[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5501 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
BobMackie wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:46 pm
> Weighing would be excellent and i can add a column for it, but i think its hard to weigh the product unless someone buys them and opens it and weighs it.

Toilet paper rolls are encased in plastic. Why would someone have to open it? The toilet paper is 99.9% of the weight of the package. Almost any place that sells toilet paper has a weighing scale. I suppose the only place that wouldn't would be a pharmacy but they rarely have good prices anyway. Its too small an operation. OK London Drugs is an example of a store that might have good price on toilet paper and not have a scale. But we all know the major brands. Just weigh those brands at a place with a scale so you know them for reference in the future. Or one could bring a scale I suppose and a board to put on the scale to put the large package of toilet paper on.
I don't think most folks wouldn't provide that info but i can add the column and we can start populating it!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5559 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
Any deals on tp lately? Running low - need to stock up
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 8:12 am
You’d probably have more luck looking in the Hot Deals Forum than here.
May 28, 2012
9796 posts
2003 upvotes
Saskatoon
If you use the Flipp app, just do a search on your phone and it will give you the best prices of tp for your area. There is always tp on sale somewhere or another and you can use the app to pricematch at participating stores.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5501 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 8:12 am
Depends on what you are looking for, like others said do a flipp search if you are looking for a specific brand, if you are not then the kirkland seems to be in the running for best value but some don't like the quality.
Aug 16, 2010
421 posts
142 upvotes
Langley, BC
I started a spreadsheet on toilet paper before I found this thread.
all of these are february 2018 sale prices, 2ply, and 9.9x10.1cm sheet size (so 99.99 sq cm per sheet)

Costco, Purex premium, 40 rolls, 234 sheets per roll, 15.99 sale price, 0.17085 per square meter
Walmart, Purex pure comfort, 24 rolls, 253 sheets per roll, 9.93 sale price, 0.163554 per square meter
Safeway, Royale original, 12 rolls, 253 sheets per roll, 3.98 sale price, 0.131107 per square meter

I also got some Royale Velour from superstore but the price is high (>.22 per square meter)
I have "price per regular roll" but that seems subjective to what the manufacturer states.

It looks like the Royale Original from Safeway was the best of these. The packages are heavy for the price too.
I have a good scale and a large supply of toilet paper so I will be weighing the rolls and adding that to my data.

Thank you to the OP for all their work, I am impressed!
Is there a way to add my data to your spreadsheet?

Has anyone done a spreadsheet on paper towels? I will gladly collaborate on that project.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
fred koenig wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:55 am
all of these are february 2018 sale prices, 2ply, and 9.9x10.1cm sheet size (so 99.99 sq cm per sheet)

Costco, Purex premium, 40 rolls, 234 sheets per roll, 15.99 sale price, 0.17085 per square meter
Walmart, Purex pure comfort, 24 rolls, 253 sheets per roll, 9.93 sale price, 0.163554 per square meter
Safeway, Royale original, 12 rolls, 253 sheets per roll, 3.98 sale price, 0.131107 per square meter

I also got some Royale Velour from superstore but the price is high (>.22 per square meter)
I have "price per regular roll" but that seems subjective to what the manufacturer states.

It looks like the Royale Original from Safeway was the best of these. The packages are heavy for the price too.
I have a good scale and a large supply of toilet paper so I will be weighing the rolls and adding that to my data.

Has anyone done a spreadsheet on paper towels? I will gladly collaborate on that project.
The OP usually incorporates info that posters like yourself provide here on this TP Thread.

I’d be in for a PT Thread.

We are a Bounty house... our current rule of thumb has been price must be less than $ 1 a regular roll, and preferably select-a-size (cause they go much further in the long run)

Best deal, at a glance (have never done all the mathematical calculations) in the last year was 6 rolls for $ 3.99 at Loblaws Group. We did a major stock up then.
Oct 14, 2017
521 posts
295 upvotes
GTA
In case this helps:

Cashmere Enviro 297 sheets per dbl roll weighs 106 gm; an unused roll weighed 111 and the tube from the previous roll weighed 5 on my kitchen scale which weighs to +/- 1 gm.

