• Sep 19th, 2017 11:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1425 posts
383 upvotes
smehmood wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:45 pm
How did you teach him do addition, spelling and math games? It's impressive for a 4 year old.
Thanks
He's very intellectual and loves numbers/letters.

My sister-in-law is a JK teacher and he would go once a week into her classroom and hang out with the JK's last year.

I started first showing him on his hand (using fingers) how to count/add.

Now he recognizes the numbers and can do simple addition/subtraction using either an iPad or pen/paper.

He's also able to write his name, my name, my wife's name and is little sisters name. (mind you it isn't the prettiest...LOL).

In our living room we have an eisle type thing with a huge white board and use dry erase markers.

My mom is also a retired JK teacher and usually does learning activities/things with him.

He is somewhat addicted to the TV so any chance we can get him away from watching NetFlix...we do.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
kanewtz wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:02 am
He's very intellectual and loves numbers/letters.

My sister-in-law is a JK teacher and he would go once a week into her classroom and hang out with the JK's last year.

I started first showing him on his hand (using fingers) how to count/add.

Now he recognizes the numbers and can do simple addition/subtraction using either an iPad or pen/paper.

He's also able to write his name, my name, my wife's name and is little sisters name. (mind you it isn't the prettiest...LOL).

In our living room we have an eisle type thing with a huge white board and use dry erase markers.

My mom is also a retired JK teacher and usually does learning activities/things with him.

He is somewhat addicted to the TV so any chance we can get him away from watching NetFlix...we do.
Smart boy, you should have him assessed and enrolled in the gifted program; when the time comes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1425 posts
383 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:10 am
Smart boy, you should have him assessed and enrolled in the gifted program; when the time comes.
My fear is he will become a serial killer as he lacks empathy and is quite intellectual...

He starts school tomorrow, so I'm sure the teacher will asses/test him to see where he stands among his peers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1425 posts
383 upvotes
How advanced is the iPad Mini 2?? Would it hold up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1425 posts
383 upvotes
Well got an iPad Mini 2 for a great price. Hope he enjoys it!
Jun 23, 2016
24 posts
7 upvotes
I love how basically every parent says they won't get their toddler an Ipad and then they do it anyway. No advice for you. My 4 year old plays outside and with friends, and we have books that teach educational things and games. I will save the kid's eyesight while I can.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
Mindy82 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:24 pm
I love how basically every parent says they won't get their toddler an Ipad and then they do it anyway. No advice for you. My 4 year old plays outside and with friends, and we have books that teach educational things and games. I will save the kid's eyesight while I can.
You'd be suprised how much time they get with tablets in school?
My kid's school revolves around technology and they have daily journals that is either recorded or uploaded with an Ipad in the classroom; on an app for parents to see daily.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1425 posts
383 upvotes
Mindy82 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:24 pm
You obviously didn't read the first line of my original post.

Awesome that your 4 year old plays outside with friends. Mine does too...we should get together and discuss that more. Perhaps even bake hero cookies to distribute to all the other 4 years old playing outside.

Secondly, he has books and such. There is nothing wrong with introduction technology to him. As I said, he has learnt a great deal from the iPad already in regards to mathematics and linguistics.
Jan 2, 2015
946 posts
336 upvotes
kanewtz wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:01 pm
My fear is he will become a serial killer as he lacks empathy and is quite intellectual...

He starts school tomorrow, so I'm sure the teacher will asses/test him to see where he stands among his peers.
Keep up with the social and the empathy part, specially if he is gifted. Both mine were readin full novels by 4 , and multiple and division by 5. The oldest has tested in the top 99 percentile, so acedemically there is no concern. However, socially it is hard fo her to relate so guess what we spend a lot of time on? My hint with technology, especially with introverted, gifted kids, is be extremely careful, as it is an crutch for them to rely on. It starts to become a 'calming/coping' mechanism, and they don't learn to cope with it. After a little time, they start to use it more, and they are more prone to become addicted to it, where they start to become Irritable.

It is very easy to over rely on technology especially for challenge for bright kids. I have gone as far as finding challenges, and then printing them out and mounting them on card stock.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Sep 18th, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Jun 23, 2016
24 posts
7 upvotes
Exactly. They get plenty of time already in schools.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
Mindy82 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:11 am
Exactly. They get plenty of time already in schools.
So, what's the problem to use at home also?