Shopping Discussion

Toilet Paper Calculation Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 6:46 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1081 posts
52 upvotes
Does it mean No Frills Royale is the cheapest? Its on sale this week...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5014 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
busybe wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:16 am
Does it mean No Frills Royale is the cheapest? Its on sale this week...
check the pricing ... its also the thinnest and dustiest.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1081 posts
52 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 3:16 pm
check the pricing ... its also the thinnest and dustiest.
Oh, ok, yes checked your grid and it is on the top
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2741 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
I thinl that the toilet paper you buy is a direct reflection of your financial success in life. I'll never forget the feeling of accomplishment and pride I felt when I was able to start buying the 3rd ply....
Dec 11, 2016
36 posts
27 upvotes
Thats some real dedication....for toilet paper
Sep 26, 2011
58 posts
27 upvotes
Be careful buying "bathroom tissue" at Walmart, where they like to play games with customer

At my local store, they have a habit of putting crates of items that are similar to, but not the same size packages as ones on sale, near the front entrance of the store. Twice in recent memory including this week, "24=48" rolls of Cashmere toilet paper have been advertised on sale in the flyer at $7.93, yet suspiciously a huge stack of the "12=24" rolls are moved to the front of the store priced at the regular $7.97, for the week when the flyer is in effect. Obviously they're trying to trick customers who aren't paying close attention, and who will simply grab what looks to be the sale item on their way into the store, instead of carefully going to the paper products aisle and finding the correct size package. Price differs by just four cents, yet the unit cost varies by 200%! Sneaky buggers at work, deciding which products to showcase versus ones actually on sale. Neutral Face
It's bad enough that this store has used the excuse that they're a "smaller" location and can't stock all large items, when I've tried to purchase the "30=60" roll packages that go on sale once a year or so, even though the website says they always have stock. Funny, they always have a space for it on the shelf when it's not on sale, too.
Off-topic, but I noticed the same Walmart store still has 90% unsold inventory of a huge pallet of HP copier/printer paper sitting where it was several weeks ago, when I bought a ream for $3.97 -- now that the sale's over, it's back to $5.47. Yeah, the genius MBAs at corporate HQ must give zero pricing latitude to store managers, if they think this overstock is ever going to move now that back to school is over. :rolleyes:
Aug 12, 2017
43 posts
4 upvotes
Some people on Amazon are selling for ridiculous prices. One was almost $6 a roll. I see this frequently on Amazon.ca where people list common items for ridiculous prices. Are they hoping for a fluke sale? I don't understand this.

If you're concerned about toilet paper cost, make up a bidet. You'll save way more that way and its much better/cleaner/more hygienic. The easiest way is probably to run a shower hose from your bathroom sink if the toilet is close because then you can control the temperature from the sink. The more challenging part to the DIY route is mounting a sprayer under the toilet seat. If your setup doesn't cooperate like that just buy the seat with everything in it and run both the hot and cold water lines to it. Places like Home Depot have the splitters/diverters/Y adapters you'll need pretty cheap. You can use a computer fan (120mm) to blast your rear to dry it so you use zero toilet paper.

Another bidet option is to use something like the Aquaus 360. Note the long wand length. This is exceedingly smart. No one wants to put their hand down there. That's just gross. You can get plastic portable bidets for a buck or so on Ebay. You then take the wand that's angled and attach it to a sprayer like this: https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/ ... 001082.jpg after removing screwed on aerator. Check that the threads match or get an adapter. Use a shower hose like this to bring the water to the toilet.
https://www.plumbtap.com/ekmps/shops/da ... 3033-p.jpg
Last edited by BobMackie on Oct 1st, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 12, 2017
43 posts
4 upvotes
Why not weigh it? Yesterday I tried that and found huge differences. With thickness and square dimensions varying, perhaps weight is a clearer indication of value.
1 package of 12 double rolls weighed about 750 grams.
Another one of 12 double rolls weighed about 1100 grams. Both were priced around $4.50. I wonder which is the better value?
Another package of 24 double rolls weighed 1960 rams for $7. Do the math and you'll see that's a little more expensive than the 1100 gram one.
The downside to this is you get very strange looks when you haul these packages to an unused cashier terminal to weigh them. Most large ones may not fit in those manual weighing scales that are usually found in the produce area. Depends on if its a hanging/suspended one or not. If its a compression type/countertop one that will work fine. But you need to take several from the toilet paper section to the produce section so you may need a cart instead of a basket. Not a big deal. And bring a calculator/phone with calculator app!

But then again, a bidet is a much better choice. Zero toilet paper consumption sounds cheaper. And better on your butt.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1474 posts
780 upvotes
@porksoda another one for the spreadsheet.

Was in Costco today, and picked up some TP on sale.