Fwiw, I tried this because it was cheap, but I find it to be pretty low-quality, so I don't intend to buy it again regardless of the price.
Aug 16, 2010
421 posts
142 upvotes
Langley, BC
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 12:57 pm
Toilet Paper = TP
Paper Towels = PT
mind blown
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5501 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
fred koenig wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks. No problem if you send me the data i can add it on. basically the items i need are date, store, brand, price, rolls, sheets, ply, length and width of the sheet.
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 12:57 pm

The OP usually incorporates info that posters like yourself provide here on this TP Thread.

We are a Bounty house... our current rule of thumb has been price must be less than $ 1 a regular roll, and preferably select-a-size (cause they go much further in the long run)

Best deal, at a glance (have never done all the mathematical calculations) in the last year was 6 rolls for $ 3.99 at Loblaws Group. We did a major stock up then.
I can add a section for PT as well, i usually stick to Bounty as well but we don't use very much i have a costco pack from about few years ago still few rolls left.
Jonric wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 1:15 pm
In case this helps:

Cashmere Enviro 297 sheets per dbl roll weighs 106 gm; an unused roll weighed 111 and the tube from the previous roll weighed 5 on my kitchen scale which weighs to +/- 1 gm.

Fwiw, I tried this because it was cheap, but I find it to be pretty low-quality, so I don't intend to buy it again regardless of the price.
I should incorporate the weight as well, i will still require other values so we can do weight and by area as well? Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
fred koenig wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 1:52 pm
Toilet Paper = TP
Paper Towels = PT
mind blown
Lol... seriously you’ve never heard of TP or PT.
Pretty common abbreviation in Scouting, Military, and Govt by my experience
Aug 16, 2010
421 posts
142 upvotes
Langley, BC
royale original from safeway from safeway 12x253 pack
average weight of 6 rolls
110.65 gm/roll

Purex pure comfort 24x253 pack from walmart
average weight of 4 rolls
107.875 gm/roll

these are gross weights including center cardboard tube
the purex tube seems more flimsy than the royale one

if you are able to get the royale coupon or do the 10 gift card with 100 purchase deal at safeway then it gets even better
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5501 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
fred koenig wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 2:11 pm
royale original from safeway from safeway 12x253 pack
average weight of 6 rolls
110.65 gm/roll

Purex pure comfort 24x253 pack from walmart
average weight of 4 rolls
107.875 gm/roll

these are gross weights including center cardboard tube
the purex tube seems more flimsy than the royale one

if you are able to get the royale coupon or do the 10 gift card with 100 purchase deal at safeway then it gets even better
I added your calculations to the original post. I did one for kirkland as it was on hand and i did it by removing the inner tube which weighed at 6.7gms and the roll with the inner tube weighed 187.5gms so net was 180.8 gms for one costco roll i measured.
Oct 14, 2017
521 posts
295 upvotes
GTA
porksoda wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 2:01 pm
I should incorporate the weight as well, i will still require other values so we can do weight and by area as well? Thoughts?
I remember weight came up a while back. It seems like it might well be helpful since sheets from different brands seem to vary significantly in strength / flimsiness, which would be much more difficult to quantify then weight. Although the two won't correlate 100%, weight seems far more practical in terms of being able to gather data.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5501 posts
1200 upvotes
GTA
Jonric wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 2:33 pm
I remember weight came up a while back. It seems like it might well be helpful since sheets from different brands seem to vary significantly in strength / flimsiness, which would be much more difficult to quantify then weight. Although the two won't correlate 100%, weight seems far more practical in terms of being able to gather data.
Yes it sure did and i think it fell through the cracks, i have added $ / Kg column now and have populated for the available items!

From many threads i have read i found people prefer Cottenelle, then charmin and then costco and others!
Strength and flimsiness is for sure an attribute that is important but hard to quantify for sure. Atleast this way we have many different points that may help buyers to see the data and get whichever they prefer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)