Keep in mind that mini 4 has non replacable glass, requiring replacement of the entire glass/touchscreen/lcd assembly making repairs very expensive. The ipad 5 appears to have replacable glass which is much cheaper to fix.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1489 posts
394 upvotes
Sudbury
DiceMan wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:09 pm
Our son has always had a preference for the full sized ipads so we've gotten those for him (currently Air 2). Incidentally, ive heard the ipad 5 is pretty similar in build to the Air 1.

Kids and broken ipad screens are very common. Keep in mind that mini 4 has non replacable glass, requiring replacement of the entire glass/touchscreen/lcd assembly making repairs very expensive. The ipad 5 appears to have replacable glass which is much cheaper to fix.
Good points...it would no doubt be in an OtterBox Defender case to ensure durability.

I suppose the difficult screen repair is due to the laminated screen?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23766 posts
1622 upvotes
Hamilton
and here i am thinking of getting my daughter a iPad when she's like 16 months lol
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
It definitely depends on your little one's preference. We got the mini because my son prefers having something that he feels is "him-sized". He can handle it easily, hold it, and is very gentle with it, so I'm not too concerned about the screen. He tried a full iPad, but loves that the smaller size on the mini is manageable and feels like it was made for him (he's 5, but was 4 when we got it).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1489 posts
394 upvotes
Sudbury
thearcade wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:01 am
It definitely depends on your little one's preference. We got the mini because my son prefers having something that he feels is "him-sized". He can handle it easily, hold it, and is very gentle with it, so I'm not too concerned about the screen. He tried a full iPad, but loves that the smaller size on the mini is manageable and feels like it was made for him (he's 5, but was 4 when we got it).
Thanks! I think I will get him the Mini....if he wants a bigger one, I can always return it and get him the bigger one. But you're right, it will be easier for him to manage a small device.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1489 posts
394 upvotes
Sudbury
What about size? 32gb big enough? Get the 128gb? This would allow me to download Netflix shows for offline viewing...

Or do i buy the Wifi + Cellular one and get him the Fido $15/3GB plan?
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
kanewtz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:39 am
What about size? 32gb big enough? Get the 128gb? This would allow me to download Netflix shows for offline viewing...

Or do i buy the Wifi + Cellular one and get him the Fido $15/3GB plan?
We got the 32, but that was JUST before Netflix started offline viewing. And I will admit that it makes a bit of a difference. We are mostly fine, because if we are travelling he tends to play the Toca Boca games exclusively -- but I will admit that the offline shows are a bit of an impediment. We have to delete them all and the redownload them when we travel to keep the storage problem at bay.

So I guess my recommendation would be to get the 128 if you travel a lot -- it will come in handy to keep it loaded with content. If you don't travel much, affine some Netflix shoes each time isn't a big deal, really (and apps take up negligible amounts of space). Far be it from me to tell you to spend more money - we get by fine with 32gb...(it came to Disney, italy). But 128 would have been nice. Then again, shows we had downloaded at 4 (Paw Patrol) are totally out with him now anyway (Chase has been sent back to the pound), so we have to delete and redownload anyways.

As for the 3gb plan... I wouldn't. There is more than enough entertainment to load for offline/travel use, and I think getting the Cell version might be... A touch excessive :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15875 posts
4745 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought my kid a Mini 4 LTE.
Been on several long road trips since I bought it and it's the best thing ever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1489 posts
394 upvotes
Sudbury
Best place to buy the iPad Mini right now?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15875 posts
4745 upvotes
Ottawa
kanewtz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:39 pm
Best place to buy the iPad Mini right now?
Keep an eye out at Walmart and The Source.
The Mini 4 will be discontinued very soon, as there wasn't a "refresh" for 2017.
The 9.7" isn't much heavier, despite the larger screen and it has been on sale at The Source a few times now.
Mar 26, 2004
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
What learning games and/or videos do you recommend? I find there is a ton of stuff out there but hard to weed out alot of it to get good quality material.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15875 posts
4745 upvotes
Ottawa
Fuddi wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:36 pm
What learning games and/or videos do you recommend? I find there is a ton of stuff out there but hard to weed out alot of it to get good quality material.
YouTube Kids and a few colouring apps.
Other than than that, we don't let the kid use it for anything else.
Sep 1, 2011
233 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Fuddi wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:36 pm
I'm fond of the Toca Boca games. They're not learning per se, and they're not free (although they are occasionally the free app of the week) but they're exceptionally well put together and feature very open, creative exploratory play -- they aren't set up with rules -- and the parameters can usually be determined through trial and error. One, Toca Blocks is like a 2D Minecraft, world building game. When I saw it I thought it would be far to difficult for my (then) 4 year old. An hour later, the world he had created (without assistance) was incredible. Toca Nature (another world building game, but focused on nature/animals) is just incredibly zen. Heck, *I* have happily played it, fed my beavers and made sure they had nice forests! Chills me right out.
Apr 23, 2008
286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
kanewtz wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:41 pm
He likes to do spelling games/math games on it and quite frankly I am impressed as to his progress.
He can add numbers and tell me for example (1+5=6) etc..spell his name correctly and count to 100 in both french and english...do the alphabet in french and english, etc.
How did you teach him do addition, spelling and math games? It's impressive for a 4 year old.
Thanks