Cashmere on Sale $ 14.99 (Regular Price = $ 19.99)
40 Rolls of 2 Ply
234 Sheets per Roll
9.9 cm x 10.1 cm sheets

Have not done the math... But based on the entry here from August 2016... I think it is
That one had fewer rolls (32) but more sheets per roll (293)

COSTCO - August 16, 2016

$ 14.99
32 Rolls of 2 Ply
293 Sheets per Roll
$ 0.0152 / Sq Feet
$ 0.00159876 / Sheet
$ 1.5988 / 1000 Sheets
Oct 14, 2017
18 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
BobMackie wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
Why not weigh it? Yesterday I tried that and found huge differences. With thickness and square dimensions varying, perhaps weight is a clearer indication of value.
Another one of 12 double rolls weighed about 1100 grams. Both were priced around $4.50. I wonder which is the better value?
Another package of 24 double rolls weighed 1960 rams for $7.
In the interest of accuracy, shouldn't you remove the plastic packaging, and also check if the tubes are the same weight across different brands so that you're only comparing the weights of the actual toilet paper? }:-p
Aug 12, 2017
43 posts
4 upvotes
Duly noted. Also there's also the issue of bacteria. Those pesky critters can ruin the most careful of scientific measurements.

Seriously though, some people/families spend a significant amount on toilet paper. If you're not going to go the smart/bidet route, weight I think is the most accurate (and pretty fast) way to ascertain value. At least after you measure a few you can make note of the weights and refer to it in the future so you don't have to weigh packages every time you're buying.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15698 posts
4438 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
good poo jokes

oh and I respect the OP's toilet paper dedication
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5014 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
BobMackie wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:28 pm
Some people on Amazon are selling for ridiculous prices. One was almost $6 a roll. I see this frequently on Amazon.ca where people list common items for ridiculous prices. Are they hoping for a fluke sale? I don't understand this.

If you're concerned about toilet paper cost, make up a bidet. You'll save way more that way and its much better/cleaner/more hygienic. The easiest way is probably to run a shower hose from your bathroom sink if the toilet is close because then you can control the temperature from the sink. The more challenging part to the DIY route is mounting a sprayer under the toilet seat. If your setup doesn't cooperate like that just buy the seat with everything in it and run both the hot and cold water lines to it. Places like Home Depot have the splitters/diverters/Y adapters you'll need pretty cheap. You can use a computer fan (120mm) to blast your rear to dry it so you use zero toilet paper.

Another bidet option is to use something like the Aquaus 360. Note the long wand length. This is exceedingly smart. No one wants to put their hand down there. That's just gross. You can get plastic portable bidets for a buck or so on Ebay. You then take the wand that's angled and attach it to a sprayer like this: https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/ ... 001082.jpg after removing screwed on aerator. Check that the threads match or get an adapter. Use a shower hose like this to bring the water to the toilet.
https://www.plumbtap.com/ekmps/shops/da ... 3033-p.jpg
I think bidet is the best bet but a lot of people are reluctant. I don't understand how smearing layer of poo with paper is better than essentially washing the area.
BobMackie wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
Another package of 24 double rolls weighed 1960 rams for $7. Do the math and you'll see that's a little more expensive than the 1100 gram one.
The downside to this is you get very strange looks when you haul these packages to an unused cashier terminal to weigh them. Most large ones may not fit in those manual weighing scales that are usually found in the produce area. Depends on if its a hanging/suspended one or not. If its a compression type/countertop one that will work fine. But you need to take several from the toilet paper section to the produce section so you may need a cart instead of a basket. Not a big deal. And bring a calculator/phone with calculator app!

But then again, a bidet is a much better choice. Zero toilet paper consumption sounds cheaper. And better on your butt.
Weighing would be excellent and i can add a column for it, but i think its hard to weigh the product unless someone buys them and opens it and weighs it.
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:29 pm
@porksoda another one for the spreadsheet.

Was in Costco today, and picked up some TP on sale.

Cashmere on Sale $ 14.99 (Regular Price = $ 19.99)
40 Rolls of 2 Ply
234 Sheets per Roll
9.9 cm x 10.1 cm sheets

Have not done the math... But based on the entry here from August 2016... I think it is
That one had fewer rolls (32) but more sheets per roll (293)

COSTCO - August 16, 2016

$ 14.99
32 Rolls of 2 Ply
293 Sheets per Roll
$ 0.0152 / Sq Feet
$ 0.00159876 / Sheet
$ 1.5988 / 1000 Sheets
Added. thanks

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Aug 12, 2017
43 posts
4 upvotes
> Weighing would be excellent and i can add a column for it, but i think its hard to weigh the product unless someone buys them and opens it and weighs it.

Toilet paper rolls are encased in plastic. Why would someone have to open it? The toilet paper is 99.9% of the weight of the package. Almost any place that sells toilet paper has a weighing scale. I suppose the only place that wouldn't would be a pharmacy but they rarely have good prices anyway. Its too small an operation. OK London Drugs is an example of a store that might have good prices on toilet paper and not have a scale. But we all know the major brands. Just weigh those brands at a place with a scale so you know them for reference in the future. Or one could bring a small digital scale and a board to put a large package of toilet paper on, something that would be too large to see the display of the scale.
Last edited by BobMackie on Nov 14th, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.